Category: Provincial Politics
Posted By: hurley_108
Date: 2008-06-25 07:04:24
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:36 am

We should be saving most of this, not spending it. Sadly, just like the kids of today, the Boomers are all about instant gratification.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:37 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
We should be saving most of this, not spending it. Sadly, just like the kids of today, the Boomers are all about instant gratification.

We'd be more than happy to save it if we didn't have to give it all away in transfer payments.

I will admit though Alberta's Tories are on a run away when it come to spending.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:41 am

Spend it damn it, its raining :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:42 am

dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:
We'd be more than happy to save it if we didn't have to give it all away in transfer payments.

ORLY? How much was the last transfer payment cheque that Alberta sent to Ottawa?

$1:
I will admit though Alberta's Tories are on a run away when it come to spending.

And a runaway with artificially low taxes.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:26 am

hurley_108 hurley_108:

ORLY? How much was the last transfer payment cheque that Alberta sent to Ottawa?

Oh please, tell me your not really going to make me look this up. If you honestly believe Alberta doesn't contribute more to equalization than it gets back then I suggest you do some reading on your own.

hurley_108 hurley_108:
[
$1:

And a runaway with artificially low taxes.

I don't think low taxes are the problem, the fact that spending has balloned over the last few years is and the lack of accountability on the provincal government's part is.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:04 pm

Oh please, tell me your not really going to make me look this up. If you honestly believe Alberta doesn't contribute more to equalization than it gets back then I suggest you do some reading on your own.

I was hoping you'd at least try. If you did, you'd quickly find out that there are no such things as transfer payments from the provinces to the federal government. There are only federal taxes paid by people and companies in those provinces, and transfer payments to the provinces from the feds out of that tax revenue.

The idea that Alberta sends more to Ottawa than it gets back comes from the fact that Albertan people and companies pay more in federal taxes than Alberta receives in transfer payments. This I do not argue. I simply point out that the Government of Alberta is not burdened by payments to Ottawa that they don't make.

$1:
I don't think low taxes are the problem, the fact that spending has balloned over the last few years is and the lack of accountability on the provincal government's part is.

Spending has ballooned over the last few years because it was almost nonexistent in the years before, and now we're playing catch-up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:07 pm

Where's all the bitching about Alberta slashing public funding? To listen to the media, you'd have thought all of Alberta's civil service was being shot. Now that their house is in order and lean, the rest of Canada comes with cap in hand, to ask for a handout.
Ontario and Quebec should get their houses in order.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:17 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:

I didn't see Evans mention that one cent of this surplus was going to transfer payments. And it's not like this is the first surplus we've had in a long time. We've had plenty of surpluses in the past decade and barely any of it has been saved. Instead, the PCs have spent it like drunken sailors in port for a weekend.

I acknowledge that we need to spend more on infrastructure, but we should be adding more than we do to the Heritage Trust Fund. It has hardly grown since the 1980s. It was created as a way to diversify our province, yet most of it is invested in the oil and gas industry. If we had truly invested across the board, we might not still be a boom/bust province.

Last edited by bootlegga on Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:22 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
Ontario and Quebec should get their houses in order.

Yea, they should find their own oil and sell it just like Alberta did.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:25 pm

Exactly how much tar sands oil was Alberta selling when it rationalized it's public sector?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:36 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
Exactly how much tar sands oil was Alberta selling when it rationalized it's public sector?

Right, it's public employees, not the fact that the US is having a RECESSION that's Ontario's and Quebec's problem.

But to answer your question, quite a bit, though the royalty breaks meant we made almost nothing on it. Conventional oil and gas, however, has been funding the province since well before Klein.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:47 pm

The US is not officially in a recession!