Posted By: commanderkai
Date: 2013-05-27 15:36:30
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:42 pm

Question for the scientifically minded: Wouldn't it be safer to dump nuclear waste in a very solid mountain, instead of right next to Lake Huron? The Americans proposed a site near Yucca Mountain, which seems much less likely to have some accident that might contaminate something serious.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:53 pm

commanderkai commanderkai:
Question for the scientifically minded: Wouldn't it be safer to dump nuclear waste in a very solid mountain, instead of right next to Lake Huron? The Americans proposed a site near Yucca Mountain, which seems much less likely to have some accident that might contaminate something serious.

Yes, it would be. But most opponents to waste dumps always ask "is there zero risk that the site will ever be disturbed?" and the answer always has to be 'no'. There are few guarantees in life. There are fewer when looking 100,000 years into the future.

The safest ways to handle the waste would either be to reprocess it in breeder reactors (similar to the one that makes medical isotopes in Canada) or to not produce the waste to begin with and require new reactors use Thorium instead of Uranium.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm not a geo type, but I believe the factor at play is geological stability--you don't want an earthquake releasing your stored nuclear waste. And the Canadian Shield is extremely geologically stable.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:13 pm

$1:
it would contain low-level waste, such as protective clothing worn by workers or mops and towels used to wipe up spills of contaminated water.

*yawn* Wake me when it's something serious.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:47 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
The safest ways to handle the waste would either be to reprocess it in breeder reactors (similar to the one that makes medical isotopes in Canada) or to not produce the waste to begin with and require new reactors use Thorium instead of Uranium.

I'm a huge supporter of breeder reactors. That being said, you'd think if they're going to create an installation like this, it'd be far away from any possible water sources, or areas where it might seep into the ground.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:30 pm

This isn't spent nuclear fuel, it's protective clothing, mops, towels and the like.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:55 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I'm a huge supporter of breeder reactors. That being said, you'd think if they're going to create an installation like this, it'd be far away from any possible water sources, or areas where it might seep into the ground.

When the un(der)educated come into the picture, they oppose them being built basically anywhere, governments will build them where ever they can get away with it because the many of the good and smart choices meet too much hostility.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:01 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
When the un(der)educated come into the picture, they oppose them being built basically anywhere, governments will build them where ever they can get away with it because the many of the good and smart choices meet too much hostility.

True enough. It's a disgrace how nuclear power, quite possibly the best short term solution to our energy needs until we invent fusion or space based solar collectors, is tarnished because of environmental groups trying to make it as scary as possible.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:18 pm

I agree with you that nuclear is our best short-term energy option (and maybe long-term as well). But let's not kid ourselves. Nuclear energy is scary and dangerous. I want those who are tasked with designing everything about nuclear energy to treat it as scary and dangerous. I want Canadians to demand that every aspect of our nuclear power system be as closely scrutinized for safety as possible. Fear is a good thing sometimes. Fear breeds caution.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Did anyone bother to read the article? :roll:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:49 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:

Yeah, I did. They want to bury nuclear waste in a site 1.6 km away from Lake Huron, so deep underground that it'll be 1.3 km away from the actual body of water once underground.

Although I'm not opposed, aren't there better sites that can be used? Something more inland, away from such a major body of water? That's why I brought up Yucca Mountain site in Nevada, which makes sense, considering it's bumfuck nowhere, USA.

Lemmy Lemmy:
I agree with you that nuclear is our best short-term energy option (and maybe long-term as well). But let's not kid ourselves. Nuclear energy is scary and dangerous. I want those who are tasked with designing everything about nuclear energy to treat it as scary and dangerous. I want Canadians to demand that every aspect of our nuclear power system be as closely scrutinized for safety as possible. Fear is a good thing sometimes. Fear breeds caution.

Of course it's good to be wary and cautious with how dangerous nuclear power generation can be, and I would be wholly opposed to cutting corners in the development of nuclear power facilities. Nuclear energy, like any potentially dangerous object (a gun, a car, powerful medications, etc) should be treated with respect and with care.

That being said, the NIMBYism and fear of nuclear energy is far beyond what I deem reasonable.

Last edited by commanderkai on Mon May 27, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:54 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:

Yeah, I did. They want to bury nuclear waste in a site 1.6 km away from Lake Huron, so deep underground that it'll be 1.3 km away from the actual body of water once underground.

Did you miss the part where they were talking about it being for used protective clothing, mops, towels and stuff like that, that was used to clean up small spills?
NOT spent fuel rods.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:58 pm

Of course it's good to be wary and cautious with how dangerous nuclear power generation can be, and I would be wholly opposed to cutting corners in the development of nuclear power facilities. Nuclear energy, like any potentially dangerous object (a gun, a car, powerful medications, etc) should be treated with respect and with care.

That being said, the NIMBYism and fear of nuclear energy is far beyond what I deem reasonable.

Nahhh, you just saw an opportunity for an irrelevant drive-by swipe at environmentalists. It was typically conservative of you.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:32 pm

jeff744 jeff744:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Most new designs require there be sufficient on-site storage for the waste. I guess they are pessimistic that the waste will ever be allowed to leave the site (due to the NIMBY folks). Which is absurd to me. How can it possible be safer than locked away in a mountain, or turned back into usable fuel? :?: