canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:06 pm

$1:
I was always graded on grammar in history and political science( in secondary, undergraduate and post-graduate studies). Proper articulation of complex ideas coupled with the aim to persuade a reader of one's argument is highly dependent on superior language skills.

Grammar affects the meaning of sentences; using grammar successfully is paramount if a person hopes to express them self effectively.

Last edited by Knoss on Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:07 pm

But back to the matter at hand.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:10 pm

Knoss Knoss:
$1:
I was always graded on grammar in history and political science( in secondary, undergraduate and post-graduate studies). Proper articulation of complex ideas coupled with the aim to persuade a reader of one's argument is highly dependent on superior language skills.

Grammar effects the meaning of sentences; using grammar succesfully is paramount if a person hopes to express themself effectivly.

Even simpler than that, if you read something that has a glaring grammar or spelling error, you instantly lower your opinion of that person. So not only does proper grammar and spelling convey your ideas more effectively, it also prevents people from thinking you are too stupid to use a spell checker.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:20 pm

xerxes xerxes:
Knoss Knoss:
$1:

Grammar effects the meaning of sentences; using grammar succesfully is paramount if a person hopes to express themself effectivly.

Even simpler than that, if you read something that has a glaring grammar or spelling error, you instantly lower your opinion of that person. So not only does proper grammar and spelling convey your ideas more effectively, it also prevents people from thinking you are too stupid to use a spell checker.

Exactly. I am even too lazy to use a spell check... :? Better do it right in one time, than constantly rewrite...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:35 pm

I remember having my calculator die on me during a math mid term and having to do the last few trig questions the looooooong way.

How is creating an inner city school going to halt drop out rates? In areas/schools that currently have predominantly black student populations, this is already a major problem and has been for years.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:02 am

Are these kinds who take the black curriculum actually going to be coming out of high school with any skills worth mentioning, or are they merely slated to go to university to become more left-wing Marxist "activists"? If this is what passes for life-skill learning in Toronto then all the kids who are sidetracked into this racist nonsense probably won't even be able to get a job at the local 7-11.

More liberal dumb-thought at it's absolute worst.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:20 am

from that Toronto Sun article that 2cdo put up, I don't think we have to worry about too many of them going to university..

I think this will create more problems than it claims to try and solve.

Funny though, with such poor results from the FN school,

this idea should never have gotten out of the block..

Segregating people will not work.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:59 am

martin14 martin14:
from that Toronto Sun article that 2cdo put up, I don't think we have to worry about too many of them going to university..

I think this will create more problems than it claims to try and solve.

Funny though, with such poor results from the FN school,

this idea should never have gotten out of the block..

Segregating people will not work.

It's good to see someone else read the article and realized this is an old idea that never worked the first time. Stupid idea put forward by equally stupid do-gooders who end up causing more harm than good in the long run.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:17 pm

Premier Dalton McGuinty says he's against creating a black-focused alternative school in Toronto and won't support it.

McGuinty says he's disappointed that the Toronto District School Board approved the controversial plan, and that the trustees "leapt before they took a good look."

this is totally a bad idea and came about by pressure by some special interest group on the GTA school board.. point is it has to be approved by the Provincial government and that would be NO!

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:27 pm

kenmore kenmore:
Premier Dalton McGuinty says he's against creating a black-focused alternative school in Toronto and won't support it.

McGuinty says he's disappointed that the Toronto District School Board approved the controversial plan, and that the trustees "leapt before they took a good look."

this is totally a bad idea and came about by pressure by some special interest group on the GTA school board.. point is it has to be approved by the Provincial government and that would be NO!

well dalton also spent the election pointing how seperate schools like faith based ones would destroy the education system and cost millions . it was like all he and his candidates talked about during the entire election .

but now months after the election a black focused school is being proposed and might actually open soon .

so i'm somewhat confused as to how this was allowed to happen ?

does this count as daltons first broken promise of new year ?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:32 pm

ryan29 ryan29:
kenmore kenmore:

well dalton also spent the election pointing how seperate schools like faith based ones would destroy the education system and cost millions . it was like all he and his candidates talked about during the entire election .

but now months after the election a black focused school is being proposed and might actually open soon .

What?!?!? Do you even know how this school proposal was arrived at? This was a TDSB elected decision! This, despite your obvious ignorance and partisan hackery, was part of a democratic process. I don't like the school proposal, but unlike you, i can express it without ideological nonsense gumming up the process.

Oh...and there's no funding coming from the Ministry of Education.

