Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:10 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
Sunnyways Sunnyways:
bootlegga bootlegga:
I'd have ZERO problem with boycotting the 2022 Olympics, and I think a lot of Canadians (although I'm not sure it's a majority) would agree.

One boycott will justify others. If you want one, you have to accept all the other boycotts that people want to pursue, at which point we’ll have to give up the Olympics altogether.

The difference is that China is dangerous for our citizens, Global Affairs website even says so:

$1:
China - Exercise a high degree of caution

Exercise a high degree of caution in China due to the risk of arbitrary enforcement of local laws.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/china

It sounds to me like the prudent thing to do would be to warn Canadian athletes not ot go to China. Who knows when the next kidnapping of Canadian citizens by the Chinese government will take place?

Unlikely during the Olympics. There’s the world of a difference between warning them and banning them from going.

This reminds me of the US boycott of 1980 which was followed by the boycott of 1984 and the many boycotts since, e.g. against Israel etc. The athletes are the principal people affected.

I’d say banning Huawei and getting our military spending above 2% of GDP would impress the PRC a whole lot more.

Last edited by Sunnyways on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:27 pm

Why can't we do both?

There is a reason why we have don't feed the bears sign in parks. Why pander the CCP? They are a criminal cabal and we are the reason they are in the position to begin with. Want to get out of that hole? STOP DIGGING!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:29 am

Scape Scape:
Why can't we do both?

R=UP

Scape Scape:
There is a reason why we have don't feed the bears sign in parks. Why pander the CCP? They are a criminal cabal and we are the reason they are in the position to begin with. Want to get out of that hole? STOP DIGGING!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:28 am

Something tells me I’m not surrounded by Olympics fans.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:29 am

Meh. Less fans of Bullies than we are of a for profit corrupt sports company.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:47 am

Sunnyways Sunnyways:

I love watching the Olympics (check my posting history if you don't believe me), and I will miss them dearly, but the overall safety of Canadians comes before Olympic glory IMHO. I'm very excited that NHL players are going back to the Olympics this year (as well as out speed skating team), but sometimes doing the right thing means sacrificing something.

A boycott by a major Winter Olympics country like Canada would be a huge propaganda disaster for China. Look up the concept of 'Face' in Chinese culture if you don't believe me.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:53 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
Sunnyways Sunnyways:

I love watching the Olympics (check my posting history if you don't believe me), and I will miss them dearly, but the overall safety of Canadians comes before Olympic glory IMHO. I'm very excited that NHL players are going back to the Olympics this year (as well as out speed skating team), but sometimes doing the right thing means sacrificing something.

A boycott by a major Winter Olympics country like Canada would be a huge propaganda disaster for China. Look up the concept of 'Face' in Chinese culture if you don't believe me.

I've always enjoyed watching the Olympic games as well, though mostly just the winter games. It's sad that there have been so many negatives issues over the years as the basic concept of the Games is a good one as far as bringing the world together for something positive.

I would be in support of boycotting this one though.