canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:45 am

Title: Ensuring Quebec doesn't lose a seat in riding redistribution a 'test' for Trudeau, Legault says
Category: Political
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2021-10-23 07:41:51
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:45 am

Hey, Legault, perhaps if you didn't put out racist bills that force people to leave the province in order to work , you wouldn't be losing a seat.

And what makes you think that a Quebec voter is more important that a voter in the ROC? (and yes, looking at you too PEI)

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:18 am

Quebec can go and get bent.

-J.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:19 am

What tiny PEI do to you Dr. C?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:22 am

rickc rickc:
What tiny PEI do to you Dr. C?

PEI has 2 seats, with a population of ~160k. So 80k people per seat. Most provinces have 121k people per seat. PEI should only have 1 seat, but then again the territories each have 1 seat with only 40k population.

And Quebec will have 118k people per seat with 78 seats. They should lose a seat to be fairer with everyone else.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:24 am

Quebec should lose a seat just for electing all those Bloc MPs. I hate how some Quebecers bitch and moan so much about not getting enough respect from the rest of Canada, when we're all turned off because of said bitching and moaning.

If Quebec as a whole could just sit down, shut up, and try and be a better province every so often, there would be less problems in this country.

That goes for the west as well, to a lesser extent.

-J.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:46 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Quebec should lose a seat just for electing all those Bloc MPs. I hate how some Quebecers bitch and moan so much about not getting enough respect from the rest of Canada, when we're all turned off because of said bitching and moaning.

If Quebec as a whole could just sit down, shut up, and try and be a better province every so often, there would be less problems in this country.

That goes for the west as well, to a lesser extent.

-J.

That arrogant condescending attitude towards the west is exactly why the west has so much disdain for Ontario. "Shut up, and try to be a better province"........seriously? So the good people of the west get to bust their asses working the land, and they are just supposed to hand over their money to Ontario and shut up? They get no say in how their tax dollars which are keeping the country running are spent? Some enlightened yahoos in Ontario get to call all the shots and set the requirements of what it means to "be a better province"?

With attitudes like that its a wonder that they haven't left yet.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:40 pm

There is room for improvement in every province, Ontario especially. Thing is, most of the complaining comes from either out west, or Quebec. And by out west, I mean Alberta predominantly. The fact that you lump everyone in Ontario into the same basket is completely unacceptable.

I normally don't have a problem with the west until the 'blame it all on the people of Ontario' crap gets spewed. Not everyone in Ontario votes Liberal. Not everyone in Ontario are against pipelines and other things that can benefit the whole country. Not everyone in Ontario are out to get the west, and simply want peaceful coexistence.

That being said, when Albertans blame Ontario election after election as a blanket statement, it pisses off a lot of Ontarians who start seeing that part of the country in a different light and become apathetic to whatever your problems are out there. Same goes with Quebec when the blame/criticize the rest of Canada and paint themselves as the victim time and again.

Look at that new party that formed out west, the so-called 'Maverick' party. Friends and coworkers of mine that never talk about the west were both howling with laughter at said new party and it's formation, but also were frustrated and concerned with what it may or may not accomplish, especially during an election in which Trudeau should have been thrown out on his ass.

New parties aren't the answer, separatism is not the answer. Unity is the answer. Unity is what the elites and PM idiot despise/fear the most. If the rest of us are all to busy fighting each other, we won't be fighting them.

Think about it.

-J.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:28 pm

rickc rickc:

With attitudes like that its a wonder that they haven't left yet.

I sometimes wonder the same and with the ridiculous attitudes people in this country have that every province and territory doesn't become their own "country". :roll:

I especially cannot stand the generalizations of the "West", the "East", "THEM!!!". Sometimes it's hard to know if it's because of childish jealousy, actual disdain or ignorance.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:12 pm

There's a lot to unpack in this thread, so I'll start with the easy one:

-Prince Edward Island will always have at least four seats in Parliament. This is because of a Constitutional guarantee that no province ever has fewer seats than it did Senators at the time it joined Confederation. As PEI did and still does have four Senators, that will always be its minimum barring another Constitutional amendment that removes this guarantee (and is likely impossible).

The territories might get hosed on the deal, but then if it were up to me they'd be provinces on the same level as the ten we already have.

-I've been wearing my Devil's Advocate For Alberta and Devil's Advocate For The Natives hats recently, so I might as well dust off my Devil's Advocate For Quebec hat. I actually don't have a problem with Quebec losing a seat to redistribution, but I do want to touch a bit on its language laws. For one thing, I've seen more of a fight against the restrictions on religious attire bill among Quebecois than is shown in most of the Anglo media. And criticism of the bills from the ROC only gets most Quebecois' backs up...and the bills' actual opponents in Quebec cringe because they have to deal with the fallout.

The thing about Quebec's language laws and its claims of distinctiveness has always been based on its concerns about retaining its Francophone identity and culture. It's more of a challenge being the only French-majority place on a mostly English and Spanish continent...and those same concerns about identity show up quite a bit in Anglophone Canada too with concerns over immigration and multiculturalism. Just look at the debates over the use of Chinese in B.C., which we've even discussed ourselves on these forums.

-Patriot's anger over Ontario being scapegoated by Albertans reminds me of Thanos's anger over Albertans being condemned by other Canadians. The claims and frustrations of one part of the country might seem like selfish whining to another, but not to the people who are making them. The problem with lumping everyone from Ontario into the same basket that Patriot mentioned is kind of the same thing that happens with lumping everybody from Alberta, everyone from Quebec or all of the Natives into the same baskets. Patriot's obviously right that unity is the answer-that's why I've been trying to understand a lot of the different points of view, why people hold them, and where the common ground between them is.

If you wonder why I'm always playing Devil's Advocate for Quebec, the Natives or whoever else, there's the answer.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:29 am

JaredMilne JaredMilne:
-Patriot's anger over Ontario being scapegoated by Albertans reminds me of Thanos's anger over Albertans being condemned by other Canadians. The claims and frustrations of one part of the country might seem like selfish whining to another, but not to the people who are making them. The problem with lumping everyone from Ontario into the same basket that Patriot mentioned is kind of the same thing that happens with lumping everybody from Alberta, everyone from Quebec or all of the Natives into the same baskets. Patriot's obviously right that unity is the answer-that's why I've been trying to understand a lot of the different points of view, why people hold them, and where the common ground between them is.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of common ground right now, and it doesn't help that we have the most divisive PM in office either (who could care less at the sorry state of the country he supposedly runs), as well as fringe parties like the PPC and Maverick that need to scream about stupid nonsense.

There's a lot of "Me, me, me!" in Canada right now, and not enough "We". This goes for everyone, from the east coast, to the west, Quebec, and the first nations. Until every Canadian learns to put their freaking bitching aside and find some unity, we're going nowhere fast.

Canada just isn't Canada right now, and that makes me sad.

-J.