Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Dallas Stars

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:16 am

CDN_PATRIOT CDN_PATRIOT:
Sunnyways Sunnyways:
No former head of government should undertake a mission of this sort without talking to the PMO first. That's a reasonable rule in my opinion.

It's not a reasonable rule at all, it's sheer stupidity. What part of 'private citizen' don't you understand? Chretien did the same thing, and I had no problem with it, nor do I have a problem with Harper doing the same thing. If they want to keep busy as private citizens, who are we to interfere?

Are you trying to advocate new laws that prohibit private citizens from going about their lives, or is this just more talking from your rear end?

Give your head a shake.

-J.

Maybe Sunnyways is wanting some kind of travel ban imposed.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:40 am

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
We are involved in extremely difficult negotiations.

"We" are not involved in anything. The government is involved in the trade/NAFTA/tariff negotiations and so on. Unless you're a high-ranking member of Parliament and not telling us, "we" are watching from afar.

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
All I am asking for is some prudence from a former PM. Harper should have done the right and loyal thing and cleared with this with the government first to clarify the official line.

Once again, you have forgotten that he is a private citizen now. He doesn't need to ask the government every time he wants to go do something. That's not how the system works.

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
And please, referring to Chrétien does not excuse Harper's actions. This should apply to every PM. It's basic common sense.

Both of their actions are more than excusable because once again, they are PRIVATE CITIZENS. It sounds like you have a beef with people doing things autonomous of the government, or....your head is screwed on so tight, it's about the blow off with all the nonsense swirling around inside.

It might be a good idea to quit while you're 'ahead'.

-J.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:10 am

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
We are involved in extremely difficult negotiations - some of the most difficult ever. All I am asking for is some prudence from a former PM. Harper should have done the right and loyal thing and cleared with this with the government first to clarify the official line. It's not hard to understand how his visit could be misconstrued.

And please, referring to Chrétien does not excuse Harper's actions. This should apply to every PM. It's basic common sense.
So I'll ask you again. Was it proper for Trudeau to meet up with Obama when Obama was no longer President? Because he sure as hell didn't "clear it" with the White House.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:23 am

Harper is meeting the duly elected leader of an ally as a private Citizen unlike Chretien who as a private citizen seemed to prefer the dictator types for some reason but, the difference people are missing is that Harper likely won't come out and publicly attack the Trudeau Gov't policies while attending the meeting like Chretien did with his Gov't.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:34 am

Yeah, it's highly unlikely Harper will come out of it doing something truly awful the way Denis Coderre did with his attempt to undermine the Canadian effort in Afghanistan. Or the way that Jack Layton did with his rather disgusting gesturing towards having Canadian troops smeared as some kind of war criminals for shooting and killing the Taliban instead of playing nice with them. Harper probably doesn't have some devious plan in mind to boost Canadian conservatism with this trip the way the Liberals and the federal NDP were clearly trying to sabotage the previous Tory government.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:40 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
Sunnyways Sunnyways:
We are involved in extremely difficult negotiations - some of the most difficult ever. All I am asking for is some prudence from a former PM. Harper should have done the right and loyal thing and cleared with this with the government first to clarify the official line. It's not hard to understand how his visit could be misconstrued.

So I'll ask you again. Was it proper for Trudeau to meet up with Obama when Obama was no longer President? Because he sure as hell didn't "clear it" with the White House.

Take that up with the Americans.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Yeah, it's highly unlikely Harper will come out of it doing something truly awful the way Denis Coderre did with his attempt to undermine the Canadian effort in Afghanistan. Or the way that Jack Layton did with his rather disgusting gesturing towards having Canadian troops smeared as some kind of war criminals for shooting and killing the Taliban instead of playing nice with them. Harper probably doesn't have some devious plan in mind to boost Canadian conservatism with this trip the way the Liberals and the federal NDP were clearly trying to sabotage the previous Tory government.

Coderre is a never was. There is zero comparison there. I'm talking about a former PM taking it upon himself to talk to senior US officials in the midst of the most sensitive discussions we have had in a generation. What is he thinking?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:44 pm

Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Harper is meeting the duly elected leader of an ally as a private Citizen unlike Chretien who as a private citizen seemed to prefer the dictator types for some reason but, the difference people are missing is that Harper likely won't come out and publicly attack the Trudeau Gov't policies while attending the meeting like Chretien did with his Gov't.

So Kudlow and Bolton will meet me if I call? I'm a private citizen like Harper.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:54 pm

Harper isn't engaging in any sort of talks, official or otherwise. He's not meeting with Trump or Pence, he's meeting with a couple of underlings that Trump undermines on a daily basis with tweets. Neither of them, Kudlow or Bolton, are particularly important because Trump openly said he hired them because he like how they performed on TV. Kudlow's a globalist anarcho-capitalist who opposes trade wars and Bolton is a forever-war chickenhawk who didn't want Trump talking to North Korea. They're there in the White House to fill empty chairs and nothing more because when Trump has a whim that differs from their advice he ignores them completely.

There is no danger of Harper undermining the Trudeau government here. He's not meeting with anyone powerful enough to make a difference in Trump's war against us. When it's over all it will amount to is one sole Canadian conservative talking to some American right-wingers, and probably some of the few remaining non-insane conservatives in Congress, to see what the hell is going on and if there's any possibility of these conservatives being able to do anything to nudge Trump off of his hellbound road to economic disaster for both countries. Trump being Trump, that is a total malignant jackass doing this only to get attention, Harper's attempt is going to fail.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:24 am

Sunnyways Sunnyways:

Give it shot. You never know but, your chances might just be alot better if you joined the Friends of Israel Initiative. [B-o]

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:59 am

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
Is there a precedent on this, though?
Who cares????

Precendent-based governance is not a law of nature.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:19 am

Thanos Thanos:

Agreed. Never a big fan of Harper, but he's a statesman who actually understands the responsibility of power.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 New York Rangers
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:31 am

Hopefully, he may help to educate Mr. Trump on being a bit more Canadian friendly, That is certainly in order. He might come closer to coming to an understanding than PM Trudeau.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:27 pm

Sunnyways Sunnyways:

Give it shot. You never know but, your chances might just be alot better if you joined the Friends of Israel Initiative. [B-o]

Why would I have to do that?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:33 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Harper isn't engaging in any sort of talks, official or otherwise. He's not meeting with Trump or Pence, he's meeting with a couple of underlings that Trump undermines on a daily basis with tweets. Neither of them, Kudlow or Bolton, are particularly important because Trump openly said he hired them because he like how they performed on TV. Kudlow's a globalist anarcho-capitalist who opposes trade wars and Bolton is a forever-war chickenhawk who didn't want Trump talking to North Korea. They're there in the White House to fill empty chairs and nothing more because when Trump has a whim that differs from their advice he ignores them completely.

There is no danger of Harper undermining the Trudeau government here. He's not meeting with anyone powerful enough to make a difference in Trump's war against us. When it's over all it will amount to is one sole Canadian conservative talking to some American right-wingers, and probably some of the few remaining non-insane conservatives in Congress, to see what the hell is going on and if there's any possibility of these conservatives being able to do anything to nudge Trump off of his hellbound road to economic disaster for both countries. Trump being Trump, that is a total malignant jackass doing this only to get attention, Harper's attempt is going to fail.

I agree it’s probably not going to matter thaat but I still believe we should curb this trend. Harper is meeting the heads of the American NSA and NEC. That is serious talks. In no country would that be regarded as trivial, not even China. Why couldn’t he discuss that with the Canadian govt. beforehand? All he had to do was go in and disclose that.

Last edited by Sunnyways on Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.