CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:17 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
Brenda Brenda:
Gunnair Gunnair:
Get Brenda to put that up as an avatar instead of her fucking duck! :D

I ain't putting up a pick of myself, are you kidding me?? :lol:

(My "fucking duck" is cute, and makes my bitching look more innocent. Right? :twisted: )

You're blonde now? I bet cuffs and collar don't match! :P

Fluffy cuffs and spiked collar never match... [angel]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Gunnair Gunnair:
Brenda Brenda:

You're blonde now? I bet cuffs and collar don't match! :P

Fluffy cuffs and spiked collar never match... [angel]

:lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Ohhh, no, I got your carpet/drape-thingy. I just did not want to get into it too deep :twisted:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:25 pm

Tricks Tricks:
Or become bitter and take it out on the Kids. I'd say I am probably biased, but that's because my family went through hell in the school board. My Mother was the Chair of the PTA or something, fuck if I remember. She got so sick of the shit the board was pulling she pulled me and my two siblings out of school and stuck us in a private school, as did some other parents. So yeah, I'm probably a little jaded.
So,now it's school boards.
Teachers are required to teach a curriculum set out by the Ministry of Education in the province they teach in. In Saskatchewan this is available to the general public on the internet. I don't know for sure but I suspect the same holds in all other provinces. Now, a teacher is notdoing their job when they don't teach that curriculum, which they did not develop themselves. It's the job of parents to make sure their children have been taught what they are supposed to learn. If not the teacher will be fired. If you don't like what is being taught, talk to the school board or the director of education. The teacher is required to teach the curriculum and has only a small amount of wiggle room. So, instead of complaining, check out what the kids (yeah, you don't have any) are learning. If you don't like it: first make sure they are not teaching the curriculum because that's what they gotta do.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:41 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Tricks Tricks:
I think what I (and possibly Brenda) were objecting to was Beaver's seeming claim that teachers are as responsible or more responsible for the raising of youth than the parents. That's at least how I read it. Me no rikey.

Yes.

It's a partnership. Hopefully there’s a lot of cross-over and reinforcement. If Teacher is modelling the same values in class that Mom and Dad are instilling at home, then it’s not “either or” but “both”. If Mom and Dad are practising at home the concepts studied in class, then it’s not “either or” but "both". If common sense, respect, manners, honesty, etc. are values expected at home and at school, the kid’s likely getting a good education and enjoying a good home-life.

On the other hand, if Mom and Dad are trashing teachers as lazy, incompetent buffoons, ill-deserving of respect, then probably the kid is going to treat the school system disrespectfully. The surest way to guarantee that your kid gets a shitty education is to send him to school believing that’s exactly what he’s going to get.

Hey Brenda, what are those yummy Dutch meatballs that they serve in all the pubs in Amsterdam? Can you build me some of them? [drool] :P

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:44 pm

$1:
One could say you hate all Chinese

Only the ones who are in charge of my pay and who cut me off and run into me in traffic....but i'd hate the fuckers in the same way if they were British, Italian, Indian or Swedish.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:46 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Ohhh, no, I got your carpet/drape-thingy. I just did not want to get into it too deep :twisted:

Don't worry. You're not a ewe, so he'll never go too deep.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:06 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Hey Brenda, what are those yummy Dutch meatballs that they serve in all the pubs in Amsterdam? Can you build me some of them? [drool] :P

You mean Bitterballen?

And HELL yes, I can! Bring beer!!

The are VERY easy to make yourself :P
http://www.youcook.ca/blog/2010/02/hhh-bitterballen/

I like to make them with milk and chicken instead of beef and beef broth tho :)
You can throw everything in it as long as you cut it really small :) Shrimp, veggies, goulash...
But weirdly, we make croquetten out of that (which is the same, but then long :lol:)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:12 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
Brenda Brenda:

Don't worry. You're not a ewe, so he'll never go too deep.

:lol: :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:24 pm

Lemmy Lemmy:
Tricks Tricks:
So when the teacher is saying how important they are, they're like the Jesus of raising children. Until something fucks up, then it's the parents fault? Which is it? Is a teacher a major influence on a child's life or not? Can't have it both ways there chief.

I made no claims about the size of influence made on a child's life by a teacher. I would suggest that, for most of us, of the many teachers we've had, there were likely a couple that made a significant influence. I would say that only in very rare circumstances (such as described by Shep above) would a single teacher have an impact any where near on par with the impact made on a child by a parent. I'm still not getting what you're disagreeing with me about. :?

You just understand. Nobody is saying teachers are better than parents, or teachers do something for the child that parents dont. That's not even an adult discussion. What I'm saying is (and I think Brenda got it) a teacher is somebody who spends alot of time with your child - if not more than you, then more than just about anyone else, and probably a close second. That person can either have a positive effect, or they can have negative effect...in the worst case, they can permanently damage your child (e.g. molestation).

Tricks, even in your example of a teacher who does nothing to protect or comfort a child in need, that teacher by their inaction is shaping how that child understands the world, their sense of justice, trust, etc.

My whole point is that a the quality of the teaching profession has a profound impact on the outcome of the child. You seem to think a teacher is just a glorified babysitter and can be just anyone who walks in off the street, as long as they are capable of reciting some facts from a book, keeping them out of trouble and hopefully doenst diddle any of them and therefore the job should pay less.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:38 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
Lemmy Lemmy:
Tricks Tricks:
So when the teacher is saying how important they are, they're like the Jesus of raising children. Until something fucks up, then it's the parents fault? Which is it? Is a teacher a major influence on a child's life or not? Can't have it both ways there chief.

I made no claims about the size of influence made on a child's life by a teacher. I would suggest that, for most of us, of the many teachers we've had, there were likely a couple that made a significant influence. I would say that only in very rare circumstances (such as described by Shep above) would a single teacher have an impact any where near on par with the impact made on a child by a parent. I'm still not getting what you're disagreeing with me about. :?

You seem to think a teacher is just a glorified babysitter and can be just anyone who walks in off the street, as long as they are capable of reciting some facts from a book, keeping them out of trouble and hopefully doenst diddle any of them and therefore the job should pay less.

Huh. He said that, eh?

Mind pointing it out or did someone tickle your hyperbole bone?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:19 pm

see his earlier posts, re: teachers should make less than nurses, cops, firefighters, etc.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:26 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
see his earlier posts, re: teachers should make less than nurses, cops, firefighters, etc.

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
You seem to think a teacher is just a glorified babysitter and can be just anyone who walks in off the street, as long as they are capable of reciting some facts from a book, keeping them out of trouble and hopefully doenst diddle any of them and therefore the job should pay less.

So advocating that they make less than a nurse, cop, firefighter equates to him accusing them of being a glorified babysitter and that anyone off the street can do it as long as they can recite some facts from a book?

That wasn't a tickle of the hyperbole bone, someone took a bat to it. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:31 pm

Babysitters make minimum wage... That's a FAR stretch from $80k/yr...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:33 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
That wasn't a tickle of the hyperbole bone, someone took a bat to it. :roll:

But when he says I'm equating teachers with Jesus, that's not hyperbole?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 10  11  12  13  14  15  16  Next