canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:01 pm

Title: Judges and victims advocate say Tory crime bill will make Canada less safe
Category: Political
Posted By: Curtman
Date: 2012-02-23 12:30:26
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:01 pm

$1:
Steve Sullivan, the former federal ombudsman for victims of crime, says victims seldom feel they find justice in the courts, and that won't change with tougher sentences.

Did Sullivan take a survey on this matter, or is he just shooting from the hip?

Lax sentences is one reason why victims don't feel justice is being served, another big one is the absurd amount of time it can take for a court case to run its course.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:29 pm

What they of course fail to mention is why they said they will feel less safe. Love to actually hear from one victim because that's something you never hear after a trial is over.
"Yes I was stabbed, beaten and robbed..........but I think probation is far too harsh on my assailant." :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:42 pm

I'd like to know what kind of victim's advocate would be against longer sentencing. The only reason victim's groups formed in the first place was because of the disgustingly short sentences these goddamn left-wing judges keep giving out to violent criminal scum. Is this guy just another lefty who thinks that the fucking criminals are the "real" victims in all of this? He sounds battier than the choads in the NDP usually are. :evil:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Hate to burst your partisan bubble:
$1:
A group including a victims' advocate, two retired judges and a former Conservative MP say Canadians will be more fearful and less safe five years from now under criminal justice changes being made by the Harper government.

The point they're making is that you get less recidivism if you let perps out on parole before their time is up so they can be re-integrated into society. That doesn't argue against longer sentences tho, because you could have them out on parole for even longer. That's what I favor. Just have to way beef up the parole system so that they're actually effective.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:51 pm

andyt andyt:
Hate to burst your partisan bubble:

He got that. I believe he was calling bullshit.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Strange. Everytime I turn on the tv I see images of victims and victims families who constantly say they want closure and that the punishments met out for the crimes committed aren't enough.

I guess what Grant Depaties dad is really saying is that he is happy that his sons killer basically walked free.

I'd love to see the demographics of the people they interviewed for the survey because my guess would be that at election time you'd either find a NDP or Liberal sign on their front lawns. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:48 pm

I knew there was a reason for this stance.

$1:
Provincial Crown prosecutors say their caseload is already at the breaking point and they'll be overwhelmed by the new laws, said Sullivan, meaning more charges are stayed and more plea bargains on lesser charges.

It would appeat that Justice is once again subverted by the almighty buck. Sorry were broke so let's make it look like we don't want more criminals punished and we can save some money.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:00 pm

Since we're on the topic. Here's the latest one from another "advocate".

$1:
Bill May Create Crime

The federal government's omnibus crime bill may not curb youth crime and may instead boost it, as teens look to gain a reputation among their peers and in gangs, youth advocates told a Senate committee Wednesday.

The national organization representing provincial youth advocates argued that provisions of the government's omnibus crime bill, Bill C-10, that call for some violent young offenders to be named publicly could entice some impressionable youth to commit a crime to gain notoriety with gangs.

"The idea that they will have their names published is a very serious issue that has not been adequately addressed in this bill," said the organization's president, B.C. youth advocate Mary-Ellen Turpel-Lafond.

Turpel-Lafond urged senators to seriously reconsider that provision in the legislation

Youth advocates went before the Senate committee reviewing Bill C-10 on Wednesday to argue that portions of the bill cast too broad a net and treat young offenders as adults.

In the morning, police representatives from the RCMP, Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police and Toronto Police Services, argued the bill would give them the ability to deal with violent, repeat young offenders.

"The act is not effective in dealing with this small core of young offenders. Clearly, all of you disagree," Conservative Sen. Bob Runciman told the youth advocates.

http://www.canada.com/Bill+create+crime ... story.html

The "advocates" reasoning for quashing the bill seems to become even less and less plausible the closer this bill comes to passing, which, seems to indicate either partisan politiics or job protection.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:10 pm

Regina Regina:
What they of course fail to mention is why they said they will feel less safe. Love to actually hear from one victim because that's something you never hear after a trial is over.
"Yes I was stabbed, beaten and robbed..........but I think probation is far too harsh on my assailant." :roll:

In non-violent crime? My car has been stolen twice and broken into a third time, I would feel like too much justice was served if they got 5 years hard time for it, instead I would like to see them picking up trash or other community service. Jail will just harden them, make them pay back the community and cover my down payment in insurance and I am happy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Is this guy just another lefty who thinks that the fucking criminals are the "real" victims in all of this? He sounds battier than the choads in the NDP usually are. :evil:

$1:
"I think fear is at the basis of much of the government's work here," said David Daubney, former chair of the House of Commons justice committee under the Mulroney Conservatives

Lefty? He's one of your own, and he says you guys are out to lunch on this.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:01 pm

Shut up, pothead, and go fire up a few more blunts before bedtime. The sober people are trying to have a discussion here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:04 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Shut up, pothead, and go fire up a few more blunts before bedtime. The sober people are trying to have a discussion here.

ROTFL

I love it when you guys realize you've said something stupid.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:

$1:
The federal government's omnibus crime bill may not curb youth crime and may instead boost it, as teens look to gain a reputation among their peers and in gangs, youth advocates told a Senate committee Wednesday.

The national organization representing provincial youth advocates argued that provisions of the government's omnibus crime bill, Bill C-10, that call for some violent young offenders to be named publicly could entice some impressionable youth to commit a crime to gain notoriety with gangs.

"The idea that they will have their names published is a very serious issue that has not been adequately addressed in this bill," said the organization's president, B.C. youth advocate Mary-Ellen Turpel-Lafond.

<SNIP>

The "advocates" reasoning for quashing the bill seems to become even less and less plausible the closer this bill comes to passing, which, seems to indicate either partisan politiics or job protection.

You don't believe that the gangsters love to see their name in the paper? You're completely out of touch with the problem then.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Curtman Curtman:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:

$1:

<SNIP>

You don't believe that the gangsters love to see their name in the paper? You're completely out of touch with the problem then.

After reflecting on the fact that with age comes wisdom, I came to the realisation that you don't have a clue about most anything and likely know less about this crime bill than you do about the effects of legalizing drugs, which, when you think about it proves that if i'm out of touch, your freakin delusional.

Besides, these assclown gangbanger wannabe's may want to get their name in the paper but it isn't gonna do them alot of good even if it happens because instead of getting street credability like you seem to think they deserve, they're more than likely gonna be getting a very large cylindrical shaped meat sausage from a nice gentleman named Bubba for the next few years instead.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 62 posts ]  1  2  3  4  5  Next