Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:40 pm

I thought you were a cylon?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:56 pm

It's part of my plan which still isn't revealed through 4 seasons and a half.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:03 pm

Tman1 Tman1:
It's part of my plan which still isn't revealed through 4 seasons and a half.

Hook me up with any clone of boomer or 6 and all is forgiven! 8)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:07 pm

Too bad you are in the east, Boomer is in the west (Vancouver) :wink: Besides, I know Roslin is more your type. Two peas in a pod.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:08 pm

Tman1 Tman1:
Too bad you are in the east, Boomer is in the west (Vancouver) :wink: Besides, I know Roslin is more your type. Two peas in a pod.

Any port in a storm! :wink:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:05 pm

DerbyX DerbyX:
Don't you ever sleep or go out drinking?

Are you actually Scape-bot?

Yes, in fact last night was my 5th anniversary. Me and the missus celebrated till the wee hours. Come to think of it we didn't recall have time to do any drinkin...

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:19 am

Scape Scape:
Russia threatens to supply Iran with top new missile system as 'cold war' escalates
$1:
US intelligence fears the Kremlin will supply the sophisticated S-300 system to Tehran if Washington pushes through Nato membership for its pro-Western neighbours Georgia and Ukraine.

The proposed deal is causing huge alarm in the US and Israel as the S-300 can track 100 targets at once and fire on planes up to 75 miles away.

"The message from Moscow is very clear," said George Friedman, director of Stratfor, a leading US private intelligence agency. "They are saying if you don't stop meddling in our sphere of influence, this is what we are going to do.

"Back Georgia and Ukraine for Nato membership and you'll see the S-300 to Iran. It is a very powerful bargaining chip and a major deterrent to US actions in the region. Moscow is playing very strategically on America's obsession with Iran."

Absolutely correct.

One way Russia can put pressure on America is to supply the pipeline of weapons into Iraq via Iran. That's happening and will continue to happen.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:58 am

Russia's Putin saves TV crew from Siberian tiger

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:01 am

Wow, thats pretty shameless, staging something like that. Next think you know Bush is going to dress up in an elmer fudd hat and hogtie a brown bear.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:48 am

Eisensapper Eisensapper:
Wow, thats pretty shameless, staging something like that. Next think you know Bush is going to dress up in an elmer fudd hat and hogtie a brown bear.

If Cheney dont shoot him first to get the hat !! ROTFL

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:03 pm

PDT_Armataz_01_37

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:55 pm

The Cold War is not coming back
$1:
The use of metaphors and historical allusions is common, but one has to be careful lest one's analysis becomes hostage to inappropriate models. The "Cold War" was a particular historical phenomenon. While Russia's actions certainly need to be taken seriously, the Cold War is not coming back.

NATO’s Disastrous Georgian Fudge
$1:
In retrospect the NATO summit declaration of April 3 about Georgia and Ukraine seems almost criminal in its irresponsibility: “We agreed today that these countries will become members of NATO.”

That lofty commitment emerged from a Bucharest meeting so split over the two countries’ aspirations to enter the Atlantic alliance that it could not even agree to offer the first step toward joining, the Membership Action Plan that prepares nations for NATO.

It is unconscionable to declare objectives for which the means do not exist, and to paper over European-American division through statements of ringing but empty principle. The history of the so-called “safe areas” in Bosnia, Srebrenica among them, is sufficient testimony to the bloodshed lurking in loose commitments.

The great Bucharest fudge succeeded only in infuriating the Russians without providing the deterrence value of concrete steps for Georgia and Ukraine. Vladimir Putin, then Russian president and now prime minister, made Moscow’s fury plain to President Bush afterward in Sochi, but Bush, no surprise, was asleep at the wheel.

Blood has since been shed, Georgia’s borders trampled, and its breakaway provinces of South Ossetia and Abkhazia recognized by Russia resurgent.

That’s a cautionary tale for Monday’s European Union summit on the Georgian crisis: no empty commitments, please, and no feel-good doling-out of threats or sanctions against Russia for which the will and means are lacking. Grandstanding has had its day.

