Title: Hertz to purchase 100,000 Tesla Model 3s for its rental fleet
Category: Business
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2021-10-25 06:42:39
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:01 am

Consider; regular ICE companies did not get this contract, and these cars will be on the used market in 3 years. :)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:02 am

Wait, I just realized this would equal 100 KiloHertz.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:13 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Consider; regular ICE companies did not get this contract, and these cars will be on the used market in 3 years. :)

It's a start, but the big car rental companies have hundreds of thousands of rental vehicles in their inventory.

I think the best news in this story is that Hertz will install thousands of fast chargers around the US and Europe (and hopefully Canada too), which should reduce range anxiety for some people.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:22 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

It's a start, but the big car rental companies have hundreds of thousands of rental vehicles in their inventory.

Right now, they are having trouble - like everybody else - buying new vehicles to put into inventory. I've seen car dealers with almost nothing on their lot. If they can have largely EV fleets by 2022, that's going to go along way to normalization of EV ownership.

If more of them start converting their fleets to EVs, then those will start flooding the used market and driving prices down for everyone. I can't wait for the first gas station to be converted to Electric. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:50 am

I think a great business opportunity would be to build rest stops with a dozen or more EV chargers, good restaurants (better than fast food), gift shops, and other stores to attract EV owners to stop and recharge on long trips. But we probably have to wait until EV ownership hits double digit percentages for a business like that to make financial sense.

Now, the best you'll find in Alberta is maybe a Petro Canada station with one charger and a Tim Horton's or A&W in it (Ontario has great rest stops - On Route - along the 401.

I'm surprised someone hasn't built something better in Red Deer on Gasoline Alley, but they'd probably be considered a traitor in this oil-addicted province.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:57 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I think the best news in this story is that Hertz will install thousands of fast chargers around the US and Europe (and hopefully Canada too), which should reduce range anxiety for some people.

Here in BC, the government is installing them as well. I recently took a drive up to Williams Lake last week for a visit and there were fast chargers at rest stops all the way up the so there was no way you could run out of charge. It was good to see.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:59 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
I think a great business opportunity would be to build rest stops with a dozen or more EV chargers, good restaurants (better than fast food), gift shops, and other stores to attract EV owners to stop and recharge on long trips. But we probably have to wait until EV ownership hits double digit percentages for a business like that to make financial sense.

Now, the best you'll find in Alberta is maybe a Petro Canada station with one charger and a Tim Horton's or A&W in it (Ontario has great rest stops - On Route - along the 401.

I'm surprised someone hasn't built something better in Red Deer on Gasoline Alley, but they'd probably be considered a traitor in this oil-addicted province.

I wonder if the managers and stockholders at Timmie's can figure this one out? I mean they'll spend 15 minutes for a coffee in the drive thru line-up, why give them to go inside and maybe buy food too while they get a quick charge?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:02 am

$1:
Here in BC, the government is installing them as well. I recently took a drive up to Williams Lake last week for a visit and there were fast chargers at rest stops all the way up the so there was no way you could run out of charge. It was good to see.

Just like how when I had a propane powered 1980 Bronco I knew every place along the highway that sold auto-propane between Prince George and Vancouver and Campbell River.
THey're building chargers along Hwy16 out to Prince Rupert right now.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:06 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:

Yeah, up in Aryan Alley if anyone did this they'd probably get burned down on opening night and have a flaming cross left behind by whoever did it. That's how little faith I have left in too many of our rural Alberta brethren these days after the way they've been behaving over the last year with COVID. :|

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:40 pm

Strange deal, given current supply chain issues and demand. You'd think they'd keep their dealers up and running rather than corporate deals. Every car Hertz gets is one a dealer doesn't. Not good for business if your dealers have no inventory or go under.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:48 pm

Tesla doesn't have dealerships (unless that's changed recently).

They sell directly to the consumer. So no franchises to go under.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:53 pm

Tricks Tricks:

Ah, that makes sense then, thx

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Tricks Tricks:

Ah, that makes sense then, thx

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/findus/list/stores/canada

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:59 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Wait, I just realized this would equal 100 KiloHertz.

Sorry I couldn't help myself :oops: