canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:47 am

Reality dictates my lifestyle, "facing the future" or "burying heads in sand" has got nothing to do with it.

We will see what exactly the "long run" brings.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:48 am

Just to go back onto topic about Harper's choice of words here:

Brilliant. Clear and decisive.
No dithering, fence sitting or double speak.

Martin was a terrible orator and Dion is evn worst. None of them could order a coffee without a paragraph of cleches or catch phrases.

Harper has shown he can speak very well, even off the cuff under presure, so this was done on purpose, to put it in plain clear terminology that every Canadian will immediately understand.

Considering Dion was against any carbon tax during the Liberal convention, we obviously need more leaders that hold to a plan and tell it like it is.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:22 am

This carbon tax would suck for those of us who live on a farm.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:24 am

Schleihauf Schleihauf:
Or those of us who live in the North.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:31 am

RUEZ RUEZ:
Schleihauf Schleihauf:

Rural Canadians don't matter, at least as far as most of the hotshots in Ottawa are concerned.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:33 am

Sounds to me that the Liberals only care about people who live in the city.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:36 am

Schleihauf Schleihauf:
Sounds to me that the Liberals only care about people who live in the city.

Been that way for some time. There are simply more votes in urban areas than rural. So when they pander to city dwellers at the expense of rural Canadians they think they are coming out on top.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:39 am

Streaker Streaker:

Why on earth are you asking me these questions? And what do they have to do with the topic at had?

I think the question here is why aren't you asking these questions? Mr. Dion wants to raise the price on everything and rather than looking at this plan for what it really is and asking "why" you'd rather sit there and moan because Harper is simply calling a spade a spade.

You're obviously in support of this plan so please; by all means tell what is so great about it. Is it the fact that none of the money collected will go into research to lower emissions from industrial polluters? Or is it the fact that the Libs want to create an unsustainable tax regime with this shift of theirs? Perhaps it's the fact we will pay more on everything we touch (a lot more) for a plan with no set goals or targets?

"Oh just use less" you say. Sure ... errr ... wait a minute. What about people on low or fixed income or even average income earners who are having a hard time making ends meet? We all know how wasteful people like that are. All ways turning on lights after it turns dark and driving to work because they’re blue collar workers who make their living on a construction site. Bastards! Why can’t they just make those home frames in their back yard instead of driving every to a job site every day. Christ if they would just cut back on their wasteful eating and working they wouldn’t even be in that position in the first place, right?

You question Harpers ability as a leader because he doesn't support this plan and simply tells Canadians that it will screw them. Heaven forbid he doesn't try to pull the wool over the eyes of the people who will get hit the hardest by this nonsensical plan of Dion's.

This plan is short sighted and misses the mark. But I guess in your world the mark of a good leader is the ability to bullshit people into believing a bad policy is a good one instead of simply making a good policy to start with.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:40 am

saturn_656 saturn_656:
RUEZ RUEZ:
Schleihauf Schleihauf:

Rural Canadians don't matter, at least as far as most of the hotshots in Ottawa are concerned.

That's the problem we're having in BC right now. Outside of Vancouver the carbon tax is not popular, and it will hurt rural people the most. The Liberals don't care.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:48 am

dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:
Streaker Streaker:

Why on earth are you asking me these questions? And what do they have to do with the topic at had?

I think the question here is why aren't you asking these questions? Mr. Dion wants to raise the price on everything and rather than looking at this plan for what it really is and asking "why" you'd rather sit there and moan because Harper is simply calling a spade a spade.

You're obviously in support of this plan so please; by all means tell what is so great about it. Is it the fact that none of the money collected will go into research to lower emissions from industrial polluters? Or is it the fact that the Libs want to create an unsustainable tax regime with this shift of theirs? Perhaps it's the fact we will pay more on everything we touch (a lot more) for a plan with no set goals or targets?

"Oh just use less" you say. Sure ... errr ... wait a minute. What about people on low or fixed income or even average income earners who are having a hard time making ends meet? We all know how wasteful people like that are. All ways turning on lights after it turns dark and driving to work because they’re blue collar workers who make their living on a construction site. Bastards! Why can’t they just make those home frames in their back yard instead of driving every to a job site every day. Christ if they would just cut back on their wasteful eating and working they wouldn’t even be in that position in the first place, right?

You question Harpers ability as a leader because he doesn't support this plan and simply tells Canadians that it will screw them. Heaven forbid he doesn't try to pull the wool over the eyes of the people who will get hit the hardest by this nonsensical plan of Dion's.

This plan is short sighted and misses the mark. But I guess in your world the mark of a good leader is the ability to bullshit people into believing a bad policy is a good one instead of simply making a good policy to start with.

A good policy is one that encourages citizens to act responsibly. The carbon tax will do just that.

If you're asking people who have some sense of frugality to subsidise your lifestyle excesses then you won't be getting what you want from the carbon tax, but that's your tough.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:53 am

Streaker Streaker:
dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:
Streaker Streaker:

A good policy is one that encourages citizens to act responsibly. The carbon tax will do just that.

If you're asking people who have some sense of frugality to subsidise your lifestyle excesses then you won't be getting what you want from the carbon tax, but that's your tough.

People on low to mid income levels know more about being frugal than any government (and from the looks of it more than you'll ever know). Explain to someone who is all ready turning off all their lights, taking public transit, and bag lunching it every day at work that they are being excessive and we'll see the reaction you get.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:53 am

I wouldn't waste your time trying to convince Streaker.

To him taxing the shit out of the already overtaxed Canadian middle class is a wonderful thing and we should all just pay up and shut up.

I'm betting he lives in a large Canadian city with at least decent public transit, doesn't own a car, bikes/walks/takes a bus to work (if he works). Lives in a one bedroom cement and steel box five or six floors up.

He doesn't give a crap what effect this has on all the Canadians who don't live like him.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:58 am

saturn_656 saturn_656:
I'm betting he lives in a large Canadian city with at least decent public transit, doesn't own a car, bikes/walks/takes a bus to work (if he works). Lives in a one bedroom cement and steel box five or six floors up.

He doesn't give a crap what effect this has on all the Canadians who don't live like him.

It's usually those who have to sacrifice the least that are the biggest proponents of this.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:15 pm

Such language coming from a Prime Minister... must be the organized crime his ministers are connected to eh? my my.. Mr bible thumper using such terms.. look what happens when you get cornered..

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:50 pm

Streaker Streaker:
The tax on carbon would be combined with a cut in income tax.

it's not a tax yet. and they are already admitting of ways to not spend it in a manner that it's name implies.