CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:41 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

See bolded.

I seem to remember something about a certain long gun registry, now deleted

Also, AFAIK unlike cars there are no regular gun inspections

Many long guns are not restricted. You might want to learn the differences between a PAL license, Restricted and Prohibited.

*sigh* I know the difference. You’re missing the point. Unrestricted firearms aren’t treated the same as cars then are they? In your rebuttal to the meme, you’re trying to redirect the discussion to restricted firearms only, you’re moving the goalposts.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 1:58 pm

Saw this on twitter:

$1:
5% of Canadians are gun owners.
Why do the conservatives care more about them than the other 95%?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:29 pm

BeaverFever BeaverFever:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

See bolded.

I seem to remember something about a certain long gun registry, now deleted

Also, AFAIK unlike cars there are no regular gun inspections

Many long guns are not restricted. You might want to learn the differences between a PAL license, Restricted and Prohibited.

*sigh* I know the difference. You’re missing the point. Unrestricted firearms aren’t treated the same as cars then are they? In your rebuttal to the meme, you’re trying to redirect the discussion to restricted firearms only, you’re moving the goalposts.

Bull. You thought you were shooting into an empty net. To bad you didn't see all the goalkeepers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 3:12 pm

Forum rules # 73

Never make grammar mistakes when mocking someone.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:07 pm

PluggyRug PluggyRug:
BeaverFever BeaverFever:

Bull. You thought you were shooting into an empty net. To bad you didn't see all the goalkeepers.

No what don’t you understand??

The meme is correct. I am correct. You are confused and disoriented as usual. .

Cars are more regulated than guns, as the meme correctly states. . I pointed out that the rules you and doc cited only apply to Restricted firearms not all firearms. I gave the (lack of) a long gun registry as an example. What aren’t you understanding?

I scored on your goal despite your entire team being in the crease.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:14 pm

Vehicle inspections aren't mandatory everywhere anymore. And haven't been for a very long time. Health checks aren't required to operate a vehicle either, except for those who've had some kind of cardiac event. Therefore your meme is wrong on at least two counts.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:37 pm

Thanos Thanos:
Vehicle inspections aren't mandatory everywhere anymore. And haven't been for a very long time. Health checks aren't required to operate a vehicle either, except for those who've had some kind of cardiac event. Therefore your meme is wrong on at least two counts.

$1:
Types of medical conditions
Some of the diseases and disabilities that may interfere with safe driving:
vision impairment
vestibular disorders, such as vertigo, dizziness
respiratory disease, such as lung disease, oxygen use
cardiovascular diseases, such as heart disease, heart attack
chronic renal disease, such as kidney disease
cerebrovascular disease, such as strokes
psychiatric disorders, such as mood and anxiety disorders, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, schizophrenia
intracranial tumours
neurological disorders, such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease
traumatic brain injury
seizures and epilepsy
cognitive impairment including dementia
drugs and driving, such as antidepressants, narcotics, sedatives, stimulants, alcohol dependence
peripheral vascular disease, such as aneurysm and vein conditions
musculoskeletal conditions, such as limb loss, joint diseases, disabilities
general debility and lack of stamina, such as chronic pain, chronic fatigue, slow reaction time
diabetes

https://www.alberta.ca/types-of-medical-conditions-that-can-affect-driving.aspx
I believe Doctors are required to report. (not specifically sure there)
It’s even more stringent for commercial drivers. When I drove a school bus I was required an initial medical, then one every 5 years and at 65—yearly.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:46 pm

$1:
Some of the diseases and disabilities that may interfere with safe driving

None of which specifically ban someone from operating a vehicle. And it's left to the doctor's discretion if these conditions are severe enough to warrant a ban. The only one that is actively monitored by the hospital is for heart attacks, where a patient can be prohibited from driving from six months to an entire year depending on the severity of the attack and how well they're recovering.

If they banned everyone with depression from driving the roads would be emptied by about a third of current traffic volume. That's how widespread the condition is. It impregnates society worse than the common cold, and receives about a tenth of the attention and treatment that a simple sinus infection does. :|

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:01 pm

Thanos Thanos:
$1:
Some of the diseases and disabilities that may interfere with safe driving

None of which specifically ban someone from operating a vehicle. And it's left to the doctor's discretion if these conditions are severe enough to warrant a ban. The only one that is actively monitored by the hospital is for heart attacks, where a patient can be prohibited from driving from six months to an entire year depending on the severity of the attack and how well they're recovering.

