canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:26 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Superstore employees are unionized. UFCW.

a quick google tells me that that doesn't seem to have helped the poor bastards wages much

anyway, good job rick, this is the line, tattered flags. you should probably start here for more of your questions...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:32 pm

Public_Domain Public_Domain:
also, i mean, i don't really forgo many "norms"? i don't have a flagpole sticking out the front of my house, i guess? i still tend to go to canada day events, because it's something to do. i don't know what other UnCanadian societal norms i allegedly mess with on a day-to-day basis. i don't watch hockey anymore so, i guess there's that

No, I don't do those either. I mean you don't seem to have the same reverence for the state of Canada as many Canadians. You don't take the same pride in it's symbols or history. Nothing wrong with it, just that is where I see your not understanding how a flag worn around the crotch and dragged in the mud could be considered offensive to some. And just as offensive if it were hung tattered and faded on a flag pole.

maybe compared to some of the patriots here i don't do all the "things you need to do to be a rEaL cAnAdIaN", but most people by and large don't give a damn at all about any of this

It's not a phallus waving contest, but you'd be surprised! Many people are quite passionate about it.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:33 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Superstore employees are unionized. UFCW.

a quick google tells me that that doesn't seem to have helped the poor bastards wages much

Like I wrote, UFCW. One of the worst unions out there. But they aren't pulling minimum wage.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:39 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
threatening injury over the treatment of a graphical design is beyond the pale for me

No one did any such thing.

All we are trying to get across is that if you fly the flag, do it respectfully. If you can't, then stop flying it.

the cops aren't a force of softness, the whole point of calling them is to force something, and force comes at the risk of injury; far more likely to be injured in the course of an incident with a cop than otherwise. that authority backed by threat of wanton assault is why they get called and how they get compliance. it is a threat, it's certainly not a kind gesture.

floyd died because of an allegedly fake $20. normally you don't think someone will die over such a thing, or even be hurt, but here we are. all it takes is siccing one madman on some nationalist power trip to snuff out some east indian who isn't up to date on how much the local karens are gunning for him for insufficient canadiana

i'm being bombastic here but seriously, the 17 year old kid who called on floyd didn't intend to threaten injury. but it certainly happened

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:49 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
No, I don't do those either. I mean you don't seem to have the same reverence for the state of Canada as many Canadians. You don't take the same pride in it's symbols or history. Nothing wrong with it, just that is where I see your not understanding how a flag worn around the crotch and dragged in the mud could be considered offensive to some. And just as offensive if it were hung tattered and faded on a flag pole.

i think i do enough by at least knowing a lot of our history, mainly because of my once ridiculous nationalism. i may not be "proud of it", but i still learn it and use it. that's more than most canadians can say, guaranteed

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:28 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

i think i do enough by at least knowing a lot of our history, mainly because of my once ridiculous nationalism. i may not be "proud of it", but i still learn it and use it. that's more than most canadians can say, guaranteed

Yes, your previous username and ideals you had is why it surprised me earlier in this thread that you didn't seem upset at all by the flag issue.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:44 pm

i changed a bit after that 2008 crash, after the 2010 olympics and the crushed protests i abandoned it altogether

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:35 pm

i changed a bit after that 2008 crash, after the 2010 olympics and the crushed protests i abandoned it altogether

I frankly miss Mr. Canada. [flag] [flag] [flag]

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:14 pm

Me 2.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:04 pm

that makes it just you guys and the people who made fun of me in high school :lol:

the whole costume was lost in a storage unit that flooded a few years ago

having done that for like five years, i don't miss a single second of it
as the kids today say: i posted cringe :oops:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:07 pm

Loved your Ace Ventura get-up though. 8)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:43 pm

i just remembered the last time i wore that canada stuff, for halloween at school in grade 12 (2009) drenched in fake blood, flags upside down, etc, "dead", since those poor bastards saw a lot of that shit it was some kind of weird finale to my incredible cringe. the flood didn't destroy that costume, i did. you'd of had a god damn heart attack doc. no one complained tho, but i was obviously out of my mind so i don't think people questioned me much by that point, just resigned to letting me be really fucking weird, just fed me booze at the parties and watched me go

fuck you all for making me remember any of this, i'm so glad to not have talked to anyone with a living memory of this in almost a decade. people used to tell me they saw a canadian flag and thought of me. i want medicine hat to be wiped from the face of the earth :lol:

alright that was a fun trip down memory lane haha let's all just forget that again for another decade or forever thanks :)

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:42 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

It seems like you are trying every possible scenario until you find one that pisses us off. I'll save you time. It won't.

We love our country, but love for our country and symbols of that country are not unconditional. We know it has flaws and is tattered in places. Exposing those flaws won't change anything.

We know the legacies of Africville and Residential Schools/Day schools. We know about the lies told to the Innu, and the murder of thousands of their dogs. We know about the way First Nations continue to be oppressed by the Indian Act. And we are working on being better.

If people anywhere want to take a knee to protest the injustices we know have occurred and are still ongoing, that's fine with us. We accept Canada with all its flaws as we find it, because it is good to us despite those flaws.

plus five for showing some emotion for a change!!! I was starting to think that I had nominated a robot for moderator. Its ok to bring some heat every now and then. You are also a poster. You see I never asked you this time around where you stood on the whole kneeling thing because I already knew. You had made it clear a few years back when that whole kneeing thing was going on in posts that you had directed at me personally. The posting record is there. I am to lazy to look them up. But why should I have to? You know where you stand. I know where you stand. You have stated it before, and I respect your opinion. I have never tried to change your opinion. Several other people have stated in this current thread that they do not care. I believe them as well. They were well spoken the last time around as well. Beaver and PD have never been shy about speaking their mind. I may disagree with them, but I have always respected their opinions. I do not think that I have ever given them a negative rep point, or reported them to a moderator about anything that they have said to me. You are a mod. You can verify that. I give you permission to make it public in this thread. The whole time that I have been on here, I think that I have reported maybe three people to a mod. None of what they said was directed at me. It was always directed at a nice person that did not deserve to be abused. I lived in Boston for a long time. I am not that nice. I used to get flipped off 100 times a day just going and returning from work. I have thick skin. I can take some abuse. I do not like to see really nice people ambushed by assholes for no reason. That bothers me. Holocaust deniers bother me. People claiming that the Jews are running the entire world bother me. Those are the people that I report to mods. Never anything directed at me. Never.

