Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:29 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Freakinoldguy Freakinoldguy:
Especially when he get's paid out like Omar Kahdr did because we violated his Charter rights by leaving him to rot in a Kurdish prison rather than repatriating him immediately.

The Government of Canada was actively engaged and fully aware of Kahdr's torture, but it has no obligation to repatriate someone who has never stepped foot in Canada.

There is a difference.
He's a Canadian citizen by dint of Canada being stupid and arbitrarily declaring someone to be a Canadian citizen just because one of their parents are. And I'm pretty sure Mr. Letts wasn't a Canadian diplomat in the UK so I have no idea why Jackoff would be considered a Canadian citizen.

Of course we could go the same direction as a couple of the more popular proggy countries in Europe are going. Making sure if these jihadis do come back, it's in a black bag.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:54 am

It sounds like the Brits pulled a fast one here on their ally. One thing I do know - he should not be the Kurds' problem.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:58 am

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
It sounds like the Brits pulled a fast one here on their ally. One thing I do know - he should not be the Kurds' problem.

Put him up against the wall, Kurds. Problem solved.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:52 am

$1:
it's in a black bag.

Only if he's shipped back COD. To his mom and dad.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:16 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Especially when he get's paid out like Omar Kahdr did because we violated his Charter rights by leaving him to rot in a Kurdish prison rather than repatriating him immediately.

The Government of Canada was actively engaged and fully aware of Kahdr's torture, but it has no obligation to repatriate someone who has never stepped foot in Canada.

There is a difference.

Not much of one.

The Canadian Gov't is fully aware of Jihadi Jacks detention at the hands of the Kurds who if his father is to be believed are much harsher on him than the Americans were on Omar. So, if we let him sit in a Kurdish prison without diplomatic interference by Canada including consular visits, investigations into the allegations of torture and fail to give him advocates to help with his case to be repatriated, we've technically failed our Charter obligations to a Canadian citizen. :roll:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... e-OCD.html

Remember, this isn't a case of where someone murdered someone in a foreign country and has been convicted. Jihadi Jack hasn't been found guilty of anything "yet" by either the Brits, the Kurds or Canada. So, given that fact, on what grounds can the Canadian Go't refuse to attempt to get him released and repatriate him? Because to do so is unfortunately, a direct violation of Canadian Law. Kahdr plead guilty of murder and look what we did for him. :evil:

I can see this one going all the way to the Supreme Court and because they have a precedence from the Kahdr case at some point we'll likely be instructed to repatriate him to Canada where we'll be sued by his lawyer for not acting in a timely fashion and denying him his charter rights.

Sound familiar.

Last edited by Freakinoldguy on Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:18 am

How do we request an "accident" befall him from the Kurdish Government? Is there a web portal? (Asking for a friend)

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:22 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

There is a difference.

Not much of one.

The Canadian Gov't is fully aware of Jihadi Jacks detention at the hands of the Kurds who if his father is to be believed are much harsher on him than the Americans were on Omar. So, if we let him sit in a Kurdish prison without diplomatic interference by Canada including consular visits, investigations into the allegations of torture and fail to give him advocates to help with his case to be repatriated, we've technically failed our Charter obligations to a Canadian citizen. :roll:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... e-OCD.html

Remember, this isn't a case of where someone murdered someone in a foreign country and has been convicted. Jihadi Jack hasn't been found guilty of anything "yet" by either the Brits, the Kurds or Canada so, for our go't to deny him his Charter Rights is unfortunately, a direct violation of Canadian Law. Kahdr was at least plead guilty of murder and look what we did for him. :evil:

I can see this one going to the Supreme Court again and because they have a precedence from the Kahdr case at some point we'll likely be instructed to repatriate him to Canada where we'll be sued by his lawyer for not acting in a timely fashion and denying him his charter rights.

Sound familiar.

So, again I ask, "How can you repatriate someone who has never been here?" ;)

I doubt any court would say Canada has an obligation to someone who only holds citizenship because of an accident of birth.

It sucks thought that Britain pulled a fast one on us. It's illegal to make someone stateless, and we had up till now to revoke his citizenship. Now we can't.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:29 am

Shitty move on Canada by UK. I would have supported Canada revoking citizenship instead and sticking the UK with him, on the basis that he was born and raised there and has never been to Canada. There should be a shared understanding of these things between supposed allies.

