canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Jonny_C Jonny_C:
It looks like a great aircraft, suited to our needs, proven design, a whole lot cheaper to buy and operate, and probably operational a lot sooner than F-35's.

None of which is better in combat.

I wouldn't want to send our pilots into combat in anything but the best we can get.

The projected cost over the life of the fleet works out to about $30 per Canadian per year.

I have $30 dollars a year for the next 42 years for what is very likely going to be one of the best jets in the world.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Tampa Bay Lightning

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Ok a ?, I can see where the RCN might not want to patrol the Arctic with Ice Breaking mission. Ice Breaking Missions belong to a Coast Guard, not the Navy as the Navy has better things to do. The USCG deploys there Breakers and they are armed and have a Det of LE's aboard for boarding parties. Many of the World's Coast Guards model on the USCG. So why isn't the CCG doing this is my question. Also if the Navy needs Ice breakers the USCG is on call to respond fast. Also our AVDET's can arm up and go out and fissure the Ice to break till a breaker arrives.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:43 pm

Xort Xort:
Jonny_C Jonny_C:
It looks like a great aircraft, suited to our needs, proven design, a whole lot cheaper to buy and operate, and probably operational a lot sooner than F-35's.

None of which is better in combat.

I refer you to the bolded part.

I'm no expert, but as far as I can tell from things I've read, the only thing that the F-35 has going for it in any greater measure than a Super Hornet is greater stealth. IIRC the Super Hornet is more maneuverable, more robust, has a greater payload and range, and is a twin-engine design. In addition, I doubt whether its electronics array would take a back seat to the F-35.

But what do I know. I think my '91 Jeep Cherokee is a great piece of equipment. 8)

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Ottawa Senators
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:57 pm

Vamp018 Vamp018:
The USCG deploys there Breakers and they are armed and have a Det of LE's aboard for boarding parties. Many of the World's Coast Guards model on the USCG. So why isn't the CCG doing this is my question.

Makes too much sense, that and word has it the CCG thinks guns are icky.

They'd rather play with Nav buoys.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 Tampa Bay Lightning

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Well going back to this debate.
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articl ... se-382922/
I believe Canada should re open the contract bidding and bring in Boeing and Euro-fighter. I mention Euro-fighter as it is twin engine and easier for CF18 crews to cross train over to and also the Euro-fighter is proven in the Arctic versus the unproven Rafale rubbish. Jury is out on the Gripon. I did today get to chat with my US senator about Canada and the Fighters. He shares my same view the US should at all times offer Canada at a discount over other allies Super Hornets and if they didn't close down the F22 lines Canada would be the only one to trust. Also the US hates it's decals in Duel Language. That was the Senators personal shot at Quebec. At further length we also agreed we should assist Canada with getting C27J's and in exchange get some Viking Twin Otters for the USCG and USAF and USMC. RCAF 440Sq has proven to utilize the CC138 to many missions and roles. I can personally concur with that report as I served the Vampires for 6 years. They are indeed Canada's Elite in the Arctic Operations Region. In closing we in the US need to help Canada out as our long time neighbor and brother's in Arms here in N.America. We need a strong Canada and a Sovereign Canada most important, not a fractured or Common Wealth, but a true and free breathing United Canada. Remember Canada was united strong during 9/11 to help the US and we as citizens here in the US will not forget Canada for all the help. We must be there for you and Canada when the need arises, which I hope never does. [B-o] to the US and Canada, the two best Free Nations in the World.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:55 am

saturn_656 saturn_656:
Vamp018 Vamp018:
The USCG deploys there Breakers and they are armed and have a Det of LE's aboard for boarding parties. Many of the World's Coast Guards model on the USCG. So why isn't the CCG doing this is my question.

Makes too much sense, that and word has it the CCG thinks guns are icky.

They'd rather play with Nav buoys.

In fairness to the CCG, they are a civilian agency and not authorized to use heavy weapons. If you want to blame anyone, blame Diefenbaker - his government set them up that way.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:19 am

Good post, Vamp. R=UP