Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:15 pm

lily lily:
ziggy ziggy:
You cant prevent those failures but you can predict them with extensiometers.
There basically a wire stretched between 2 cracks and hooked to instruments to detect movement.Then wired to send a radio signal if somethings gonna happen.

Like they have on Turtle mountain next to me.

You can predict them by looking, sometimes.

Like I said... some places along the highway aren't sloped... they're overhangs. They've come down before, and they'll come down again.

Extensiometers will predict a failure long before it happens,there cheap and not hard to install in problem area's.

Ive trusted my life to them on one job working below an overhang way worse then that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:22 pm

It isn't called "see and die-highway" for nothing...

That busdriver and his passenger are very lucky, and so are all the people who went to the Pemberton Festival...

It is however a beautiful piece of power shown by Mother Nature :P I love those kind of things :D :D
(too bad it costs a lot of money, but damn, is it beautiful... :P :P)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:23 pm

Ya,im used to seeing it out my window on a weekly basis. :o

Attachments:
not again!.jpg
not again!.jpg [ 239.23 KiB | Viewed 33 times ]
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:27 pm

I have never had a problem on that road...It is a beautiful ride or drive..depending on your choice of vehicle...Lily is right, its the morons that drive it...when it says slow down..you do it. There is that one corner going into Britannia that will mess you up if you take it too fast....Folks should drive/ride the route to Tofino...NOW THAT IS FUN!!! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:39 pm

lily lily:
ziggy ziggy:
Ya,im used to seeing it out my window on a weekly basis. :o

Not the same thing at all.

Thats just an example of natural repose. Eventually every single mountain in the world will erode to a rounded hump.So if you build a road on or at the bottom of a mountain then it's going to have these failures.

I dont know what you think can be done to make it safer because aside from monitoring instruments you cant. The overhangs can be drilled and blasted but sometimes its best to leave the mountain alone.

It shouldnt be a big deal for the people who count on the road to get to their homes.You live in the mountains then this shit happens right? You just deal with it and tough it out.

When the big flood washed out the only road here to BC aside from the trans canada we were cut off for a week,I walked back to Alberta from BC on the tracks and met a 97 year old dude walking back to BC with his 96 year old wife and 90 year old bro.
They had another 20 miles to walk and it didnt seem like a big deal to them.

Shit happens. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:52 pm

TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
I have never had a problem on that road...It is a beautiful ride or drive..depending on your choice of vehicle...Lily is right, its the morons that drive it...when it says slow down..you do it. There is that one corner going into Britannia that will mess you up if you take it too fast....Folks should drive/ride the route to Tofino...NOW THAT IS FUN!!! :D

Try the going to the sun highway in Montana.The X used to lay the seat down so she didnt have to look out the window at the drop offs. :lol:

I would say..."ok,were passed them" and she would get up,look out the window and then give me a left cross because we werent by them. :lol:

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:05 pm

The sea to sky highway from Horseshoe bay to Squamish (damn I love driving that road) .....There is a better site out there...I just can't find it right now.

Sea to Sky

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:37 pm

YouTube of the same route.....enjoy the tunes y'all

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:47 pm

lily lily:
It's called the "Ski-to-Die" highway because a lot of the drivers on it are idiots who have no respect for either the road or the otrher drivers. Too many people drive too fast for conditions while impaired... drugs, alcohol or fatigue, or a combination thereof.

That's right. They drive white-knuckled and barely seeing over the steering wheel. IF the posted speed is 80 they go 50. If a car is coming they slow down even more. They ride their brakes up the hills and down the hills, except when the rare passing lane happens, then they pull to the right and go 140 kmh until they near the end when they jam on the brakes and assume the right lane has the right of way because it ended, and they're old and law abiding and drive a Buick....
Now they're taught to slow down when they're being tailgated and piss the guy off even more!
Sorry that was me, reminiscing about driving a 5 ton International up there and blowing doors off as I went by, way back when they were first building Whistler/Blackcomb.

This is normal stuff in BC. We should play it up as part of the adventure... and tell all the tourists "Tales of M Creek" around the campfire.... buah hah hah

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:52 pm

$1:
They drive white-knuckled and barely seeing over the steering wheel. IF the posted speed is 80 they go 50. If a car is coming they slow down even more. They ride their brakes up the hills and down the hills, except when the rare passing lane happens, then they pull to the right and go 140 kmh until they near the end when they jam on the brakes and assume the right lane has the right of way because it ended

Xactly this is one more reason they don't let me carry a gun in this country! :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:06 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
ridenrain ridenrain:
A few days earlier and there would have been quite a problem with the 40,000 folks at the Pemberton music fest. The trip through the canyon is quite a detour.

It's high time BC got the same sweetheart handouts that Ontario and Quebec get for their transportation infrastructure.

No doubt.

They gave Calgary a boatload for the 88 Olympics (to build the Deerfoot and expand their LRT system), so it would be only fair to do the same for Vancouver.

?????? The Deerfoot was built long before the city got the Olympics.....the LRT was in planning in 1972... No expansion was done because of the Olympics .

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:11 pm

And I'll happily let them spend a billion to upgrade the highway the day they offer a billion to upgrade Highway 16.
Goddam 604s griping about what Ontario gets and treating all us 250s like we were foreigners....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:11 pm

Newsbot Newsbot:
Title: Massive boulders sever highway between Vancouver and Whistler, B.C.
Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: -Mario-
Date: 2008-07-30 09:13:58
Canadian

blame it on Global warming.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:25 pm

mtbr mtbr:
Newsbot Newsbot:
Title: Massive boulders sever highway between Vancouver and Whistler, B.C.
Category: Misc CDN
Posted By: -Mario-
Date: 2008-07-30 09:13:58
Canadian

blame it on Global warming.

SHADDUP!!! You and your OCD and Global warming...Im gonna hunt you down, get you shitfaced...and Tattoo a Portrait of Al Gore, with the caption 'I 'heart' Al Gore'...On your back :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:29 pm

OMG, I wanna see that! I'll even help you get him shitfaced... I'm even willing to tie him down at the tattoo-shop! (and let him pay the bill ROTFL)

Why not on his chest, btw? Then he has to look at it too :lol: :twisted: