canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:13 pm

Title: Liberal bill on coronavirus would give feds power to spend, tax without parliamentary approval
Category: Political
Posted By: Freakinoldguy
Date: 2020-03-23 22:03:19
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:13 pm

Surprise, surprise. The first steps by Trudeau and the Liberals in making Canada an oligarchy under their rule.

Now don't get me wrong. I can see this being necessary during the crisis where Parliament can't convene. But, to grant yourself this unprecedented right to tax and spend at will for over a year and a half past the current date with no checks or balances by Parliament is more than a little unconstitutional and so deceitful that it's only been done before by Royalty and dictators.

Anybody remember what caused the American Revolution? "No taxation without representation". Well that's exactly what this is.

And, what's next for the Liberal Party of Canada. Proroguing parliament for the next number of years so they can "fix" the country?

Last edited by Freakinoldguy on Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:24 pm

It’s not unconstitutional fyi. But also note if you now go to the article it says the liberals have now amended the bill to remove that clause.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:26 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
It’s not unconstitutional fyi. But also note if you now go to the article it says the liberals have now amended the bill to remove that clause.

Explain to me how it's not unconstitutional to tax without representation and you might want to read this again:

$1:
The Canadian Constitution enshrines taxation as a power of the parliamentary branch.

$1:
It also means many of the measures carried out under those new powers could take place without parliamentary debate and without the elected representatives of Canadians getting a chance to vote for or against the measures.

And this bill blindsided the opposition parties, but my guess is the Liberals thought they'd get it through without anyone noticing or complaining.

$1:
An opposition source said that they have been working closely with the government and did not see this bill coming. They felt it has caused damage to cross-party goodwill, they said.

And could you point out the part of the article that said the Liberals pulled the bill because I couldn't find it?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:58 am

Globe and Mail have already reported that the Liberals have backed down and shelved that part of the bill, due to overwhelming opposition to it.

I had put my partisan squabbles aside for the current crisis, and even praised Trudeau because I thought this crisis may have changed him for the good. Boy was I wrong! Who in their right minds tries to grab that kind of power during a situation like this?

It's absolutely deplorable, and you know what? Fuck Trudeau. What he tried to do should infuriate ALL Canadians, especially when we need to pull together now more than ever during this emergency.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:30 am

Sad thing is I can see this happening in the US and many other Nations.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:14 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
I love how you just blow off the fact it was in there in the first place. C'mon Beave, what kind of scumbag goes for a power grab at a time like this? The fact they even tried to slide it in there should be an indicator, even to you, of just what kind of power hungry twit Groper and gang actually are.

Again, I find it curious that Groper didn't give two shits about the virus until his hag of a fish wife tested positive. Close the borders? Nahh, wait until wifey gets it first, then we'll start doing something, the fuck with the rank and file Canadians until then.
And then when the little worm finally DOES do something, one of the first things he does is go for a fucking power grab?!?

You'd think the stupid little dick would have learned after taking his party from a majority govt to a barely squeaked out minority govt. But no, Groper isn't smart enough to learn from his mistakes. He reminds me of one of the Plantagenet kings, whose name escapes me at the moment. He tends to rule in the moment with absolutely ZERO thought, or even understanding, about what effect his actions and words will have beyond today.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:23 am

$1:
Explain to me how it's not unconstitutional to tax without representation

"Dealer Prep" charges when you buy a car
Yearly renewal fee on a credit card
Charges per ATM withdrawal
Charges for a paper copy of your bill
Percent charges for Banks "handling cash"

Any time you're being charged for nothing at all are taxes invented by business interests you don't get to vote for.
The gov't you can throw out every 4 years. You're "represented".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:54 am

herbie herbie:
$1:
Explain to me how it's not unconstitutional to tax without representation

"Dealer Prep" charges when you buy a car
Yearly renewal fee on a credit card
Charges per ATM withdrawal
Charges for a paper copy of your bill
Percent charges for Banks "handling cash"

Any time you're being charged for nothing at all are taxes invented by business interests you don't get to vote for.
The gov't you can throw out every 4 years. You're "represented".

I'm sorry but those things aren't taxes. You have the option of not using those services or making those purchases. Try not paying your taxes and let me know how well that works out for you.

Ergo, taxation without representation.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Pittsburgh Penguins
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:04 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Globe and Mail have already reported that the Liberals have backed down and shelved that part of the bill, due to overwhelming opposition to it.

I had put my partisan squabbles aside for the current crisis, and even praised Trudeau because I thought this crisis may have changed him for the good. Boy was I wrong! Who in their right minds tries to grab that kind of power during a situation like this?

It's absolutely deplorable, and you know what? Fuck Trudeau. What he tried to do should infuriate ALL Canadians, especially when we need to pull together now more than ever during this emergency.

-J.

R=UP R=UP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:40 pm

You get to vote for Caesar every 4 years or so.
Ergo, representation. Rinse and repeat.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:48 pm

herbie herbie:
You get to vote for Caesar every 4 years or so.
Ergo, representation. Rinse and repeat.

So what would you suggest to solve your rinse and repeat dilemma? Dictatorship, oligarchy, communism? All of which would eliminate the need for representation of the people when the gov't taxes the living shit out of us.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:06 pm

:roll:

There's an old saying that in Canada, governments defeat themselves. It wasn't Scheer, Singh or May that reduced Trudeau to minority in the last election-it was Trudeau himself. Pretty much problem Trudeau's had since he got elected he's brought on himself.

I don't know who comes off worse from Trudeau being reduced to a minority, Trudeau himself for causing it or the Opposition leaders for not being able to dethrone him altogether.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:18 pm

$1:

So what would you suggest to solve your rinse and repeat dilemma? Dictatorship, oligarchy, communism? All of which would eliminate the need for representation of the people when the gov't taxes the living shit out of us.

As Churchill said, it may be a terrible system but it's better than the alternatives.
Sometimes you must vote for the best candidate in your riding, might be Independent or Green or Christian bloody Heritage, and hold your nose over the leader/party fixation.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:26 am

BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Yet they did try to do this. You don't seem upset over it. I'm curious why?