I’m appalled by what Russia has wrought in Georgia. The gulag and the enslavement of wide swaths of Europe by the Soviet empire burden Moscow with a historical responsibility for the freedom of its neighbors. Viktor Yuschenko, the Ukrainian president, put these neighbors’ fears bluntly: “What has happened is a threat to everyone.”

It is, but Putin, or at least Putin II, the angry man of the second half of his rule, thinks all that’s bunk.

In 2005, the ex-K.G.B. man, his veneer of St. Petersburg liberalism already buried, called the demise of the Soviet Union “the greatest geopolitical catastrophe” of the 20th century. So perhaps we should not be surprised by the Georgian grab. Yet shock is palpable in Europe and the United States.

At the Democratic national convention here, a Georgian delegation wandered around garnering sympathy. Public relations are a weak state’s best 21st-century weapon.

David Bakradze, the chairman of the Georgian Parliament, told me: “Russia’s aim is to weaken Georgia to the point that NATO allies are scared, instability brings regime change, and the map of Europe is changed by military force.”

I can’t argue with that and I don’t like it any more than Bakradze. But before we get to what to do about it, a few points of history bear examination.

No, the West was not wrong to extend NATO to the former vassal states of the Soviet empire in central Europe and the Baltic. The debt incurred at Yalta and the indivisibility of a free Europe demanded no less.

Could more have been done to bring Russia into this new European “architecture?” I think not. Ron Asmus, who dealt with these questions as a senior Clinton administration State Department official, told me “It’s become a Weimar-like legend that we humiliated them.”

Hundreds of man hours and countless trips went into nudging the Russians westward. The NATO-Russia Council was established; cooperation on nuclear weapons disarmament and non-proliferation was put in place. Boris Yeltsin tried to break Russia’s imperial tradition; Putin did not immediately reverse that course.

The full story of what turned Putin cannot yet be written. Georgia’s “Rose Revolution” of 2003 and Ukraine’s “Orange Revolution” of 2004 were critical. Iraq played a part. I’m sure the huge amounts of money accruing to the managers, Putin chief among them, of a controlled one-pipeline Russian state did, too. And here we are.

Russia will pay a price for what it’s done. It’s angered China, opened a Pandora’s box for a state with its own breakaway candidates, and lost its international law card.

Rather than a new cold war, we’re in a new broad war with several players, headed by China, and Putin’s Russia has placed short-term gain before long-term interests.

So the West should not overplay its hand. Breaking off arms reduction and missile defense talks with Russia is in nobody’s interest. Nor are cheap shots like throwing Russia out of an (ever less relevant) G-8.

But nor can the West be cowed. It must shore up the Georgian president, Mikheil Saakashvili, with financial and other support. It must keep the trans-Caspian, Russia-circumventing energy corridor open. It must bolster Ukraine’s independence. And, at the NATO foreign ministers’ meeting in December, it should replace Bucharest blather with basics: a Membership Action Plan for Georgia and Ukraine.

Resolve tempered by engagement won the cold war. It can help in the broad war.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:00 pm

Does anyone recall the bay of pigs? It was a total debacle that got laid at Kennedys feet and made the U.S. look exceptionally stupid. Kennedy had integrity and brains, bush is an idiot and a coward, so this one (if the U.S. is really stupid enough to carry it through) is gonna be b.o.p. on steroids.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:20 am

Cheney opens ex-Soviet state tour

U.S. to announce $1 billion aid for Georgia

Putin vowing 'answer' to ships

Putin's ultimatum to Rudd over uranium deal

Putin reminds EU of Russia's Pacific oil pipeline

Medvedev: No longer recognizes Mikheil Saakashvili as the president of Georgia

Moscow’s decision formally to recognize South Ossetia and Abkhazia as independent, over the vocal objections of the United States and Europe, shows it has consciously taken its game beyond a point of no return. As isolation becomes more and more apparent so to will the situation escalate. This is a very dangerous game of chicken, one which Putin will not blink when the current US administration has months left in its mandate and the EU is only too aware how economically vulnerable they are.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:20 am

Scape Scape:
As isolation becomes more and more apparent

Not any more. Nicaragua also recognized South Ossetia and Abkhazia... :lol: