bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:17 am

Regina Regina:
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority released a map with the Ocean Shield's towed pinger locator detections. Between the 1st and 3rd contact is nearly 30kms with the 4th being only about 10kms away from the 3rd. I think their detection equipment is much better than they are publically saying. 8O

That has to be so. The chances against their just "stumbling" on the pings is astronomically against them. That is one big, friggin' piece of ocean.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:14 pm

But it is only few kms off one of the calculated "Satellite Handshake" routes.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:05 pm

Unconfirmed reports say MH370 black box found

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asia/s ... d-20140411

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:18 pm

This is very promising for the recovery of the plane. I am more interested for the recovery of the cell phones of the passengers though. It's still my belief that this was done by the pilot and if that is the case, the passengers would have had hours to document their last moments. I know if it was me I would have definitely wanted to leave a written and video goodbye to my loved ones.

I believe the data from any video recordings should be recoverable and I also think at some point the passengers of the flight would have known that something had gone terribly wrong.

For all it's mystery, this could ironically end up being the most highly documented plane crash in history.

Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:33 pm

Their plane crashed. Navy found the parts of plain in the see. This mystery can be understood if they find the black box of the plane. :(

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:37 pm

jayden jayden:
Their plane crashed. Navy found the parts of plain in the see. This mystery can be understood if they find the black box of the plane. :(
To date, they have not recovered anything that they can definitively say came from the plane. Do you have a link to an article where these parts were found?

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:17 am

Delwin Delwin:
This is very promising for the recovery of the plane. I am more interested for the recovery of the cell phones of the passengers though. It's still my belief that this was done by the pilot and if that is the case, the passengers would have had hours to document their last moments. I know if it was me I would have definitely wanted to leave a written and video goodbye to my loved ones.

I believe the data from any video recordings should be recoverable and I also think at some point the passengers of the flight would have known that something had gone terribly wrong.

For all it's mystery, this could ironically end up being the most highly documented plane crash in history.

Since cell phones don't work about a minute after take off, why would they be of any use?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:30 am

Regina Regina:
Delwin Delwin:

Since cell phones don't work about a minute after take off, why would they be of any use?

You could still take photos, record videos, edit documents locally.

Of course, a month in salt water 4km down would make the electronics a bit . . .flaky.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:41 am

If they knew what was going on maybe, but it was night and they would have no navigational aids to help them determine they were off course or in trouble. I think they were all dead by the time they made the last turn due south.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:44 am

Regina Regina:
If they knew what was going on maybe, but it was night and they would have no navigational aids to help them determine they were off course or in trouble. I think they were all dead by the time they made the last turn due south.

Many smart phones have built in compass and GPS apps, but yea. I still go by the electrical fire theory, and that means the crew and passengers died long before they crashed.

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:28 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Regina Regina:

Many smart phones have built in compass and GPS apps, but yea. I still go by the electrical fire theory, and that means the crew and passengers died long before they crashed.

If I couldn't get a signal with my BlackBerry I couldn't get a GPS reading. Last summer my brother thought his iPhone would navigate him through Saskatchewan.........nope. :lol: Added about 2.5 hours to his trip and couldn't call anyone to let them know where he was.
I'm going with the pilot, co-pilot or both committed suicide using the aircraft and that the passengers and crew at some point fairly early in the detour were altitude asphyxiated. Autopilot flew it straight and level till it hit the ocean.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:37 am

Regina Regina:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Regina Regina:

If I couldn't get a signal with my BlackBerry I couldn't get a GPS reading. Last summer my brother thought his iPhone would navigate him through Saskatchewan.........nope. :lol: Added about 2.5 hours to his trip and couldn't call anyone to let them know where he was.

I can turn data off on my BB, and I won't get GPS but the compass still works.

0:
BB-10-compass - Copy.png
BB-10-compass - Copy.png [ 80.59 KiB | Viewed 307 times ]

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:57 am

Hey that's my compass too!! Never tested it without a signal so didn't comment on that part. I would think it would work fine but not sure how well with all the metal and electronics there is in an aircraft. I still think without visual reference they would think everything was fine. Although a sharper than normal turn may alert a few, but this was well thought out and executed so my feeling is that the passengers and crew were "made unaware".

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:23 am

The principal speculative theories I'm coming across in my circles are (in order of likelyhood):

1. The pilot did this deliberately for an as yet unknown reason. The radical course corrections and altitude changes the plane made and the fact that the course of the plane managed to avoid landfall in an area where it would be desired if there was an electrical fire indicate deliberate action.

2. Someone else took control of the plane for as yet unknown reasons.

3. On the extreme of possibilities but with the facts so far allowing for the possibility: Someone took over the plane by remote control and the radical course and altitude corrections are indicative of lag between the controller and the aircraft. The disposal of the plane in the Indian Ocean (as opposed to using it for a mission of some sort) is beacuse this was a test run of a capability and the disposal of the plane in the IO is to help hide that capability.

Absent any other info I'm going with #1 for now.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:55 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
3. On the extreme of possibilities but with the facts so far allowing for the possibility: Someone took over the plane by remote control and the radical course and altitude corrections are indicative of lag between the controller and the aircraft. The disposal of the plane in the Indian Ocean (as opposed to using it for a mission of some sort) is beacuse this was a test run of a capability and the disposal of the plane in the IO is to help hide that capability.

Those are the kind of things that drive me mental. Planes can't be remote controlled.

But there are certain personality types who will believe this theory by default because it suits their bias. And further down the rabbit hole they go.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  Next