Title: Black screen angers Windows users in China
Category: Business
Posted By: ridenrain
Date: 2008-10-29 12:49:48
Canadian

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:14 pm

I'm so conflicted. Do I cheer for Microsoft or China?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:20 pm

Cheer for Microsoft. This is like a hilariously serious prank played on most of a nation. God knows I'm laughing. :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:21 pm

I say screw the black screen have it show a chinese flag on fire XD

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:21 pm

So let me get this straight, people are complaining because the pirated copy of windows they are using goes black every hour ......... so why don't they just go out and buy a real copy then? It's like me complaining that the quality of the mp3 I illegally downloaded (not that I would ever do that :wink: ) isn't as good as the quality of the real thing.

Stop buying pirated software, problem solved.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:24 pm

Because the real copy of XP is like $140 in China. I can see how the cost would provide an enormous impetus for use of pirated software. Maybe Microsoft needs to work on that as well?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:24 pm

$1:
Some critics in China, however, argue that such an integral and strategic part of the Chinese economy as computing software should not be in American hands. They also complain that Microsoft charges too much in a country with widespread poverty.

ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL ROTFL

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:27 pm

Next thing you know they'll complain that the car they stole doesn't get good 0-60.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:40 pm

dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:

Make it cheaper and i will, same reason i refuse to buy a cd or movie, way to high priced cosnidering what it cost to make.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:42 pm

acidcomplex acidcomplex:

Make it cheaper and i will, same reason i refuse to buy a cd or movie, way to high priced cosnidering what it cost to make.

Having a movie, cd, or software isn't your right. If you can't afford it then tough, it's not an excuse for you to take it for free. Now you are just a poor criminal.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:48 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
Having a movie, cd, or software isn't your right. If you can't afford it then tough, it's not an excuse for you to take it for free. Now you are just a poor criminal.
Yup. If I could "positive rep" that post, I would.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:50 pm

RUEZ RUEZ:
acidcomplex acidcomplex:

i agree that's its not my right i didn't say it was, but it is my right if i choose not to buy it cause its overpriced. Its not my right to steal it either but you can bet your ass I will

If you were Microsoft Would you rather lower your XP to say 80 bucks and make 60 less or leave it the same price and make 0 cause i pirated it?

Lol im not to poor to afford it but i wont pay 13.99 for something that cost 5 bucks to make including fuel costs,artist,etc etc.

I wont pay the Chinese 14 dollars for my 7 dollar pack of beer either. same logic

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:19 pm

The problem as already mentioned is that it costs far too much. $140 might not sound like much to you, but given the 'average' wage is about $3000 annually, that's a huge chunk of change. That's roughly 4%, and keep in mind that roughly 200 million Chinese make less than $1000 annually. How popular would Microsoft be if they sold that same software here for $2000 (4% of a $50,000 annual salary)?

I understand Microsoft's position, but they should price their product far more in tune with the local market. Other major foreign manufacturers in China (like say VW) sell cars for a fraction of the cost that they do in North America.

Odds are, a lot part of the coding was done in China anyways, meaning it cost far less to produce than if it was done here. Microsoft needs to stop being so damned greedy and price the product properly.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:36 pm

acidcomplex acidcomplex:

Well I can't argue with you there, Microsoft could easily afford to drop their prices on all there software and still make a killing especially their older software. Mind you they're not the only ones, Corel Draw is around $400 + which just makes me sick.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:44 pm

bootlegga bootlegga:
The problem as already mentioned is that it costs far too much. $140 might not sound like much to you, but given the 'average' wage is about $3000 annually, that's a huge chunk of change. That's roughly 4%, and keep in mind that roughly 200 million Chinese make less than $1000 annually. How popular would Microsoft be if they sold that same software here for $2000 (4% of a $50,000 annual salary)?

I understand Microsoft's position, but they should price their product far more in tune with the local market. Other major foreign manufacturers in China (like say VW) sell cars for a fraction of the cost that they do in North America.

Odds are, a lot part of the coding was done in China anyways, meaning it cost far less to produce than if it was done here. Microsoft needs to stop being so damned greedy and price the product properly.

Linux based OS's are free. Stealing isn't the answer to not being able to afford it. They want Windows, they just aren't willing to pay. Doesn't give anyone the right to steal, just because they think it's overpriced.

And the best benefit, no one will blackscreen Debian or Unbuntu just because they think you stole it.