Title: B.C. natives fear violence over mine
Category: Business
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2010-04-26 21:39:55
Canadian

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:03 am

Typical pc headline. It should read "BC natives threaten violenct" but of course that won't do, since natives are always the victims.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:33 am

andyt andyt:
Typical pc headline. It should read "BC natives threaten violenct" but of course that won't do, since natives are always the victims.

Oh for sure. I know I'd be THRILLED if some new mine was going to be dumping tailings into my water source and killing all the fish. Shit, I was pissed at the Region of Waterloo when they decided to be the test area for adding ammonia to the water supply to "make the chlorine last longer".
I'd be out for blood of they did something like allowing mine run off into my water supply.
Ya know, sometimes the Natives aren't the idiots.

"Water is worth more than gold." One day, we may just understand that.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:37 am

If it was their land, they would have a case. Apparently, it's not.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:28 am

Brenda Brenda:
If it was their land, they would have a case. Apparently, it's not.

Actually, it's unclear about who owns Fish Lake, which is the centre of the argument. If the natives indeed own the lake and depend upon the water which the company intends to poison, then I fully understand their argument.

Even if they did not, why is it okay to kill yet another lake and rip open the land simply in the name of economic progress?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:33 am

Which means, imho, that the government has as much "right" as anyone else. If they would use the environmental argument, fine, but now it is "we are natives, we rely on this lake for our water, get lost".
THAT is what annoys me. The Native card. Again.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:38 am

Brenda Brenda:
Which means, imho, that the government has as much "right" as anyone else. If they would use the environmental argument, fine, but now it is "we are natives, we rely on this lake for our water, get lost".
THAT is what annoys me. The Native card. Again.

Well, I agree that the 'sacred' argument holds no water (pardon the pun). Apparently someone needs to advise natives that the 'sacred' card is rather worn these days.

That being said, the government has no right to give the green light to a company set on destroying their water source. Too much of that is allowed to happen.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:24 am

Gunnair Gunnair:

why is it okay to kill yet another lake and rip open the land simply in the name of economic progress?

What's special about this lake? Ripping open the land is how we've always made our money. Try to tell Alberta to no rip open the land. Or any other resource province - pretty well most of them. Of course all environmental safeguards should be met, but we've always been ecorapists, we'll probably be escapists till we disappear as a species.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:17 pm

andyt andyt:
Gunnair Gunnair:

why is it okay to kill yet another lake and rip open the land simply in the name of economic progress?

What's special about this lake? Ripping open the land is how we've always made our money. Try to tell Alberta to no rip open the land. Or any other resource province - pretty well most of them. Of course all environmental safeguards should be met, but we've always been ecorapists, we'll probably be escapists till we disappear as a species.

Fresh water.