Title: U.S. mom angry after kids sunburned during field trip
Category: Health
Posted By: Strutz
Date: 2012-06-25 19:40:00

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:08 pm

Then get a fucking doctors note. Dumb fuck.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:25 pm

No way. Since when is sunblock a medication? I'd be pissed off too at the idiot who enforced this stupid rule and at the dumb-ass teachers who couldn't be bothered to notice that a couple of red-headed kids with pale skin were turning beet-red.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:32 pm

Our youngest is very fair and burns easily like me. I'd likely apply the lotion anyways and say 'fuck you....sue me' if I got any grief.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:28 am

Whilst I think it's pretty stupid to ban suncream from being used at school, I'm sure the mother could have at least put some on them before they left. Whoever came up with this policy needs to pull their head out of their ass.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:27 am

Newfy Newfy:
Whilst I think it's pretty stupid to ban suncream from being used at school, I'm sure the mother could have at least put some on them before they left. Whoever came up with this policy needs to pull their head out of their ass.

Did you read the story?
The sunscreen requires to be put on every 2 hours and it was overcast when the kids left.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:42 am

Brenda Brenda:
Newfy Newfy:

Did you read the story?
The sunscreen requires to be put on every 2 hours and it was overcast when the kids left.

Yes, I did read it and I'm not saying it was all her fault but the sun cream that we use for our kids doesn't have a set time scale on it. Also, I'm sure they must have a weather forecast that will tell what the weather is most likely to be like.

I think the policy needs to be looked at though. Over here the schools always send letters home to remind us to send a bottle of sun cream in with our kids to school in the summer. I'd also be interested to know what period of the day they were outside for, as common sense says you should stay inside during the hottest hours of the day. The school should have a lot to answer for!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:01 am

When my kids have a field day, they are outside ALL day, from 8:30 in the morning till 2:15 when school's out.
The sunscreen I (almost) bought last week had a "re-apply after 2 hours" label on it.

It is a ridiculous rule that has nothing to do with "allergies" (I think I read that somewhere in some comments), since teachers can apply sunscreen to themselves. They can't apply it to kids because... that would be "sexual harassment"? Just throwing something in there... NOT applying sunscreen was obviously negligence.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:16 am

Brenda Brenda:
... NOT applying sunscreen was obviously negligence.

Too right it was! If my children got badly sunburnt because I didn't make sure they had cream on then I could be charged with abuse, and our children are in the teachers care when they are at school so the same laws should apply to them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:54 am

That's weird, my daughter's daycare requested we provide sunscreen and bug spray so that when they go out on walks or to the park, the kids don't get a sunburn or harassed by bugs.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:14 am

My nephew’s school requires that we apply sunscreen before field trips.
Also, contrary to popular belief, you don’t need to reapply every 2 hours unless you’re washing the stuff off by swimming or wiping it away.

This story reeks of idiocy on all sides.
- The mom has a child that is semi ALBINO and didn’t bother to realize the sun may be an issue, even if it was raining in the morning. My nephew needs meds too so he has a doctor’s note to make sure he gets them at school. She KNEW her kids had sun issues and did nothing. She can't buy a friggen hat?
- The school is setting another stupid policy to appease a tiny sub section of kids with allergies (like peanut butter) at the expense of 99% of the population. I guess it is sort of no win for them though cause the second some kid gets an allergic reaction to the kid with sunscreen that mom would sue.
- How many of you have been sun burned at school as children? I’m betting 100% of you. No one complained or sued cause it’s just something that happens. Suck it up and learn from it. Even that pic of the little kid didn’t look terrible, she was red but not blistering or anything.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:24 am

Interesting. The article has been removed from the site.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:27 am

Prof_Chomsky Prof_Chomsky:
Also, contrary to popular belief, you don’t need to reapply every 2 hours unless you’re washing the stuff off by swimming or wiping it away.

- The mom has a child that is semi ALBINO and didn’t bother to realize the sun may be an issue, even if it was raining in the morning. My nephew needs meds too so he has a doctor’s note to make sure he gets them at school. She KNEW her kids had sun issues and did nothing. She can't buy a friggen hat?

Hats, like sunscreen, were also not permitted by the school.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:37 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Hats, like sunscreen, were also not permitted by the school.

So are inhalers for asthma. Insulin for diabetes. EpiPens for bee stings. But every single parent who knows their child has a medical issue like that ensures their kid has the proper medically necessities with them at school by providing a Dr note or doing what is necessary according to school policy. This mom doesn't get a free pass. She knows her kid has a form of albinism.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:38 am

Prof_Chomsky Prof_Chomsky:

- The school is setting another stupid policy to appease a tiny sub section of kids with allergies (like peanut butter) at the expense of 99% of the population. I guess it is sort of no win for them though cause the second some kid gets an allergic reaction to the kid with sunscreen that mom would sue.
- How many of you have been sun burned at school as children? I’m betting 100% of you. No one complained or sued cause it’s just something that happens. Suck it up and learn from it. Even that pic of the little kid didn’t look terrible, she was red but not blistering or anything.

This was the FIRST field trip for the kids EVER. How should she know what is "normal"?