Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:31 pm

What's the point of it?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:54 pm

Tricks Tricks:
What's the point of it?

Family? It's human's way of continuing the species.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:07 pm

Mustang1 Mustang1:
But according to the forum's greatest, most enlightened political pundit, Ryan29, all McGuinty does is break promises. So, according to his sound logic, Family Day will be retracted soon. And we all know Ryan's not wrong about politics...

It's a great idea even if it was pure political grandstanding

never said he broke this election promise , but he did break alot of promises he campaigned on during 2003 election . he's broke significanntly less promises so far , partly because he didn't make as many last election and some were easy to keep like this one .

but to note this holiday isn't original by any standards and was first started out west i believe, so he's really just taking ideas from other provinces which were popular and doing them here as supposed "liberal ideas " .

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:13 pm

Well time will tell. Stat holidays raise hell with the bottom line for employers.

The alleged "evil" employers are already penalized (taxed) severely for providing jobs---(payroll taxes) and now these clowns have added another stat. Full days payroll with nothing to show for it.

It is simply buying votes from the lowest common denominator. Maybe that a contributing factor to the joblosses Ontario is experiencing.

And if employment goes up because of new and inovative industry the same politico's claim credit for creating jobs. Same old same old.

My theory is that our societies, number one enemy of the people, the school teachers want a paid day off from their pretend job of actually teaching. McSquinty gives the teachers unions whatever they want.

Last edited by sasquatch2 on Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:15 pm

ryan29 ryan29:
Mustang1 Mustang1:
But according to the forum's greatest, most enlightened political pundit, Ryan29, all McGuinty does is break promises. So, according to his sound logic, Family Day will be retracted soon. And we all know Ryan's not wrong about politics...

never said he broke this election promise , but he did break alot of promises he campaigned on during 2003 election . he's broke significanntly less promises so far , partly because he didn't make as many last election and some were easy to keep like this one .

but to note this holiday isn't original by any standards and was first started out west i believe, so he's really just taking ideas from other provinces which were popular and doing them here as supposed "liberal ideas " .

So, despite your partisan prattle, McGuinty's kept the promise and the best you can muster is that another holiday isn't original? Shuffle on.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:18 pm

kitty kitty:
i am very happy about this holiday... i dont care whose idea this was or what their motives were ... i am just happy!

myself i could care less , not because its called family or liberal governemnt doing it. its fact its taking place on february , and there is like nothing to do here then anyways, like i'm i suppose to book a weekend trip to florida because of this 1 single day off ?
this holiday just isn't practical for ontario's tourism industry either and after year or two no one will care at all .

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:29 pm

Mustang1 Mustang1:
ryan29 ryan29:
Mustang1 Mustang1:

So, despite your partisan prattle, McGuinty's kept the promise and the best you can muster is that another holiday isn't original? Shuffle on.

its just that this "holiday " isn' practical , my local newspaper even mentioned this when it was announced and went into detail how it wouldn't really do any good for local and ontario tourism in general . as holiday is during winter and only ads 1 extra day to weekend .

sure everyone gets excited for long weekends during summer , because they are fun and there is lots to do in ontario close to where they live , but 1 extra day during winter does us what good ?
a few ski towns might see some benfit but other than that i doubt much will be noticed.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:34 pm

ryan29 ryan29:
kitty kitty:
i am very happy about this holiday... i dont care whose idea this was or what their motives were ... i am just happy!

myself i could care less , not because its called family or liberal governemnt doing it. its fact its taking place on february , and there is like nothing to do here then anyways, like i'm i suppose to book a weekend trip to florida because of this 1 single day off ?
this holiday just isn't practical for ontario's tourism industry either and after year or two no one will care at all .

Stay home and sleep in :lol:

I didn't think there was ever anything to do in Ontario summer or winter ROTFL

In Alberta the teachers have their "convention" lapped on the Thursday and Friday in front of it, turned it into a 5 day break for the kids....and themselves since they don't take attendance at the "convention" ROTFL

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:31 pm

ryan29 ryan29:
Mustang1 Mustang1:
ryan29 ryan29:
Mustang1 Mustang1:

its just that this "holiday " isn' practical , my local newspaper even mentioned this when it was announced and went into detail how it wouldn't really do any good for local and ontario tourism in general . as holiday is during winter and only ads 1 extra day to weekend .

sure everyone gets excited for long weekends during summer , because they are fun and there is lots to do in ontario close to where they live , but 1 extra day during winter does us what good ?
a few ski towns might see some benfit but other than that i doubt much will be noticed.

Perhaps if you had a job or a family, then you'd care, but your inability to empathize with other's quality of life and your dogmatic adherence to an ideology you barely understand seems to cloud your thinking.

And whether this holiday is "practical" is immaterial (especially if some hack idiot muses about it in the local paper) because let's be honest, how many of you naysayers aren't going to embrace it on Feb 18? This is partisan crap and it's shallow

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:07 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Tricks Tricks:
What's the point of it?

Family? It's human's way of continuing the species.
:lol: No I mean the day. Why do we need a holiday? What was the purpose of them putting this through?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:11 pm

lily lily:
Tricks Tricks:
What's the point of it?

What's the poi of ANY stat holiday?
Well lets see
New Year's Day
Good Friday,
Victoria Day,
Canada Day,
Labour Day,
Thanksgiving Day,
Christmas Day,
and December 26.
Canada Day

The only one there that isn't celebrating, remembering, or commemorating something is boxing day. And that's probably because no one wants to work the day after Christmas. :lol:

All of historical, or significant reasons to have it, what's the point of "family" day? To celebrate family? Just seems weird, and methinks who ever came up with it didn't have a large enough imagination to come up with something better. :lol: Not saying another holiday isn't nice, but I actually want to know the motives, and why they settled on "family" day.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:38 pm

Labour day... What is to celebrate about that? Having a day off, not go to work, to celebrate you can go the day after? :lol:

(and no, we didn't have one in Holland. We did celebrate Ascension Day though ;-))

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:38 pm

lily lily:
Why celebrate New Year's Day" It's just a day, with no real significance, other than the arbitrary importance we place on it.

Thanksgiving? What's with that one? How many people actually harvest anything worth celebrating?

All our holidays are just days that we've decided to make special for some reason.

And reading what I said.... it's obvious I wish I were in Hawaii. :D

New years day... new year. It is sort of important, but true enough it's not necessary, but frankly no one is going to work cause they are all wasted :lol:

Thanksgiving has Historical reasons.

Holidays all have some sort of tie that make it meaningful. Family day doesn't. It's a political thing. The fact that no one has a reason or knows why were are getting one kinda proves that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say anything bad about the Liberals, but lets see this for what it is. Something to score political points.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:41 pm

Labour day is political, Canada Day is political... So? ;-) It is either political, or religious...

Family day, THE one day of the year to spend with your family... (The PM says so :lol:)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:51 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Labour day is political, Canada Day is political... So? ;-) It is either political, or religious...

Family day, THE one day of the year to spend with your family... (The PM says so :lol:)
Canada day isn't political, that's historical. Labour day is historical. Hell I'd say that christmas is a family day more then it is religious now, why do we need another 2 months later? The only truly religious one I see now is Easter, and it's starting to lose it's religious ties.