bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:27 pm

lily lily:
Or leave the religion and politics out and stick to language.

Personally - I wouldn't mind seeing every asshole and shithead disappear. ;)

But then where...nah....too easy. ;)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:49 pm

Eisensapper Eisensapper:
Wada Wada:
"The United States was founded on Judao-Christian beliefs. "In God We Trust""

Where exactly and who were these Jews in the founding of America?

XD thats fucking awsome!!!

Fucking stupid. :roll:

Judao-Christian is a term used to describe the body of concepts and values which are thought to be held in common by Judaism and adapted by Christianity....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judao-Christian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:57 pm

tritium tritium:
Eisensapper Eisensapper:
Wada Wada:
"The United States was founded on Judao-Christian beliefs. "In God We Trust""

Where exactly and who were these Jews in the founding of America?

XD thats fucking awsome!!!

Fucking stupid. :roll:

Judao-Christian is a term used to describe the body of concepts and values which are thought to be held in common by Judaism and adapted by Christianity....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judao-Christian

Why are religious people immune to sarcasim? :wink:
http://www.venganza.org/

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:24 pm

The U.S. was founded on the principles of Judeo-Christianity.
You can rail against that all you like, but you cannot change
the history.
Unfortunately, the future CAN be changed...but not for the better.
One only has to look to the future of Europe,
who have let their secularism put their entire continent at
risk of becoming Caliphates and Emirates in the future, by
people to whom secularism is a non-starter.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:29 pm

Good song.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:35 pm

robmik43 robmik43:
The U.S. was founded on the principles of Judeo-Christianity.
You can rail against that all you like, but you cannot change
the history.
Unfortunately, the future CAN be changed...but not for the better.
One only has to look to the future of Europe,
who have let their secularism put their entire continent at
risk of becoming Caliphates and Emirates in the future, by
people to whom secularism is a non-starter.

So your saying being secular forces you into a islamic state?? :?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:40 pm

lily lily:
Tricks Tricks:
Good song.

Yeah, it is.... but Lennon didn't write it himself, he swiped it from Forrest Gump.

Meh, still a good song.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:32 pm

Eisensapper Eisensapper:
Robair Robair:
Use any of the markers you like; divorce rates, teen pregnancy, youth crime, violent youth... ...how do you think we're doing in our march towards enlightenment?

You should look at the studies where they add religions into that mix. What about same sex marrage, freedom of speech, universal equality.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_dira.htm
Odd to find no difference between atheist and Roman Catholics. You have to take classes, counseling etc before the Roman Catholic church will marry you. Not so with a J.P.

But I wonder about that athiest divorce rate, as quite a few that I know don't even bother making it official.

Eisensapper Eisensapper:
http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/050721/d050721a.htm

Stats can only goes back 10 years, some spots are up some are down. I wouldn't blame childeren becoming violent because of lack of religious influences though.
What would you blame it on? 10 years isn't going back a generation. I don't think you can honestly tell me that this generation isn't more violent than the last. We didn't use to have people killing people with axes at high school parties for example.

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:32 pm

Law should be founded on facts. Religion is not factual, mostly rumors and speculation.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:46 pm

What time does the "soul" train leave Memphis, I need a new soul.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:48 pm

Blue_Nose Blue_Nose:
The sister of my girlfriend back in highschool got knocked up by a hockey player living at their house for the season - he promptly went back to Thunder Bay or wherever the hell he was from to his parents because his family was "religious" and they couldn't have their underaged son with an illegitimate child. Not sure what "God" will have to say about that one, but that's irrelevant to the fact that she's stuck raising a child while trying to graduate from high school.

Anecdotal evidence, to be sure, but it sure does go against any notion that religion necessarily imparts morals that aren't available through other venues.
That is not an example of the Christian thing to do, that's for sure.

Here's some Anecdotal stuff for you, came from a conversation with a Nun. There is a school/convent in SW Saskatchewan where they tend to send problem children. Not 100% the case but generally if there is a young girl out of control, drugs, teen pregnancy, school drop out or whatever and the parents can't fix it, they send her to this school. Asked the Nun who has been there for a very long time how it's going. (she knows me, I was in a musical there when I was 12)

She said the girls they get now are a lot worse than any they've had before. She said some of them are just about animals when they are dropped off.

