Posted By: Strutz
Date: 2022-08-13 11:54:44
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:10 pm

Considering the services that would be affected I doubt there will be complete strike action taken.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:22 pm

I'm designated as essential service so I am good but we haven't had strike action in over 10 years. Monday will be fun.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:01 pm

Does anybody know if their salaries are automatically indexed to cost of living (inflation)?

I was spoiled back in the day because every year, mine was.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:19 pm

Nope, and if it was we wouldn't be striking.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:56 pm

raydan raydan:
Does anybody know if their salaries are automatically indexed to cost of living (inflation)?

I remember those days....... COLA clauses.
Then it was 30 years of 0% - 3%. Now I get lovely CPP raises like $1 month every few years...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:42 pm

herbie herbie:
raydan raydan:

I remember those days....... COLA clauses.
Then it was 30 years of 0% - 3%. Now I get lovely CPP raises like $1 month every few years...

I worked For Desjardins and started there in 1975 so I got some high inflation hikes. I remember getting raises of over 12% for a couple of years.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:15 pm

Right after that along came the austerity clowns in charge. THe COLA was gone, wages dropped 7% the next year. Taxes went up, belt tightening!... gov't started privatizing everything. VanderZalm tried to charge a fee for doctor visits, 18% mortgages, tolls on roads, strikes everywhere. The 1980s were not good times.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:28 am

I started working full time in the late 80's (graduated in '86) so I missed out on COLA, but the concept of getting a pay increase to keep up with inflation sounds great. Any pay increases I received were only based on my performance reviews. However, considering I mostly worked for smallish private companies without big bargaining power I doubt I would have had this luxury anyway.

News articles I have read about this upcoming strike haven't been overly specific about what services will be unavailable or disrupted. I've seen that wildfire fighters and correctional officers are included but I would assume jobs such as these would be deemed essential. I guess we'll wait and see tomorrow as to what will be affected. I'm sure that whatever disruptions there are the public pressure on the government will push them to give in and settle quickly.