Category: Political
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2009-03-30 12:58:09
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:24 pm

Unlikely. He brought us to the brink of deficit, even before these short lived stimulus measures, with the GST and other tax cuts. I very much doubt that he'll be able to even bring us back to balanced budget without raising taxes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:26 pm

we can all vote Liberal and guarantee a raise in taxes...immediately

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:33 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
Unlikely. He brought us to the brink of deficit, even before these short lived stimulus measures, with the GST and other tax cuts. I very much doubt that he'll be able to even bring us back to balanced budget without raising taxes.

But the NDP wouldn't have brought in a deficit would they?

I think not. Jack's plan was always loosey goosey to me. And yes the liberals would have us in deficit's period. Recession or not.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Maybe it's like Bush senior's promise way back when -- no gnu taxes!

If he can keep the promise, that'd be great, but given the tax cuts and spending increases, I don't see taxes not going up. But it wouldn't make a difference who was in office right now.

Frankly, I'd be willing to pay higher taxes if it went into the CF, especially if we bought some stuff made here in Canada (Buffaloes, new LAVs, DDHs/JSS).

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:42 pm

uwish uwish:
hurley_108 hurley_108:

I think not. Jack's plan was always loosey goosey to me. And yes the liberals would have us in deficit's period. Recession or not.

Forget the NDP.

Yes, we likely would have been in a deficit under the Liberals, but we'd either still have a 7% GST raising funds for the Government to use for stimulus, or available NOW as a tax cut to stimulate the economy.

Harper cut taxes at the height of the boom, which was just pure lunacy. Ignatieff said it better than I can:

“The Conservatives chose reckless spending and irresponsible tax policy over prudence and fiscal discipline. They drove Canada towards a deficit – long before this recession began. And in doing so, they harmed the federal government’s ability to act in the national interest in times of crisis.”

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:51 pm

I love how the logic works when it comes to the GST for some people. When Harper cut it, people said it was too insignificant to actually make a difference to people because the amounts were too small. Well, then by extension then wouldn't that also mean that the revenue lost is also relatively insignificant to the government? But when it comes to solving the deficit problem, bringing the GST back to 7% is more then enough and would even provide a surplus.

Strange strange logic.

*EDIT* As for the implication that Harper brought us to the brink of deficit before, its just because he increased spending but also budgeted in debt payments instead of relying on huge surpluses at the end of the year. The surplus is still there, just its amongst other spending.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:01 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:

Ahh, but it doesn't have to be a new tax, just enlarge an existing one.
It all in the wording.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:10 pm

mtbr mtbr:

Harper sucked the lib govt of ontario into harmonizing the gst with the pst.. now it looks like McGuinty raised taxes when it was actually harpers govt.. nice trick.
now things that didnt have taxes have tax on them.. everything... thanks stevie.. no new taxes..bullcrap!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:12 pm

kenmore kenmore:
Harper sucked the lib govt of ontario into harmonizing the gst with the pst.. now it looks like McGuinty raised taxes when it was actually harpers govt.. nice trick.
now things that didnt have taxes have tax on them.. everything... thanks stevie.. no new taxes..bullcrap!

You are willfully ignorant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:22 pm

Harper'll just do a Mikey and slash programs. No gnu taxes. No programs. If it's really worth doing, private industry'll fill the void, won't they? Back to the glory days of private fire companies. Not a subscriber to their company? Too bad, so sad. Sorry we had to let your house burn. Next time, you'll choose more wisely, won't you?

Conservatives live for ideology trumping reality and practicality

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:46 pm

kenmore kenmore:
mtbr mtbr:

less crack dude, less crack.

Talk about a HUGE stretch, just because the LIBERALS in ONT are raising taxes you find the need to blame the sitting federal government.

Take off your tin foil hat!

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:52 pm

hurley_108 hurley_108:
uwish uwish:
hurley_108 hurley_108:

Forget the NDP.

Yes, we likely would have been in a deficit under the Liberals, but we'd either still have a 7% GST raising funds for the Government to use for stimulus, or available NOW as a tax cut to stimulate the economy.

Harper cut taxes at the height of the boom, which was just pure lunacy. Ignatieff said it better than I can:

“The Conservatives chose reckless spending and irresponsible tax policy over prudence and fiscal discipline. They drove Canada towards a deficit – long before this recession began. And in doing so, they harmed the federal government’s ability to act in the national interest in times of crisis.”

NDP who?

funny how you quickly dismiss your chosen party when it doesn't back up your argument.

Yeah, don't worry 99% of canucks have already forgotten the NDP, but I'd bet big money that ol' Jackie hasn't forgotten how close he was to getting a seat at the grown up's table until he threw his little pissy fit after Iggy slapped him sideways.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:02 pm

If anyone believes that we can continue without a major tax increase at some point, they’re delusional. Just the fact that Harper makes a promise like that guarantees that it will happen, and it doesn’t matter what your political leanings are. It’s a matter of economics.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:12 pm

kenmore kenmore:
mtbr mtbr:

Do you have proof of this or are you just talking out of your ass because of your hatred for Harper? If there is evidence for it I would love to see it but if not then this is just pathetic.