canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:08 am

Title: Don't want police searching your phone without a warrant? Get a password, court says
Category: Law & Order
Posted By: Strutz
Date: 2013-02-21 08:54:04
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:08 am

I'm glad there is at least a decision on this. I always password protect everything, but my only defense would have been "I can't remember".

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:14 am

My defense is not having a phone.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:06 pm

A link at the story tells a tale of the heroes at our Transportation Security Administration abusing a little girl in a wheelchair.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.1165702

PDT_Armataz_01_35

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:25 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
A link at the story tells a tale of the heroes at our Transportation Security Administration abusing a little girl in a wheelchair.

PDT_Armataz_01_35

That kind of story is why I dread ever having to enter the US through customs.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:28 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:

PDT_Armataz_01_35

That kind of story is why I dread ever having to enter the US through customs.

Funny, if you're a Mexican (or a terrorist who looks like one) you can walk across our southern border almost totally unmolested these days. But if you're a paying tourist you can count on being treated as if you were a terrorist or an illegal alien.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:42 pm

My BB has always been PW protected and I have no choice in the matter. It auto locks after 30 minutes of inactivity, which at one point was after only 5 minutes before IT cut us some slack. Doubt this ruling would help when crossing the border though. They have a policy that you need to give them access or they detain you for as long as they like.
Oddly this topic came up at hockey a few weeks ago. One of the guys deletes everything off his phone when he crosses because of previous problems. They went through his phone at the border and got all pissy about a stupid text he got from a friend. He showed me how and you only need to push and hold a couple of buttons on the BB and a new delete message comes up. Wipes it clean out, although it would not wipe out anything that is backed up to a server. There's also a similar way to do it on an iPhone.
Myself.........can't be bothered.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Wasn't there a story about a Vancouver actor on his way to LA that was told to give his FB and phone password?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:53 pm

Brenda Brenda:
Wasn't there a story about a Vancouver actor on his way to LA that was told to give his FB and phone password?

Yep, and he ended up being banned from the USA for five years, too.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:55 pm

Regina Regina:
My BB has always been PW protected and I have no choice in the matter. It auto locks after 30 minutes of inactivity, which at one point was after only 5 minutes before IT cut us some slack. Doubt this ruling would help when crossing the border though. They have a policy that you need to give them access or they detain you for as long as they like.
Oddly this topic came up at hockey a few weeks ago. One of the guys deletes everything off his phone when he crosses because of previous problems. They went through his phone at the border and got all pissy about a stupid text he got from a friend. He showed me how and you only need to push and hold a couple of buttons on the BB and a new delete message comes up. Wipes it clean out, although it would not wipe out anything that is backed up to a server. There's also a similar way to do it on an iPhone.
Myself.........can't be bothered.

A couple of easy solutions to the problem:

1. Leave your smart phone at home when you travel and just bring along a cheap, pre-paid phone for emergency calls.

2. FedEx your smartphone to your destination and skip the violation of your rights at the border.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:55 pm

I just stay away from Piers Morgan and hope for the best.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:57 pm

DanSC DanSC:

I'd so like to run into Piers Morgan...with a bus. :twisted:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:02 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
DanSC DanSC:

I'd so like to run into Piers Morgan...with a bus. :twisted:

I think you'd be awarded a KBE by the Queen if you did that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:17 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
but my only defense would have been "I can't remember".

raydan raydan:
My defense is not having a phone.

Mine is having done nothing wrong. [B-o]

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:26 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:

A couple of easy solutions to the problem:

1. Leave your smart phone at home when you travel and just bring along a cheap, pre-paid phone for emergency calls.

2. FedEx your smartphone to your destination and skip the violation of your rights at the border.

Way too much bother for me and would also defeat the purpose of having a phone. Besides mine is a work BB and although I take care of the company property, I could care less what happens to it. I don't even have to back it up anymore. When I get a new one all I do it switch the Sim card, SD card and plug it into my laptop. All my contact profiles texts, emails, ring tones and wallpaper reappear after I hit the Syn option.