So far despite rhetoric from the Right, Canada has been very slow to repatriate ISIS fighters because we don’t have reliable evidence to try them in Canadian courts and collecting what evidence does exist might require cooperation with captors who have tortured the accused, making Canada complicit. Mostly we’ve been letting them rot where they are and Canada has mostly ignored this guy completely.

An International Criminal Court would be an ideal place to deal with these people, if only a certain North American superpower wasn’t actively undermining it.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:44 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

I doubt any court would say Canada has an obligation to someone who only holds citizenship because of an accident of birth.

It sucks thought that Britain pulled a fast one on us. It's illegal to make someone stateless, and we had up till now to revoke his citizenship. Now we can't.

Fair enough. So, instead of using the term repatriate, how about we use the term "bring home" to Canada. [B-o]

This is genuinely a case of "if you snooze you lose" and guess what. We were fast asleep at the switch.

But then again someone well placed in our gov't once said:

$1:
A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian. And you devalue the citizenship of every Canadian in this place and in this country when you break down and make it conditional for anyone.

So, this scumbag never having been in country is probably irrelevant to the law.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:14 pm

:

$1:
A Canadian is a Canadian is a Canadian. And you devalue the citizenship of every Canadian in this place and in this country when you break down and make it conditional for anyone.

So, this scumbag never having been in country is probably irrelevant to the law.

Yep that’s why up until now they’ve done nothing. They fundamentally don’t believe in stripping someone of citizenship. I get the academic point that If some people’s citizenship can be stripped away it’s not really citizenship, which should by definition be inherently irrevocable unless obtained fraudulently.

That said, I’d be open an exception that says anyone who is born and lives abroad, AND has citizenship in another country, has to establish residency in Canada for some minimum period after a certain age to keep their citizenship status.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:17 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:

Fair enough. So, instead of using the term repatriate, how about we use the term "bring home" to Canada. [B-o]

This is genuinely a case of "if you snooze you lose" and guess what. We were fast asleep at the switch.

But then again someone well placed in our gov't once said:

$1:

Again, to both of you. He was arbitrarily made a Canadian citizen simply because his daddy is Canadian. I'm pretty sure even a World Court would rule that we had to take him. We claimed him at birth.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:49 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
There is a difference.He's a Canadian citizen by dint of Canada being stupid and arbitrarily declaring someone to be a Canadian citizen just because one of their parents are. And I'm pretty sure Mr. Letts wasn't a Canadian diplomat in the UK so I have no idea why Jackoff would be considered a Canadian citizen.

Our stupid laws.
Any Canadian can pump out a kid anywhere in the world, and
can apply for citizenship for the kid.
Automatic passport.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:52 pm

llama66 llama66:
I also think this case is different that the Tale of Kahdr. We, allegedly, knew of, and participated in his "torture" in Gitmo. Ole Jack was not captured and tortured (probably) with Canadian intel or participation.

I reiterate my statement: Let him rot.

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Yup. Whether he did anything worthy of time in a Syrian jail, it's his choice to go to Syria.

Choices have consequences.

Nope.

Jihadi has a Canadian passport, and for now his only citizenship,
and that is the only part that matters.

Time in country, zero or lots, will mean nothing.
He is ours now.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:56 pm

“I’ve always felt that I am Canadian. My Dad is Canadian, and I never grew up being accepted as a British person anyway … I hope Canada does take me from here. I could go there, to prison, of course,” Letts said from his Kurdish prison, according to quotes provided to Reuters by ITV.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:58 pm

‘I don’t care, I wasn’t a British citizen anyway’: Jihadi Jack shrugs off moves to strip him of his UK passport as he admits he has ‘given up hope’ of ever seeing his parents again

Jack Letts, 24, fled his middle class life in Oxfordshire to fight in Syria in 2014
He's been begging to return after being captured and jailed by Kurdish forces
But claims he 'never felt British anyway' after his passport was stripped from him
Letts parents have slammed 'cowardly' decision to take away his UK citizenship