canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:14 pm

Title: Road wars: Can cyclists and motorists get along?
Category: lifestyle
Posted By: kitty
Date: 2009-05-24 19:48:11
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:14 pm

Cyclists cn get along with drivers, but not bicycle activists. The critical mass events don't help anyone.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:17 pm

The important thing about bike lanes is that they have to go somewhere. In Ottawa, a lot of the bike lanes are completely useless and actually more of a hazard to both cyclist and motorist because the lanes end for no reason, often causing cyclists to have to merge with heavy traffic.

The battle here is not cyclists vs motorists but all people who use the roads vs city planning.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:22 pm

AHAHHAHHH! It's a ghost!

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 10:23 pm

Not until bikes are made out of material that won't scratch vehicles. I've already got three nasty gouges in the Dakota from inconsiderate cyclists who wouldn't get out of my way! :lol:

Last edited by Yogi on Sun May 24, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 11:06 pm

I am seriously wondering why there are so little bike lanes. Of course (and here we go again...) where I come from, EVERY street has a bike lane (except for the highway, which I still think is the most stupid idea, a bike line on a highway...). Its just a matter of widening the roads you are building...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 3:35 am

I absolutely hate motorists in this city. They don't respect rules and cross-walks.

Screw your honking and attitude, the sign says "Walk".

See that light? It's red. See that line? It's white, it's painted there for pedestrians. You don't park your SUV in the middle of that when waiting for the green light.

If I scrap your vehicle, it's your issue. I respect the damn traffic rules.

Learn to drive and we'll get along just fine.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:20 am

Brenda Brenda:
I am seriously wondering why there are so little bike lanes. Of course (and here we go again...) where I come from, EVERY street has a bike lane (except for the highway, which I still think is the most stupid idea, a bike line on a highway...). Its just a matter of widening the roads you are building...

About 15 years ago, the tree-huggers at the University of Guelph wanted a bike lane to be built on Gordon Street from the U of G campus to downtown Guelph. They protested and lobbied and harassed city counsil. Finally, the city agreed to widen the road and build the bike path, but noted that, to do so, they would have to cut down 120 old growth oak and chestnut trees lining the street to widen it. All of a sudden the same people that were petitioning for the bike path were chaining themselves to the chestnut trees.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:36 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Brenda Brenda:

About 15 years ago, the tree-huggers at the University of Guelph wanted a bike lane to be built on Gordon Street from the U of G campus to downtown Guelph. They protested and lobbied and harassed city counsil. Finally, the city agreed to widen the road and build the bike path, but noted that, to do so, they would have to cut down 120 old growth oak and chestnut trees lining the street to widen it. All of a sudden the same people that were petitioning for the bike path were chaining themselves to the chestnut trees.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

That is just too funny! :D

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:02 am

well I hope this issue sorts itself out. the more bicyclers the less cars on the road.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:12 am

When cyclists start obeying the rules of the road ie. stop signs, red lights, one vehicle per lane, than drivers will start respecting them. Too often I see cyclists rant at drivers for driving too close to them but at the next red light the cyclist merely waits for a gap in traffic to carry on his merry way. If cyclists want respect they must change their driving habits!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:14 am

2Cdo 2Cdo:
When cyclists start obeying the rules of the road ie. stop signs, red lights, one vehicle per lane, than drivers will start respecting them. Too often I see cyclists rant at drivers for driving too close to them but at the next red light the cyclist merely waits for a gap in traffic to carry on his merry way. If cyclists want respect they must change their driving habits!

Cyclists say the same thing of drivers. If one group is more at fault, I strongly suspect it's the motorists.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:19 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
2Cdo 2Cdo:

Cyclists say the same thing of drivers. If one group is more at fault, I strongly suspect it's the motorists.

You'd be wrong if you lived where I do. Cyclists obeying traffic signs is almost non-existant, motorists obeying traffic signs is probably close to 100%.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:25 am

Lemmy Lemmy:
Brenda Brenda:

Frankly, it would be better not to have the bike lanes anyway. Cyclists need to learn to ride with the rest of traffic.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Boston Bruins

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 11:28 am

romanP romanP:
Frankly, it would be better not to have the bike lanes anyway. Cyclists need to learn to ride with the rest of traffic.

Ideally that would require a big change of attitude by both parties.