bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:56 pm

FieryVulpine FieryVulpine:
fifeboy fifeboy:
Who is speaking of Americans? Anyone here sneering??? All I'm saying is that Alberta needs to find another way that doesn't involve allowing the Saudi, big oil and the boogie man dictate their lives. The fairy tale is that 'everyone' is out to get you..... because...because Trudeau. What did the previous administration do?

If EVERYONE in Alberta is against the current equalization formula they shouldn't have supported Stevo for so long. But... but...TRUDEAU! All that cash would have gone to Encana and helped them pay for their move south. (NOTE...THIS IS THE ONLY 'AMERICAN' REFERENCE IN THIS POST... no sneering)

Look, I am sorry that people such yourself and Beave subscribe to the paranoid views of the dominance of the oil companies and the "specter" of Stephen to the point of delusion. It is equally unfortunate that this hollow shell of a nation is ultimately held back by a largely insular Central Canada and a backwater West Coast. Little wonder that the Americans benefit from the endless stupidity of these two regions. :lol:

And here I thought the 'specter' was PET and his son. That is all we have heard about. And what do you consider 'held back' to be? I believe that even the Americans got more in royalties from the oil and gas industry than our two provinces do (or did.) whose fault would that be? Who quit putting money into Peter Lockheed's heritage fund? Was it the 'backwater West Coast' or was it the 'insular Central Canada?' Just wondering?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:49 am

Thanos Thanos:
^100% wrong

1) imagine the economic diversity we could have built in this province over the last forty years if $15 to 20 billion per year weren't being taken from us and given to those who despise us

2) another major drilling rig company is sending all their units to the US this year, in another confirmation that there's no business sense in working here anymore

Imagine the economic diversity if Oil companies, that another poster pointed out, decided to shift focus from petroleum to geothermal energy!

https://business.financialpost.com/comm ... ch-alberta

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5324756

Imagine if the UCP had not killed the NDP plan to reduce our electricity costs, and feed a growing industry!

https://calgaryherald.com/business/ener ... ght-future

It's no wonder that the former Crown Corporation left it's birthplace. Taxes are effectively increasing, and there are no signs of an economic recovery anytime soon.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local-ne ... x-increase

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:58 am

Like it or not, we have to plan for life after oil. Alberta needs to implement a 5% sales tax and we need to create conditions for other industries to flourish in Alberta. Kenney's cuts will just prolong the suffering.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:08 am

^^

And Kenney halted all the NDP's efforts to move us away from Oil revenue. Renewable Energy, LRT construction, even a film tax credit.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:46 am

Caleb, the NDP had no plan to reduce our energy cost, in fact mine are up on average ~15% under the NDP

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:15 am

llama66 llama66:
Like it or not, we have to plan for life after oil. Alberta needs to implement a 5% sales tax and we need to create conditions for other industries to flourish in Alberta. Kenney's cuts will just prolong the suffering.

Yep, and it's sad, because our future is going to look a lot like post-coal Manchester or the US Rust Belt if we don't figure out now where to focus our energy and talent.

If we do it now, we can leverage all the world-class talent we have to turn fledgling industries into something that can provide good jobs and economic benefits for Albertans in 20 or 30 years.

If we wait too long, all those great people are going to pack up and move somewhere else for that economic opportunity and Alberta will return to an agrarian economy (with a little tourism thrown in for good measure) like we were before World War 2. Anyone remember their history lessons on Alberta in the 1930s? It wasn't pretty and we were reliant on handouts from the rest of Canada to get by.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:22 am

uwish uwish:
Caleb, the NDP had no plan to reduce our energy cost, in fact mine are up on average ~15% under the NDP

$1:
Premier Rachel Notley said the average 3.7 cents per kilowatt-hour bid by the three companies is the lowest electricity price in Canada and bodes well for future similar auctions.

The province wants to add up to 5,000 megawatts of renewable energy through private sector investment of about $10 billion by 2030.

"The naysayers predicted the price for this renewable energy would probably come in high, above eight cents a kilowatt-hour," she said.

