Category: Law & Order
Posted By: N_Fiddledog
Date: 2019-12-20 10:05:09

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:20 am

Burn an alphabet flag - 16 years in prison.

Do this though:

No charges.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:20 pm

So he burned someone else's property and got charged with arson.

Why is this news?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:34 pm

Because teh gays!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:38 pm

$1:
Adolfo Martinez, 30, of Ames, was found guilty last month of third-degree arson in violation of individual rights — hate crime, third-degree harassment, and reckless use of fire as a habitual offender.

Explain to me why burning the American flag is considered by some to be a valid statement of displeasure with someone or something while burning a LGBTQ2 flag is now considered a crime? And, what individual owns the LGBTQ2 flag anymore than what individual owns the American flag.

But, to be honest the only reason this idiot got sentenced to 16 big ones was because he was stupid enough to burn a LGBTQ2 flag in the current politically correct supercharged climate, while being a habitual offender.

A TV tuned to the news channel, a newspaper subscription and an internet connection so he could keep up with current events, combined with a little common sense on his part would have gone alongway in keeping him out of the rattle.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:50 pm

If you had a repeat offender record, stole my marijuana flag and burned it you'd be sentenced too. Probably for a couple months, we don't have these assinine three strike laws here.
Burning your own flag is another matter. You might get a punch in the face from a bystander or a ticket for no fire permit.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:56 pm

Tricks Tricks:
So he burned someone else's property and got charged with arson.

Why is this news?

16 years for burning a flag? FFS that is beyond stupid.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:00 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
$1:
Adolfo Martinez, 30, of Ames, was found guilty last month of third-degree arson in violation of individual rights — hate crime, third-degree harassment, and reckless use of fire as a habitual offender.

Explain to me why burning the American flag is considered by some to be a valid statement of displeasure with someone or something while burning a LGBTQ2 flag is now considered a crime? And, what individual owns the LGBTQ2 flag anymore than what individual owns the American flag.

But, to be honest the only reason this idiot got sentenced to 16 big ones was because he was stupid enough to burn a LGBTQ2 flag in the current politically correct supercharged climate, while being a habitual offender.

A TV tuned to the news channel, a newspaper subscription and an internet connection so he could keep up with current events, combined with a little common sense on his part would have gone alongway in keeping him out of the rattle.

R=UP 16 years for burning a flag that an infinitesimally small segment of the population cares about - now that is most definitely PC madness.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:16 pm

I think the problem is twofold

1. This wasn't his first conviction
2. The law doesn't set different jail sentences for different objects, it say if you burn x the max you can get is y

Because he was a repeat offender, he got the max.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:34 pm

Explain to me why burning the American flag is considered by some to be a valid statement of displeasure with someone or something while burning a LGBTQ2 flag is now considered a crime?
Because it wasn't his. Pretty simple. If I burn Bart's American flag, I'm committing a crime. If I buy a flag and burn it I'm not.

$1:
And, what individual owns the LGBTQ2 flag anymore than what individual owns the American flag.
You can't possibly be that obtuse.

$1:
Yes it is. The same way that if a Klansman burned someone's cross, they'd get hit with an increased punishment.

Last edited by Tricks on Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Mowich Mowich:
$1:

R=UP 16 years for burning a flag that an infinitesimally small segment of the population cares about - now that is most definitely PC madness.

The size of the population doesn't matter. What a completely ridiculous justification for letting a criminal off with a lesser sentence.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:50 pm

llama66 llama66:
I think the problem is twofold

1. This wasn't his first conviction
2. The law doesn't set different jail sentences for different objects, it say if you burn x the max you can get is y

Because he was a repeat offender, he got the max.

You're absolutely correct, I over looked that myself.

He was convicted of third degree arson - max 2 years
Third degree harassment - 30 days
Reckless use of fire or explosives - 1 year max

But because the person himself set fire to flag BECAUSE it was an LGBT flag, prosecutors added a hate crime enhancement. (The same way would happen if someone say they painted a swastika on that wall because it was a Synagogue).

Iowa law states:
$1:
712.9 Violations of individual rights — penalties.
A violation of sections 712.3 through 712.8, which is also a hate crime as defined in section
729A.2, shall be classified and punished as an offense one degree higher than the underlying
offense.

So that turns it from Third degree arson, an aggravated misdemeanor to a class d felony. Which makes the max prison sentence 5 years. But because he has been convicted of two prior felonies in court, he gets sentenced as a habitual offender. Anyone being sentenced as a habitual offender gets a max of 15 years regardless of crime (unless, I assume, the crime carries a higher penalty).

$1:
Maximum sentence for felons.
1. The maximum sentence for any person convicted of a felony shall be that prescribed
by statute or, if not prescribed by statute, if other than a class “A” felony shall be determined
as follows:
a. A felon sentenced for a first conviction for a violation of section 124.401D, shall be
confined for no more than ninety-nine years.
b. A class “B” felon shall be confined for no more than twenty-five years.
c. An habitual offender shall be confined for no more than fifteen years.

So now it's Arson - 15 years
Harassment 30 days
Reckless use - 1 year

Good catch Llama

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:54 pm

But lets not let the fact that the guy is an unrepentant remorseless offender stop people from defending him because of the scary gays.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:16 pm

Habitual offender = three-strike loser. And if he enjoys playing with fire then he deserves a long sentence before he ends up killing someone in an arson-gone-wrong.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:56 pm

Tricks Tricks:
But lets not let the fact that the guy is an unrepentant remorseless offender stop people from defending him because of the scary gays.

Or the fact is questioning the law itself that allows such a ridiculously long sentence.
Gotta keep the jails full.