bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:58 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Perhaps they could be taught Latin too, just to fully round out their "useless skills" set?

I dunno..when that EMP hits and all electronics goes down...hahaha

and I like Latin, yes useless but still a cool language of which many modern languages are dialects of.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:29 pm

German is my favorite language.

Das ist ein riesiger Schmetterling. Yell that at someone.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:46 pm

sounds dirty!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:32 pm

Achtung

ALLES TURISTEN UND NONTEKNISCHEN LOOKENSPEEPERS!
DAS KOMPUTERMASCHINE IST NICHT FÜR DER GEFINGERPOKEN UND MITTENGRABEN! ODERWISE IST EASY TO SCHNAPPEN DER SPRINGENWERK, BLOWENFUSEN UND POPPENCORKEN MIT SPITZENSPARKEN.
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:42 pm

While we're at it, let's legislate courses in animal husbandry and blacksmithing. :idea:

Cursive is obsolete and I don't see any reason why it needs to be taught.

Hell, I learnt it and because I don't use it except to sign a very occasional cheque, I couldn't tell you how to write any letters outside of those in my name.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:43 pm

uwish uwish:
I dunno..when that EMP hits and all electronics goes down...hahaha

If an EMP hits, cursive will be the least of their worries, starvation and sanitation will be much higher priorities.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Until the robots take over, doctors should be taught how to write in block capitals. I never get over how much of their writing remains illegible.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:02 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
While we're at it, let's legislate courses in animal husbandry and blacksmithing. :idea:

Cursive is obsolete and I don't see any reason why it needs to be taught.

Hell, I learnt it and because I don't use it except to sign a very occasional cheque, I couldn't tell you how to write any letters outside of those in my name.

I have a deep loathing of cursive writing, in part because of my sadistic third-grade teacher who'd yell at us because our writing wasn't neat enough, but more so because my limited fine motor skills made writing cursive a pain in the ass.

It was slow, awkward, ugly, and even painful after a while to write in cursive. I stopped writing cursive after third grade and have relied on printing ever since aside from signing cheques like Boots does.

Cursive is a dying art?

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:19 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
CharlesAnthony CharlesAnthony:
Without a mastery of cursive, youngsters are deprived of the ability to read historical documents.

Which could be the reason to make sure the kids are ignorant.

I suspect it's more the lack of parental guidance and the rise of the video game.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:28 am

bootlegga bootlegga:

Actually, Smithing and knife making are things I always wanted to try. Love the show "Forged in Fire".

Handy skills for the zombie apocalypse too. I grew up on farms, so the animal thing I already have down. ;)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:14 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Actually, Smithing and knife making are things I always wanted to try. Love the show "Forged in Fire".

Handy skills for the zombie apocalypse too. I grew up on farms, so the animal thing I already have down. ;)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:24 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Love the show "Forged in Fire".

I do too. Brings back all the fun metallurgy stuff for me that we did in welding tech at SAIT. That other Forged show with Bill Goldberg though is awful. That contest they run them through is bullshit because knives, even the heavy ones, weren't meant for hacking through wood. That's why axes were invented at the same point in time as knives, to do the heavy chop/crush through wood and bone. Using knives in that way is as pointless and wasteful as shooting at the side of a Tiger tank with a .22.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:38 am

Thanos Thanos:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Love the show "Forged in Fire".

I do too. Brings back all the fun metallurgy stuff for me that we did in welding tech at SAIT.

Same. Metals/Chemistry and Materials Science was just cool in University. I do woodworking with planes and chisels, and it would be cool to make my own out of car springs and things.

Thanos Thanos:
That other Forged show with Bill Goldberg though is awful. That contest they run them through is bullshit because knives, even the heavy ones, weren't meant for hacking through wood. That's why axes were invented at the same point in time as knives, to do the heavy chop/crush through wood and bone. Using knives in that way is as pointless and wasteful as shooting at the side of a Tiger tank with a .22.

I got about 15 minutes into that show "Knife or Death", then turned it off. Pointless. At least Forged In Fire does some realistic testing, like swords vs shields or Armour. Although "J." is pretty ruthless on a bone or horn chop. :twisted:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:42 am

I'm actually working on my Spencerian calligraphy these days. Friggin' kids can't read it at all!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:43 am

Fountain Pens are the best pens