Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2008-10-28 21:58:08
Canadian

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:49 am

Because we are in Afghanistan, it means Canadian Soldiers are homeless because of it? That makes zero sense, backed up by nothing.

Soldiers are homeless because as a soldier low rank class you don't get paid much which is reduced 50% upon retirement as retirement military pay.

In this time of economic crisis, average people with degrees are having a hard time finding jobs to pay the bills. Atleast some of them, which is even harder for soldiers as they don't have the direct education that the decent pay jobs require, unless cop's make decent wage or they go onto college or University afterwards.

Just because a large percent of the homeless is military veterns doesn't mean it connects to the war in any way. That's a ludicrious connection.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:29 am

What the article is trying to get to is that soldiers with mental health issues from Afghanistan will be more prevalent on the streets. If you are discharged because you are too fucked up to go to work chances are you will end up on the streets. Some would say its one of the many hazards of the job... :|

I would not say a large percentage of homeless in Canada are ex-service members, veterans affaires tries very hard to keep track of retired soldiers. The one spot they do have trouble with are ex reservists.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:06 am

If you have mental health issues, good luck. You're on your own in BC.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:15 am

I know our health care isn't what it use to be, but surely they can get treatment for whatever ails them?

I mean whatever war symptoms they get, if our military and government really cuts them out to dry than I just lost my patriotism.

Train them to defend Canada, put a few measly dollars in there pocket. Send them to do Canada's bidding, and when they come back all fucked up just kick them out the door and leave them to rot for serving Canada. God I hope that isn't the case.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:34 am

Its really complicated, the main issue is keeping track of someone who's adress is: The cardboard box between the Beer Store and the Curves on main street.

No one is kicking them out the door either, some people feel safer on the street. Its just the way the stress has effected them. The vast majority of soldiers with an OSI do not live on the streets. I know a few who say they are dealing with problems and for the most part you cant tell the difference between them and anyone else in the CF.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
 San Jose Sharks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:38 pm

You and I cant really understand how a soldier can be affected by a war.SOme guys here have been in the army so they would know. Not ever person can go through a war and come back and get a job etc. If a soldier has lost his legs and arms we would look after him so whyy is a mental health issue be any different.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:46 pm

I hope you were not refering to me when you said:
mixedfarmer mixedfarmer:
You and I cant really understand how a soldier can be affected by a war.

An OSI isnt something that you can diagnose when a guy comes back, it can show up years after the guy leaves the military. Think about it a guy joins the army, does one tour and leaves the army after 5 years. Four years later he starts to develop an OSI. Some guys refuse help and never seek treatment. It is nothing like a physical injury and is no where near as easy to fix. This is why if you are diagnosed with a OSI in the military, Veterans Affairs will usually pay 25000+ for compensation.

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:48 pm

$1:
If a soldier has lost his legs and arms we would look after him so whyy is a mental health issue be any different.

Simple answer.....because you can see his disability.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:14 pm

Hyack Hyack:
$1:
If a soldier has lost his legs and arms we would look after him so whyy is a mental health issue be any different.

Simple answer.....because you can see his disability.

Pretty much. There is so much stigma associated with mental illness as well, family, friends and co-workers will shun someone with a mental illness, its sad. It is also difficult for someone to accept the diagnosis as well, due in part to the stigma, many will treat symptoms with substances until they hit a psychotic episode that lands them in hospital. Even then, they are usually written off as just an addict and no proper assessment is ever done. To get someone an assessment they must be at risk to themselves or others and using isnt considered a risk. A person will sit in an ER experiencing auditory and visual hallucinations, stating that they are suicidal and still have to wait hours through triage, most just leave to subdue the symptoms themselves. When someone finally gets seen they generally get a diagnosis of psychosis NOS, which means the doctors are seeing it as drug induced mental health.

Until all of us treat mental health illnesses the same as other diseases, we will see more of this. Think about how you treat someone with MH illness, now do you treat someone with cancer the same way?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:16 pm

This is why the military is trying as hard as it possibly can to keep track of veterans and make sure that even if they dont want the help someone is there that they can talk to.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Well that is a start, but until services recognize and understand Concurrent disorders we are not going to see an improvement in folks lives. Our government isnt quite up to snuff on being open to dialogue in this area and would rather shut the door on people than to help them. We are seeing more services in the lower mainland in this area, but it is not enough. Also, many psych nurses and psychiatrists are not open to understanding concurrent disorders and there is always the battle between them and the frontline workers.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:39 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
If you have mental health issues, good luck. You're on your own in BC.

I am here, I do my best :evil: :wink:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:42 pm

TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:
Well that is a start, but until services recognize and understand Concurrent disorders we are not going to see an improvement in folks lives. Our government isnt quite up to snuff on being open to dialogue in this area and would rather shut the door on people than to help them. We are seeing more services in the lower mainland in this area, but it is not enough. Also, many psych nurses and psychiatrists are not open to understanding concurrent disorders and there is always the battle between them and the frontline workers.

I dont know what it is like out in BC but the military out in NB is doing all they can to help.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:45 pm

Eisensapper Eisensapper:
TattoodGirl TattoodGirl:

I dont know what it is like out in BC but the military out in NB is doing all they can to help.

I am not saying the CF isnt doing anything, I am saying that all services across the board need to get on the same page. I know what the CF is doing and they are looking at the addiction and mental health piece, but once a person has fallen through the cracks, which many have, what do we do?...It shouldnt just rest on the CF.