"In fact, our process was so competitive and so many companies wanted to invest, we got a 20-year price of 3.7 cents a kilowatt-hour."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.4446746

$1:
Kenney government axes planned electricity market reform

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/ ... et-reform/

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:23 am

life after oil isn't anytime soon, unless you do not like rubber, pharmaceuticals, ooo everything you BUY that comes by freight. I agree oil won't be around forever (not because of it's scarcity) but likely technology will improve to the point where we will just use less of it. But that won't stop you from using mobiles, plastics, etc etc.. even if we get much better at recycling and eliminating or reducing single use plastics etc.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:24 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
uwish uwish:

$1:
Premier Rachel Notley said the average 3.7 cents per kilowatt-hour bid by the three companies is the lowest electricity price in Canada and bodes well for future similar auctions.

The province wants to add up to 5,000 megawatts of renewable energy through private sector investment of about $10 billion by 2030.

"The naysayers predicted the price for this renewable energy would probably come in high, above eight cents a kilowatt-hour," she said.

"In fact, our process was so competitive and so many companies wanted to invest, we got a 20-year price of 3.7 cents a kilowatt-hour."

$1:

we have had this discussion in the past, my utility bill proves my statement and I have been plotting and logging the cost for over a decade. Massive spike withing 90 days of the NDP taking office...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:32 am

uwish uwish:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
uwish uwish:

$1:

$1:

we have had this discussion in the past, my utility bill proves my statement and I have been plotting and logging the cost for over a decade. Massive spike withing 90 days of the NDP taking office...

No, it doesn't. The plan was set to go into effect in 2019, but the UCP cancelled it before that could happen. Anything prior to that is irrelevant, because the plan didn't take effect.

Why don't you track how your power bill will do now that the UCP has brought back the era of blackouts and $10,000 per minute power costs?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:34 am

well I have been and so far it's down but only due to my usage. I think it is too early to tell as of yet. But my average rate pre NDP was 3.5C / GJ now it is 6..

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:40 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
[
Yep, and it's sad, because our future is going to look a lot like post-coal Manchester or the US Rust Belt if we don't figure out now where to focus our energy and talent.

If we do it now, we can leverage all the world-class talent we have to turn fledgling industries into something that can provide good jobs and economic benefits for Albertans in 20 or 30 years.

The moment for Canada to do that was right after TMX stalled, post the cancellation of east and kitimat.

At this point? The best of the talent is already gone, or locked into gravy contracts in their existing field until retirement.

Every worker will make a choice based on their individual needs. The best will go south because it will provide the minimum disruption to said personal needs. No down time, no re training time. Move, get back to work. It is a pretty easy decision from the personal perspective.

We will be left with those that were deemed not worth the investment.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:44 am

uwish uwish:
life after oil isn't anytime soon, unless you do not like rubber, pharmaceuticals, ooo everything you BUY that comes by freight. I agree oil won't be around forever (not because of it's scarcity) but likely technology will improve to the point where we will just use less of it. But that won't stop you from using mobiles, plastics, etc etc.. even if we get much better at recycling and eliminating or reducing single use plastics etc.

Let me clarify, life after oil patch oil. The rest of the world will still produce oil, but if we can't get our oil to market, Alberta Oil and the industries that support it will die.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Vegas Golden Knights
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:46 am

llama66 llama66:
Let me clarify, life after oil patch oil. The rest of the world will still produce oil, but if we can't get our oil to market, Alberta Oil and the industries that support it will die.

As will the bulk of Canada's nano capabilities, and meta material capabilities.

Oh well.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:49 am

A nice thought, but many of the conditions in Alberta now were artificially created by the current government, which believes that it transition to zero-emissions economy in ten years (which is definitely case for Elizabeth May.) Look at Bill C-48 AKA the tanker ban off the West Coast. No one seems to care that tankers from the United States are transporting crude from Alaska to the Lower 48. Never mind that tankers routinely navigate the St. Lawrence to bring crude from abroad to refineries in Quebec, when that ecosystem is just as fragile. Canadians by and large are complacent and ignorant about how the world works. If one looks at our recent election, it would not surprise me if 66% of the population believes that the government can magically create a zero-emissions economy via legislation.

It was never about preparing for the future as it is about instant gratification. Canadians from the West Coast and the the Windsor-Quebec corridor simply want to feel better about themselves in the moment rather than finding actual solutions.