If they banned everyone with depression from driving the roads would be emptied by about a third of current traffic volume. That's how widespread the condition is. It impregnates society worse than the common cold, and receives about a tenth of the attention and treatment that a simple sinus infection does. :|

If a doctor indicated one of these is bad enough to endanger someone than they will loose their driving privileges!i. I know several people with epilepsy that are or have been suspended.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:27 pm

Thanos Thanos:

Ok inspections are generally only required if you sell a car and police do conduct road safety inspection blitzes occasionally but I’ll admit they’re not regular.

You do have to meet certain medical, vision and hearing requirements and declare you still meet the requirements every time you renew your license. And you can lose your license for certain health conditions and medications. “Physicians, nurse practitioners and optometrists are required to report patients who have or appear to have certain high risk medical conditions, vision conditions and/or functional impairments. In addition, physicians, nurse practitioners, optometrists and occupational therapists have the discretionary authority to report conditions that, in the opinion of the healthcare practitioner, make it dangerous for a person to drive.” Anything like that for guns, except mental health situations?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:42 pm

Is there a lot of clear and present danger at the moment being created by epileptics handling loaded firearms around you guys? How many deaths are caused per year by someone with cerebral palsy dropping a loaded handgun on the floor and killing someone in the room when it goes off?

That's the problem with this entire issue. Each and every single time it get brought up it goes off the rails with the silliest tangents imaginable.

BTW, this isn't the US where there's an insane free-for-all too often with guns. Firearms instructors in Canada are almost always ex-military or ex-police and operate under a strict code of professional conduct. They don't pass students who they think are going to be a threat to someone. If they do they and someone gets harmed they end up losing their teaching licenses, their instruction privileges, and become both legally and civilly liable in court for damages. These guys don't fuck around with what they're doing, and they certainly don't put their own personal politics ahead of their moral and ethical obligations, no matter how much the liberal side of Canada incessantly complains that anything to do with firearms is in some kind of Wild West "do what you want with them" mode.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:46 pm

seriously, build the wall

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 5:49 am

Thanos Thanos:

^^^

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:29 am

Thanos Thanos:

You're largely correct when it comes to passenger vehicles, but when it comes to commercial vehicles, vehicle inspections and health checks are mandatory in most provinces (Alberta certainly) - mostly if you want to drive a taxi, Uber, ambulance, school bus, semi,, etc., then they certainly are as part of your Class 1, 2, or 4 driver's licence and/or commercial carrier's permit(s).

https://www.alberta.ca/medical-requirements.aspx

A doctor can also recommend temporary/permanment revoking of your licence if you have any number of medical conditions, not just cardiac events:

https://www.alberta.ca/types-of-medical ... iving.aspx

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 9:36 am

Thanos Thanos:
Is there a lot of clear and present danger at the moment being created by epileptics handling loaded firearms around you guys? How many deaths are caused per year by someone with cerebral palsy dropping a loaded handgun on the floor and killing someone in the room when it goes off?

That's the problem with this entire issue. Each and every single time it get brought up it goes off the rails with the silliest tangents imaginable.

BTW, this isn't the US where there's an insane free-for-all too often with guns. Firearms instructors in Canada are almost always ex-military or ex-police and operate under a strict code of professional conduct. They don't pass students who they think are going to be a threat to someone. If they do they and someone gets harmed they end up losing their teaching licenses, their instruction privileges, and become both legally and civilly liable in court for damages. These guys don't fuck around with what they're doing, and they certainly don't put their own personal politics ahead of their moral and ethical obligations, no matter how much the liberal side of Canada incessantly complains that anything to do with firearms is in some kind of Wild West "do what you want with them" mode.

That's true. I will also add this.

At the two ranges where I have membership both require some form of orientation.

Indoor Pistol and Revolver range...six visits with an instructor where trigger discipline, muzzle control, accuracy, etc is taught. A report is submitted to the committee for evaluation.
If accepted, a one day safety course given. Write a 50 question exam, shoot a variety of handguns, revolvers, semi-auto pistols of all common calibers. If passing all the above your acceptance form must be signed by three board members who have knowledge of your basic attitude to them and other members.
A similar procedure for the outdoor range except for the written exam.

All of the above also requires having a valid RPAL.

Now apply that to driving a vehicle and tell me which requires the stricter rules.

Beave, you have zero comprehension.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10  Next