Category: Military
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2013-02-27 18:16:42
Canadian

Forum Junkie
Forum Junkie

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:27 am

If the government decides to choose the Super Hornet I wonder how many they will purchace.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:13 am

I'd like to think we'd get more (say 80-90), but in this age of shaky economic times and deficits, I wouldn't hold my breath.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:20 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
I'd like to think we'd get more (say 80-90), but in this age of shaky economic times and deficits, I wouldn't hold my breath.

With all of that in mind then maybe now is the best time to cut a deal with Boeing?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:20 am

The problem for Canada is that the knobs at DOD will take the base $55 million Super Bug and turn it into a $75 million Super Bug with all the additions and deletions required for Canadian "kit". Who knew slapping all those bilingual stickers all over an airplane would end up adding so much to the cost? 8O

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:58 am

As this issue drags on, I'm leaning more and more toward Super Hornets.

It looks like a great aircraft, suited to our needs, proven design, a whole lot cheaper to buy and operate, and probably operational a lot sooner than F-35's.

If we could buy more of them that would be a plus too. Sixty to sixty-five front line fighters is not much. 90 to 100 would be better.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:42 am

Jonny_C Jonny_C:

It looks like a great aircraft, suited to our needs, proven design, a whole lot cheaper to buy and operate, and probably operational a lot sooner than F-35's.

If we could buy more of them that would be a plus too. Sixty to sixty-five front line fighters is not much. 90 to 100 would be better.

That might be possible if the government waas running a surplus, but odds are, the deal will stay as it is and the government will 'pocket' the savings to spend elsewhere.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:54 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
That might be possible if the government waas running a surplus, but odds are, the deal will stay as it is and the government will 'pocket' the savings to spend elsewhere.

"Government" and "savings"... two words that make me smile every time I see them used in the same sentence.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:25 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:

Very likely. A fully-capable Arctic icebreaker perhaps? One could always hope.

raydan raydan:
"Government" and "savings"... two words that make me smile every time I see them used in the same sentence.

"Re-allocated unused political capital" then. :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanos Thanos:
The problem for Canada is that the knobs at DOD will take the base $55 million Super Bug and turn it into a $75 million Super Bug with all the additions and deletions required for Canadian "kit". Who knew slapping all those bilingual stickers all over an airplane would end up adding so much to the cost? 8O

Don't forget the cost of changing "DOD" to "DND" :)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 pm

D'oh..... :oops:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:20 pm

raydan raydan:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Well, as I said, they would just spend it elsewhere, hence no real savings... :wink:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:24 pm

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
bootlegga bootlegga:

Very likely. A fully-capable Arctic icebreaker perhaps? One could always hope.

We already have two heavy icebreakers (CGS Terry Fox and CGS Louis St.Laurent), with one more coming on stream in 2017 - CGS Diefenbaker.

Unfortunately, CGS Diefenbaker is to replace the CGS Louis St.Laurent, so we'll still only have two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equipment_ ... oast_Guard

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:31 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
Jonny_C Jonny_C:

Likely on the woefully under budgeted ship building program

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:33 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
Unfortunately, CGS Diefenbaker is to replace the CGS Louis St.Laurent, so we'll still only have two.

For the vast amount of Arctic we have, that seems woefully inadequate.