She says this is the first generation that was raised with no religion. Problem children of the past had gone to Sunday school and church when they were younger, then quit and rebelled or what have you. But she said this generation had never been taught the ten commandments etc. So that's her theory, and she's in the business of problem children. Has been for quite some time.

I'm not saying "the church is the answer" or preaching at anybody, but I am countering attacks on religions like the Catholic Church. You can't go wrong with the ten commandments, not a bad set of rules to teach a youngster.

The "personal freedom" idea can be taken too far. And I do think that to some degree violent/disrespectful youth can be attributed to a lack of traditional values. More of a "me first", personal freedom attitude.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:26 pm

tritium tritium:
Fucking Liberals. The Godless Dems.

Same fuckers that don't want Christmas symbols in malls.

The United States was founded on Judao-Christian beliefs. "In God We Trust"

*yawn* Have you got any other dumb slogans and misguided sound bites to puke out, or are you done now?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:32 pm

Always wanted to write a novella in which future mankind discovers all religions were "sort of right" and guess little parts of the big picture.
The Buddhists were sorta right, we are all part of the big IS.
Fundamentalists and Yoda were sorta right, you can affect human reality by tapping the big IS.
Jehovah's Witnesses sorta got it right too, but there isn't a finite number of spaces in Heaven, just a finite limit to how much you can subdivide the ISness....
we have 6 billion people and we're populating faster than the IS can divide, people are being born without "souls", and as more an more of the population are 'sociopaths' the natural order of things is a chaos which thins us back to sustainablity....

Book that would be good? Or just send donations to Reverend Herbie and join his Church of Whatever? :D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:51 am

Robair Robair:
She says this is the first generation that was raised with no religion. Problem children of the past had gone to Sunday school and church when they were younger, then quit and rebelled or what have you. But she said this generation had never been taught the ten commandments etc. So that's her theory, and she's in the business of problem children. Has been for quite some time.
That's a lack of proper parenting - I was raised with absolutely no religion and I'm in many cases more ethical than my religious counterparts who had less parental involvement in their lives.

There's no indication that it's religion that makes people good - you could as easily pin those negative issues on the increase in watching television, or rock music.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:41 am

Robair Robair:
I'm not saying "the church is the answer" or preaching at anybody, but I am countering attacks on religions like the Catholic Church. You can't go wrong with the ten commandments, not a bad set of rules to teach a youngster.

You shall have no other gods before me - Umm ya dont think we need that one

You shall not make for yourself an idol - Ahah tell that to Canadian Idol, but its kinda relevent, I think it was refering to bronze statues of other gods.

You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God - God Damnit! Oh well I guess Im going to hell, I can see how this helps troubled kids.

Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy - So far its 1-4 against needing the 10 commandments. Nova Scotica tried to keep this one, it didnt stick. Oh and the punishment for this one in the old testement was getting stoned, and not the fun kind.

Honor your father and mother - Thats just common sense, and if you need a book to tell you that you are in trouble.

You shall not murder - Again common sense, don't kill people it's not nice and its not moral. Again the old testment contradicts itself when God murders countless scores of people. People were also given props by God when they murdered sinners.

You shall not commit adultery - Rape was ok though in the old testment, as long as she wasn't married, in the eyes of the lord.

You shall not steal - Another one along the same lines as the last 4. Something you should be able to figure out without the church.

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor - Again...

You shall not covet your neighbor's wife - Kinda along the same lines as before, but again I dont see how this would apply to kids.

So lets see, 4 out of 10 commandments apply to teens. Those 4 can be found in almost any society, I am tempted to just say any society but Im sure there are some out there that go for swingers. Really though I cant see how relevent the 10 commandments are. Maybe the 4 or 5 commandments but then thats what they could be called, the 4 or 5 relevent commandmets. Just not as catchy I guess. :rock:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next