canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:46 pm

<strong>Title: </strong> <a href="/link.php?id=28522" target="_blank">Records broken in heat waves in North America, Europe</a> (click to view)

<strong>Category:</strong> <a href="/news/topic/20-environmental" target="_blank">Environmental</a>
<strong>Posted By: </strong> <a href="/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=userinfo&username=Hyack" target="_blank">Hyack</a>
<strong>Date: </strong> 2007-12-26 11:46:42

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:46 pm

OK, so that's one side of the story. Here's the other one.

$1:
Year of Global Cooling

By OnTheWeb: David Deming Thursday, December 20, 2007

Since the mid-19th century, the mean global temperature has increased by 0.7 degrees Celsius. This slight warming is not unusual, and lies well within the range of natural variation. Carbon dioxide continues to build in the atmosphere, but the mean planetary temperature hasn’t increased significantly for nearly nine years. Antarctica is getting colder.

South America this year experienced one of its coldest winters in decades. In Buenos Aires, snow fell for the first time since 1918. In Peru, 200 people died from the cold and thousands more became infected with respiratory diseases. Crops failed, livestock perished, and the Peruvian government declared a state of emergency.

Unexpected bitter cold swept the entire Southern Hemisphere in 2007. Johannesburg, South Africa, had the first significant snowfall in 26 years. Australia experienced the coldest June ever. In northeastern Australia, the city of Townsville underwent the longest period of continuously cold weather since 1941. In New Zealand, the weather turned so cold that vineyards were endangered.

Last January, $1.42 billion worth of California produce was lost to a devastating five-day freeze. In April, a killing freeze destroyed 95 percent of South Carolina’s peach crop, and 90 percent of North Carolina’s apple harvest. At Charlotte, N.C., a record low of 21F on April 8 was the coldest ever recorded for April, breaking a record set in 1923. On June 8, Denver recorded a new low of 31F. Denver’s temperature records extend back to 1872.

On Dec. 7, St. Cloud, Minn., set a new record low of minus 15F. On the same date, record low temperatures were also recorded in Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Extreme cold weather is occurring worldwide. On Dec. 4, in Seoul, Korea, the temperature was a record minus 5C. Nov. 24, in Meacham, Ore., the minimum temperature was 12 degrees Fahrenheit colder than the previous record low set in 1952. The Canadian government warns that this winter is likely to be the coldest in 15 years.

Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri are just emerging from a destructive ice storm that left at least 36 people dead and a million without electric power. People worldwide are being reminded of what used to be common sense: Cold temperatures are inimical to human welfare and warm weather is beneficial. Fossil fuels don’t seem so awful when you’re in the cold and dark.

In 2005, a Canadian Greenpeace representative explained “global warming can mean colder, it can mean drier, it can mean wetter.” In other words, all weather variations are evidence for global warming. I can’t make this stuff up.

David Deming is a geophysicist, an adjunct scholar with the National Center for Policy Analysis, and associate professor of Arts and Sciences at the University of Oklahoma.

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/1042

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:14 pm

That thread leading article was not one side.....it was largely just old lies repeated.

Record temps are recorded in the US due to the new reporting stations monitoring the temperature above parking lots and air conditioners. Greenland has been established as growing not shrinking so that sets the tone on the whole article----propaganda.

Gore getting a Nobel is not evidence of climate change but rather an entrenched leftist influence on the selection committee. It's all politics.

An overwhelming majority of the earth's population rejected KYOTO at Bali.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:13 am

N_Fiddledog N_Fiddledog:
OK, so that's one side of the story. Here's the other one.

$1:
Year of Global Cooling

By OnTheWeb: David Deming Thursday, December 20, 2007

Since the mid-19th century, the mean global temperature has increased by 0.7 degrees Celsius. This slight warming is not unusual, and lies well within the range of natural variation. Carbon dioxide continues to build in the atmosphere, but the mean planetary temperature hasn’t increased significantly for nearly nine years. Antarctica is getting colder.

South America this year experienced one of its coldest winters in decades. In Buenos Aires, snow fell for the first time since 1918. In Peru, 200 people died from the cold and thousands more became infected with respiratory diseases. Crops failed, livestock perished, and the Peruvian government declared a state of emergency.

Unexpected bitter cold swept the entire Southern Hemisphere in 2007. Johannesburg, South Africa, had the first significant snowfall in 26 years. Australia experienced the coldest June ever. In northeastern Australia, the city of Townsville underwent the longest period of continuously cold weather since 1941. In New Zealand, the weather turned so cold that vineyards were endangered.

Last January, $1.42 billion worth of California produce was lost to a devastating five-day freeze. In April, a killing freeze destroyed 95 percent of South Carolina’s peach crop, and 90 percent of North Carolina’s apple harvest. At Charlotte, N.C., a record low of 21F on April 8 was the coldest ever recorded for April, breaking a record set in 1923. On June 8, Denver recorded a new low of 31F. Denver’s temperature records extend back to 1872.

On Dec. 7, St. Cloud, Minn., set a new record low of minus 15F. On the same date, record low temperatures were also recorded in Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Extreme cold weather is occurring worldwide. On Dec. 4, in Seoul, Korea, the temperature was a record minus 5C. Nov. 24, in Meacham, Ore., the minimum temperature was 12 degrees Fahrenheit colder than the previous record low set in 1952. The Canadian government warns that this winter is likely to be the coldest in 15 years.

Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri are just emerging from a destructive ice storm that left at least 36 people dead and a million without electric power. People worldwide are being reminded of what used to be common sense: Cold temperatures are inimical to human welfare and warm weather is beneficial. Fossil fuels don’t seem so awful when you’re in the cold and dark.

In 2005, a Canadian Greenpeace representative explained “global warming can mean colder, it can mean drier, it can mean wetter.” In other words, all weather variations are evidence for global warming. I can’t make this stuff up.

David Deming is a geophysicist, an adjunct scholar with the National Center for Policy Analysis, and associate professor of Arts and Sciences at the University of Oklahoma.

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/1042

Yes, let's fight anecdotes with anecdotes! That will SURELY clear things up and advance the discussion of the topic.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:31 am

Inconvenient Truths?

Observed conditions VS......theory and computer models?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:23 am

hurley_108 hurley_108:

Yes, let's fight anecdotes with anecdotes! That will SURELY clear things up and advance the discussion of the topic.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well we could post scientific studies of course, but let's be honest, you have nothing to post that doesn't have the words computer model in it, and you won't read stuff I post like...

$1:
The latest study to cast doubt on climate fears finds that even a doubling of atmospheric carbon dioxide would not have the previously predicted dire impacts on global temperatures.

Heat Capacity, Time Constant, and Sensitivity of Earth’s Climate System

by Brookhaven National Lab scientist Stephen Schwartz

That's OK, I didn't read it either, :wink: but I did read a a breakdown of the study into clear english. You should try that one. There's also links to critique of the study from your guys.

Speaking of critique...here's something I'd like to discuss. As I hear it there's this study mentioned in the IPCC, I think it's called Jones et al. It makes the claim urban heat effects don't really matter. It bases a good chunk of this on data gathered by this Chinese scientist named Wang.

This guy makes allegations of scientific fraud against Wang. I know what you're thinking. So what? I can answer that. It isn't the allegations in themselves that bothers me. It turns out when he requested the data Jones used for his report Jones refused. His study was publicly funded.

You've perhaps heard a little bit about the scientific quackery of NASA scientist James Hansen. In particular the mistake Steve McIntyre caught him making which led to NASA having to rewrite it's American weather data, and put 1930 as America's warmest year over 1998. Again that isn't what bugs. I think a larger complaint can be made over the fact Hansen, of the publicly funded NASA again refused to release data.

So what I'm wondering is if the alarmist scientists are really the holders of the truth why are they all the time refusing to release the data they're supposedly basing all this unchallengeable science on. Why aren't they shining it openly like a beacon?

Oh, I tell you what, You wanna talk science right? You guys like NASA, I hear. I find the study they did mentioned HERE interesting. It's indicative of a lot of studies I hear about lately which sets about to prove climate model predictions with real world data, but Damn Mother Nature just won't play ball. This one shows how the arctic warming we were experiencing is part of a shift, and it appears to be shifting now in the other direction. But not to worry, they just created another model, and they tell us with this new one things will soon shift back. Again not to worry, if it doesn't I'm sure they can create another climate model to say it will shift again soon after the next deadline comes and goes.

Here's another one. This time from skeptics. It's a report published in the International Journal of Climatology of the Royal Meteorological Society. It's reproduced here - A comparison of tropical temperature trends with model predictions.

Basically it goes like this...

$1:
Climate Warming is Naturally Caused and Shows No Human Influence

By David Douglas, U of Rochester, John Christy, U of Alabama, Fred Singer, U of Virginia

Climate scientists at the University of Rochester, the University of Alabama, and the University of Virginia report that observed patterns of temperature changes ("fingerprints") over the last thirty years are not in accord with what greenhouse models predict and can better be explained by natural factors, such as solar variability. Therefore, climate change is “unstoppable” and cannot be affected or modified by controlling the emission of greenhouse gases, such as CO2, as is proposed in current legislation. These results are in conflict with the conclusions of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and also with some recent research publications based on essentially the same data. However, they are supported by the results of the US-sponsored Climate Change Science Program (CCSP).

http://icecap.us/index.php/go/in-the-ne ... influence/

Oh and wanna know what the critique of this study is? When the alarmist guys first started hearing about this damned refusal of the tropospheric readings to line up according to their computer models with the surface temperature readings they decided the problem was with the data, so they just did a couple of studies of their own, and changed the data. :lol: It's what I call ad hoc hypothesis science. You'll see a lot of that if you check around. It's usually done with computer tricks. I think in this case they changed the way the computer read the satellite data, and stopped tweaking when they got what they wanted, or something like that.

I don't know. Is that enough actual science for you, or do you want some more? I'd ask you for some, because you guys keep telling me you've got it all, but every time I do, you get all, like, angry at me, or something.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 St. Louis Blues
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:12 am

The great global warming hoax... Carbon dioxide is a poison, carbon dioxide is evil... Co2 is a pollutant... The deceit continues....

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:08 am

Can't we put Fiddle up for a medal?

Holy crap, someone did his homework! R=UP

I just have to find out which one :?