CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:27 am

In realted news:

Tsilhqot'in First Nation granted B.C. title claim in Supreme Court ruling

Significantly:

$1:
However, the court declared that title is not absolute, meaning economic development can still proceed on land where title is established as long as one of two conditions is met:
■Economic development on land where title is established has the consent of the First Nation.
■Failing that, the government must make the case that development is pressing and substantial, and meet its fiduciary duty to the aboriginal group.

This gives the first nations who have title a virtual veto over use of their land.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:40 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Then give it back.

. . .to the Clovis people.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:11 pm

:lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:21 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
In realted news:

Tsilhqot'in First Nation granted B.C. title claim in Supreme Court ruling

Significantly:

$1:
However, the court declared that title is not absolute, meaning economic development can still proceed on land where title is established as long as one of two conditions is met:
■Economic development on land where title is established has the consent of the First Nation.
■Failing that, the government must make the case that development is pressing and substantial, and meet its fiduciary duty to the aboriginal group.

This gives the first nations who have title a virtual veto over use of their land.

Yep. Might be a double edged sword that drives away development in the end.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Then give it back.

Actually, I'm now waiting for the next band to step in with a land claim of previous occupation. See how that one plays out.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:22 pm

"Symbolic"? Sure. :roll:

What the natives will now expect:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:28 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:

Could be. I'm hoping it provides the impetus for a modern day treaty with the Chilcotin.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:04 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Then give it back.

Actually, I'm now waiting for the next band to step in with a land claim of previous occupation. See how that one plays out.

I'm waiting for everyone to realize that this argument is circular and will never end until people decide to end it. Then we can get on with what needs to be done.

The first people, who may have been European, got supplanted by the Clovis people; who got replaced by the "First Nations", and the Siberian Thule who probably wiped out the Dorset people and tossed out the Vikings; all of whom were tossed aside by European settlers.

'Who was first' is mostly irrelevant to 'who is here now' and 'what needs to be done for our future'.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:12 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I'm waiting for everyone to realize that this argument is circular and will never end until people decide to end it. Then we can get on with what needs to be done.

The first people, who may have been European, got supplanted by the Clovis people; who got replaced by the "First Nations", and the Siberian Thule who probably wiped out the Dorset people and tossed out the Vikings; all of whom were tossed aside by European settlers.

'Who was first' is mostly irrelevant to 'who is here now' and 'what needs to be done for our future'.

I ebelive one wag at another site put it: "Fighting over who owns the land is like fleas fighting over who owns the dog."

The first and foremost rule in the minds of everyone should be: "We are both here. Neither European (and other) settlers or the First Nations peoples are going anywhere."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:05 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Gunnair Gunnair:

Could be. I'm hoping it provides the impetus for a modern day treaty with the Chilcotin.

AFAIK, this isn't just about the Chilcotin, but all of BC. This could get very very serious. Time for a constitutional amendment.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:20 pm

andyt andyt:
Zipperfish Zipperfish:
Gunnair Gunnair:

AFAIK, this isn't just about the Chilcotin, but all of BC. This could get very very serious. Time for a constitutional amendment.

Yeah, that was my take as well. I would imagine the BC government is losing its shit right now. At least that'll save the province the lawyers fees in land claims since it seems the Feds want to step in.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:25 pm

OnTheIce OnTheIce:
"Symbolic"? Sure. :roll:

What the natives will now expect:

The thing is they always expect that and eventually the Government caves in, Fuck 7 Billion a year let's give them more. :roll:

Site Admin
Site Admin
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:00 pm

Right or wrong.....this is going to be bad for any kind of economic development. This will be like paying off the Mafia.