canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:10 pm

Title: Watch Nunavut MP's powerful goodbye message highlighting racism in Canada | CBC News
Category: Political
Posted By: Scape
Date: 2021-06-16 12:09:07
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:10 pm

I take exception to these people. Canada is flawed, absolutely. Were many of our forefathers racist? 100%. Is Canada a "racist failure". The fact that many Canadians were outraged when they heard about the children's graves in Kamloops and when that coward ran that family over in London, proves that despite our origins being at times racist, our future need not continue down that road.

These people may have thought they did not "belong in those halls", they are needed now, more than ever in the halls of power. Not running ensures the problem persists. Things look bleak now, but as with all things, it will get easier to tackle with time.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:52 pm

These people are still Canadians. We don't need barriers we need common ground. There are going to be bumps on the road and sadly her being carded by security is one of them as they are not accustomed to the wider variety of people out there but we need to be a bigger tent for all.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:51 pm

Sounds like mental problems:

https://vancouversun.com/news/national/ ... 5963427366

$1:
Last fall, Qaqqaq took a leave of absence for several months, later explaining she had been suffering from “extreme burnout, depression and anxiety.” She took another two-week leave in April, citing continuing “personal health problems.”

The second leave came on the heels of a Twitter spat with Labrador Liberal MP Yvonne Jones. Qaqqaq charged that Jones “is not an Inuk” and challenged her to “validate her Inuk-ness.”

She eventually apologized to Jones.

Best not to take things at face value, especially when dealing with someone who basically calls other Native MP's "apples" if they piss her off by disagreeing.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:03 am

Thanos Thanos:
Best not to take things at face value, especially when dealing with someone who basically calls other Native MP's "apples" if they piss her off by disagreeing.

Yes, it's her fault for being so sensitive. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:21 am

I don't call it being sensitive, it's playing the victim card and running from a challenge. If you don't belong there why did you run? Oh, that's right! to ensure your constituents had a voice; to bring change to Ottawa. But that seems too hard now, and it's fashionable to bash Canada these days. All they are doing is driving the wedge deeper between everyone.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:39 am

llama66 llama66:
All they are doing is driving the wedge deeper between everyone.

I am not going to judge her, and tell her what her experience should have been, or how she should have felt. I am not her, and I have not had her experiences. But I have lived in the North, and have seen the differences in being a white male and a Innu living in Canada. Her tattoos show that she is a pretty tough woman. The three lines on her left cheek near her ear means she hunts Musk Ox. (IIRC)

For all we know, it was Parliament that was driving that wedge.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:26 am

This is one of those times where we shall disagree.

That's great she's a tough woman, to me tough means rolling up ones sleeves and getting shit done, while enduring a shitstorm doing it, and not breaking.

Not crying foul because she got IDed by Security. That's kinda their Job.

And Before you or anyone else tries to say I don't know hardship. I grew up in the system. I was the survivor of a crime so horrific the Criminal Injuries Compensation Board awarded me $21,000 (max is $25,000). So I like to think I do know a thing or two about hardship. But I lack the tattoos that say I'm tough, I have to rely on my scars instead.

Her swinging at Parliament, publicly... suggests the problem is not with Parliament. At least in this case.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:29 am

We can disagree. And I would never discount anyone's experiences.

To me, I don't think the parliamentarians I routinely am disappointed in could suddenly became the good guys. Like her, I'm sure many of them go to Ottawa with the intention of being the change that makes the system better, but they get ground down and fall in line when they realize the system is too entrenched for them to change.

Good on her for escaping with her soul.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:58 am

There's 400 MPs plus hundreds of other of admin/security/maintenance/media personnel running around Parliament Hill on any given day. The average person is capable of remembering the faces of maybe a third of the total of those who are allowed there.

A backbencher being asked to carry ID is not just too much to ask of the darlings, but is now actively racist if security asks them to carry it or to produce it when requested? In the most critical government building in this country, one where two people died in a terrorist attack on the place ten years ago? Yeah, we've crossed the Rubicon into total snowflaky-ness if that's the case.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:11 am

If you watch the video, she stated they almost put hands on her. That crosses the line from routine security, to active threat removal.

And I imagine a 2 minute video clip doesn't encompass all her experiences.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:18 am

And a self-serving video clip also wouldn't include at all anything that might have been done to provoke security into such a response.

Yes, the security in a place dominated by the Canadian left-wing, Liberals/Dippers/Bloc/Greens alike, and typically crawling with left-leaning media desperate to break any scoop is full of Derek Chauvin types getting away with absolutely anything they want. And they're running a good ol' boys network in there that intimidates every single politician in the building. Right. :roll:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:23 am

Thanos Thanos:
And a self-serving video clip also wouldn't include at all anything that might have been done to provoke security into such a response.

Given how many Innu are treated by the government, is it so hard to believe?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:28 am

On Parliament Hill, for the reasons I already listed? Yes, it's hard to believe. Security there won't be like policing out in the boondocks sometimes is.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:33 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
If you watch the video, she stated they almost put hands on her. That crosses the line from routine security, to active threat removal.

And I imagine a 2 minute video clip doesn't encompass all her experiences.

But it doesn't, if she refused or was unable to produce ID she'd be physically removed. She would be considered an active threat at that point. It's the same in any institutional building. This is Security 101.

Remember, it wasn't that long ago there was a fire fight in those halls and people died.