Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:36 pm

It should be the governor general, since in effect s/he already is our head of state. Change the name, of course, since that's anachronistic too. Many countries use president.

While I certainly enjoy discussing all this, I don't give much of a shit. Any changes would cause so much fuss, it probably isn't worth it. Maybe just let it evolve naturally. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:58 pm

What a waste of time over if you must say some magic words or not.

Good thing witchcraft is still against the law; At least we are protected by the law from people conjuring the devil.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:00 pm

andyt andyt:
It should be the governor general, since in effect s/he already is our head of state. Change the name, of course, since that's anachronistic too. Many countries use president.

While I certainly enjoy discussing all this, I don't give much of a shit. Any changes would cause so much fuss, it probably isn't worth it. Maybe just let it evolve naturally. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I thought governor general and lieutenant governor were rather ridiculous labels, even as a kid learning about them. President doesn't seem quite right either. I think a term that reflects the governor general's role as the keeper of the power of the crown would be fitting.

Really like your last statement there.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:05 pm

I'm OK with the oath of allegiance to Queen, but it ain't the same since Freddy died. :(

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:07 pm

"I see a little silouetta of a man ..."

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:11 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Public_Domain Public_Domain:
Glad I was born here, because FUCK THE OATH!

Don't like the current one? Maybe this one would be more to your liking?

Maybe I don't like oaths period unless I'm making my own. Oaths are meant to be declarations of absolute truth.

As for the artifacts in the museum: I am not smashing anything nor am I encouraging people smash anything. I am refusing to LIE during an OATH! I have absolutely no loyalty to the monarchy and I am glad I'm not being forced to lie and say that I do just to fucking live somewhere.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:15 pm

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
It should justify itself

Doesn't it though? You would think people should be loyal to the country they choose to call home. The Crown represents the country, and the Queen represents the crown.

Would you rather we swear to a government or party?
If I were to swear loyalty for Canada, it would be to Canadian land and my fellow Canadians.

Not her government, not her buildings, not her authority, not her bootheels.

Swear loyalty to Canada if you want to live in Canada, and I have no issues to gripe about.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:15 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Glad I was born here, because FUCK THE OATH!

Don't like the current one? Maybe this one would be more to your liking?

Oaths are meant to be declarations of absolute truth.

Loyalty to one's own home isn't absolute truth?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:17 pm

Loyalty to the queen = loyalty to your fellow countrymen?

19th century thinking here dude.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:20 pm

Gunnair Gunnair:
I don't need to do shit. The oath is a relic of a past many no longer support. It should justify itself, rather than other people having to justify why they think swearing loyalty to the 19th century is fucking stupid.

Kind of like the Indian Act?

Actually, the Queen represents Canada. Loyalty to Queen and loyalty to country are one and the same.

Also, it's very very nice living in a place where MOST people don't get upset when someone expresses an alternate opinion. I had enough ....... love it or leave it..... In my youth.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:21 pm

Canadian_Mind Canadian_Mind:
It should justify itself

Doesn't it though? You would think people should be loyal to the country they choose to call home. The Crown represents the country, and the Queen represents the crown.

Would you rather we swear to a government or party?
If I were to swear loyalty for Canada, it would be to Canadian land and my fellow Canadians.

Swear loyalty to Canada if you want to live in Canada, and I have no issues to gripe about.

The oath to the Queen is an oath to Canada. Might be 19th century thinking, but then so is communism...

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:22 pm

You're cruel.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:23 pm

Loyalty to the queen = loyalty to your fellow countrymen?

19th century thinking here dude.

Didn't you read my previous posts? The Queen represents the crown, and the crown represents the country. By swearing to here you are actually swearing to the crown and, in turn, Canada.

And just because it's 19th century thinking doesn't mean anything wrong with it. Should we also ditch internal combustion engines, heavy industry, and mechanised farming just because they came about from 19th century thinking?

Unsound Unsound:

The oath to the Queen is an oath to Canada. Might be 19th century thinking, but then so is communism...

Nice! [B-o]

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:26 pm

andyt andyt:
You're cruel.

That's your way of saying clever, right?

:D

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Unsound Unsound:

:lol:

I disagree. The Queen is not my fellow countryman, and I reject her as the symbol of this land and these people. I reject the system that granted her the privilege of being declared Canada's symbol, and I reject her authority, as well as the authority of those who demand people take oaths for crap.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 ... 10  Next