Author Topic Options

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:06 pm

[QUOTE BY= dbaker] <br /> I was informed that Newfoundland was the only province to support Quebec in the Referendum.<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> They thought they would be 1 1/2 hours closer to Toronto.<br /> <br /> Dennis Baker[/QUOTE]<br /> <br /> It's tasteless jokes like that that make Newfoundlanders (and, to a lesser extent, Labradorians) feel left out of Confederation and think about separation. We need to avoid the possibility of another province toying with that idea, especially one right next to Quebec so that if an interprovincial dispute broke out (a la Grand Falls), the federal government wouldn't have to choose which separatists to appease and which to infuriate.<br /> <br /> What I really find interesting about the whole Newfoundland nationalist movement is its similarity to Ostalgie, a nationalist movement in East Germany. Both movements remember the "good ol' days" of independence. Neither is seriously backed by any major political party. Both tend to emphasize culture and nastalgia, and how they are different from that of the more economically successful areas found west of both these regions.<br /> <br /> Well, Danny's put the flags back up, now people can focus on the real issues at least.<br />

"But I want to remind you: that you can lock up a mouse or a man but you can't lock up an idea." - Tommy Douglas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:30 pm

<br /> Dude I got that Joke from a Newf.<br /> <br /> I have had an known more Newfoundlanders than you in all likly hood. We were all called Eastern Creeps and Bumbs by Ralph klien at one time.<br /> <br /> In fact the best Newf jokes come the buy's, old dog.<br /> <br /> Dennis Baker