I asked boots because he is a veteran. He has had to endure long periods of separation from his family like all veterans do. He did not give a black and white definitive answer like the others. He made a qualifYing statement by adding the "visible minority" statement. I would think that someone involved in a scientific field (such as yourself) would appreciate the difference. You spend countless hours on here arguing with climate change deniers when they try to tweak something by adding a simple qualifying statement. I could state blah blah blah about climate, and make it true by putting the statement in a narrowly defined timetable. You deal with it all the time. I never get involved in those discussions. I live in the Mojave desert. I believe in climate change. I see it every day.

Lately I am catching heat that I am trying to piss people off. That heat is pissing me off. A few years ago this site was the absolute best site to debate on the net, by far. We had historians, professors, policemen, scientists, soldiers, sailors,.......you name it. We had it. A lot of those people are gone. I did not realize how many of the awesome people that made this place what it once was were gone until Khar showed up the other day. There was a guy who was the exact opposite of everything that I am. Yet, we got along like gentlemen! No one put more time or research into a post than Khar. He offered opinions, and he provided facts to back them up. He is in the top one percent of all posters on the planet. He was on THIS site. THIS site was much better for it. Back then, everyone could give and take. We all had thick skin. There was no one on here back then that I would not personally buy a beer for if we all got together. What do have have now? A bunch of candy asses looking for a safe space to spew out their bullshit, and never be challenged. That about sums up this place anymore. People that their entire existence on this planet is bitching about Trump. If you call them on it, they put you on ignore. People that cannot handle an American asking them a serious question about anything without calling them a fascist/racist and running away for their safe space. Not everybody mind you. Some can take it as well as dish it. Beave and Boots have always carried their own whether we agree or not. There is you and others, and you know who you are. Lately this site is turning into a safe space for people who can dish it out, but cannot take it. But hey thats the way the world is going, so why shouldn't this site reflect that?

In this thread you state that you hope that people do not mind if you speak up for them. Well I DO mind! You do not speak for Canada anymore than I speak for the U.S. You have no consensus, no mandate. I am going to go out on a limb and state that there are MANY Canadians who would have a problem with some high paid millionaire playing a game taking a knee at the playing of O Canada. I am sure that there are several on this forum. Many who served in the military, many who had family members die in combat. They might not want to voice an opinion in this thread now that it is heating up to this point. Its becoming international. Maybe some overpaid spoiled asshole putting a puck in a goal disrespecting their flag really pisses them off, but because an American is bringing it up they feel like they have to toe the company line and stay silent.

I lived in Canada for several years. My daughter has Canadian citizenship. I have many friends and relatives in Canada. Many of them have folded up flags on the mantelpiece for family members that died in wars fighting for Canada. My relatives in Canada lost more family members to war than my American family did. So please do not attempt to speak for them. I have listened to enough of their bitching around the dinner table at holidays to know where they stand. They are old school. They are not cool with people dissing their flag. Not one bit.

Respectfully, rickc.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:10 am

the mentioned spreadsheet linking to over 400 incidents of police brutality in the united states in the last couple weeks, including a shit ton of video

spreadsheet

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:31 am

rickc rickc:
In this thread you state that you hope that people do not mind if you speak up for them. Well I DO mind! You do not speak for Canada anymore than I speak for the U.S. You have no consensus, no mandate. I am going to go out on a limb and state that there are MANY Canadians who would have a problem with some high paid millionaire playing a game taking a knee at the playing of O Canada. I am sure that there are several on this forum. Many who served in the military, many who had family members die in combat. They might not want to voice an opinion in this thread now that it is heating up to this point. Its becoming international. Maybe some overpaid spoiled asshole putting a puck in a goal disrespecting their flag really pisses them off, but because an American is bringing it up they feel like they have to toe the company line and stay silent.

I lived in Canada for several years. My daughter has Canadian citizenship. I have many friends and relatives in Canada. Many of them have folded up flags on the mantelpiece for family members that died in wars fighting for Canada. My relatives in Canada lost more family members to war than my American family did. So please do not attempt to speak for them. I have listened to enough of their bitching around the dinner table at holidays to know where they stand. They are old school. They are not cool with people dissing their flag. Not one bit.

Respectfully, rickc.

I don't disagree with most of your post, but . . . your objection is noted, but I also note it seems to be the lone objection.

I would also like to point out other side conversations were people don't feel that kneeling during O Canada is in any way disrespectful. Walking, talking, cheering, whistling during O Canada is disrespectful. Flag themed underwear is disrespectful. Standing silently, singing or taking a knee is not disrespectful.

And while I don't delve into my personal life around here, I would like to show through the attachment that I do have a little experience with flag etiquette and with people who respect that flag, so I am not without some opinion on the matter. Your experience may vary, and I am not discounting it, but my involvement and talking with people about such matters is where my opinion comes from.

0:
For Rickc.jpg
For Rickc.jpg [ 1.25 MiB | Viewed 61 times ]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 794 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 39  40  41  42  43  44  45 ... 53  Next