Please, read up on this and save the Ryan "doesn't know squat about anything" garbage for another thread. Thanks

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:33 pm

no actually it doesnt ... McGuinty is not in favour of this at all. he said so many times.. the point being is that the school board has the right to do this... his point about faith based schools is well taken and that is how John Tory got into trouble.. and before we go there... Catholic schools are public schools so he didnt break any election promises.............yet..

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:37 pm

kenmore kenmore:
no actually it doesnt ... McGuinty is not in favour of this at all. he said so many times.. the point being is that the school board has the right to do this... his point about faith based schools is well taken and that is how John Tory got into trouble.. and before we go there... Catholic schools are public schools so he didnt break any election promises.............yet..

Ryand need to READ about this issue first and then maybe, he'd about the Premier's stance. Let's see if he retracts his comments. I doubt it as that would require some semblance of personal accountability

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:38 pm

ryan29 ryan29:
kenmore kenmore:

No, because he has no control over the TO school board.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:39 pm

McGuinty against plan for black-focused public school

By Maria Babbage, THE CANADIAN PRESS

Mandel: TDSB's plan for black school full of aspirations but has few answers

Black-focused schools unlikely to pop up in rest of Canada: expert

Toronto black school approved

What is your opinion?

Black-focused school approved

TORONTO - Ontario's Liberal government won't prevent Canada's largest school board from establishing a controversial new black-focused school - a position critics say flies in the face of the party's much-touted opposition to funding religious schools, which helped propel it to victory in the last election.

Premier Dalton McGuinty frowned Thursday on the Toronto District School Board's plans for the black-focused school, but said it wouldn't be up to the province to take action against the publicly funded board.

"I am disappointed with the board's decision," McGuinty said.

"I don't support it and we won't fund it. I continue to believe that the best way for us to educate our children is to bring them together so they can come together, learn together and grow together."

The McGuinty Liberals cruised to victory in the fall election largely on the controversy surrounding his rival John Tory's unpopular promise to extend public funding to faith-based schools. The issue dominated the campaign and cost the Progressive Conservatives support.

Opposition critics, still licking their wounds from their October defeat, accused the premier of trying to have it both ways.

"He's a hypocrite to say that he can't take any action," said Conservative Elizabeth Witmer. "He could be working with the board and saying, 'OK, you've got a problem."'

Witmer said high dropout rates and underachieving students are problems across the province, not just in Toronto, and creating a black-focused school isn't the answer.

"Before you know it, you're going to have another group at some point in time . . . say, 'You know what? We'd like to set up a school for our students because of this reason."'

Education Minister Kathleen Wynne insisted there's a difference between the province's support for a school board planning to establish a black-focused school and the contentious issue of extending public funds to religious schools.

"This is a student achievement issue and the board is acting on its right to set up an alternative school," said Wynne, who faced off against Tory for her Toronto seat.

"I believe that school boards are important institutions. I believe that they should have a degree of autonomy. So this board is acting within its purview."

McGuinty said Toronto District School Board trustees "leapt before they took a good look" in approving the plan, but that it was up to Toronto residents to decide if they wanted to try to stop the school by appealing to the board.

"What is really troubling for me is what about the 30,000-plus black students at the TDSB who are not going to get into this school or these schools?" he said.

"How does this assist them in a very direct way in improving the quality of their educational opportunities?"

Implementing the adopted recommendations to combat high dropout rates among black students, which includes the proposed black-focused school, is expected to cost the school board about $850,000, which McGuinty insists the province will not provide.

But he wouldn't say whether that means the province won't bail out the cash-strapped school board at the end of the year, as it has in the past.

"The point I'm making today is that we're not going to be providing any additional funding for this particular new policy," McGuinty said.

Board officials, who are projecting a $41-million deficit, have said they will find the money for the school in their $2.3-billion budget.

The school was among four recommendations approved Tuesday following a narrow vote and months of heated debate.

Critics fear the "Afrocentric" school, slated to open by September 2009, will further divide an already fragmented student population and open the door to school segregation on the basis of religion and ethnicity.

The proposed school has been billed as a Canadian first, although an elementary school that teaches the provincial curriculum in the predominantly black community of North Preston, N.S., operates with an Afrocentric philosophy.

The board's director of education, Gerry Connelly, suggested Wednesday that the board would be open to establishing more than one black-focused school if there was sufficient demand.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2008 ... 08-cp.html

so he's against it but won't do anything to stop it , why i'm i not surprised looks like pinocio premier is back, anyone want to guess what election promise he will break next ?