Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:00 am

poquas poquas:
ridenrain ridenrain:
It was only the vision and push of the Reform party that brought the state of the senate into the minds of the Canadian people.

Actually it was Mulroney stacking the Senate that even made it an issue.

Regardless, how's that working out for you Reformers? Great idea with zero chance of implementation.......... ever.

Which is why changing the senate has garnered more and more attention each and every year. While parties such as the Liberals may try to block these changes in a desperate act of self preservation it's only a matter of time before we either end up with an elected senate and a dissolution of the system which exists now. All Canadians can thank the reform party for that.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:00 pm

dino_bobba_renno dino_bobba_renno:
poquas poquas:
ridenrain ridenrain:
It was only the vision and push of the Reform party that brought the state of the senate into the minds of the Canadian people.

Actually it was Mulroney stacking the Senate that even made it an issue.

Regardless, how's that working out for you Reformers? Great idea with zero chance of implementation.......... ever.

Which is why changing the senate has garnered more and more attention each and every year. While parties such as the Liberals may try to block these changes in a desperate act of self preservation it's only a matter of time before we either end up with an elected senate and a dissolution of the system which exists now. All Canadians can thank the reform party for that.

You really don't grasp the problem at all, do you? No particular party can force OR STOP the change. It requires near unanimity of the provinces to change the constitution.

As much as I like the idea, when the Reform party suggested it, it was impossible even then, and they knew it.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:02 pm

poquas poquas:
You really don't grasp the problem at all, do you? No particular party can force OR STOP the change. It requires near unanimity of the provinces to change the constitution.

Quebec will never go for it, never.

Referendum time on senate reform.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:14 pm

poquas poquas:

As much as I like the idea, when the Reform party suggested it, it was impossible even then, and they knew it.

And the Liberal members of the senate have been more than accommodating when looking at any issue that deals with senate reform such as limited terms, ya right. Go take your "I'm a disgruntled Conservative" act some where else.

Whether Quebec likes it or not senate reform has been gaining ever more support in the recent years. It may take another 10 or even 20 years to accomplish but sooner or later it will change regardless of whether or not a couple provinces see it as a threat to their power base.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:23 pm

My political position (as are yours) is completely irrelevant.

Try again......

Do you understand what is required to eliminate or significantly modify the senate?

Do you seriously think any of the parties in the house OR the senate itself has the authority to make the changes?

Do you really understand how our constitution works in order to make those changes?

Do you really have a clue?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:54 pm

poquas poquas:

Try again......

Do you understand what is required to eliminate or significantly modify the senate?

Do you seriously think any of the parties in the house OR the senate itself has the authority to make the changes?

Do you really understand how our constitution works in order to make those changes?

Do you really have a clue?

Yes I'm well aware of all of those hudles but many other nations made the change in the face of the similar challenges. Constitution or not if the will of the majority wants senate change then it will happen.

And keep in mind that the consitution serves us not the other way around. “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”

Now go bite a pillow or what ever you do when your upset as this issue clearly seems to be bothering you.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:29 pm

Yes I'm well aware of all of those hudles but many other nations made the change in the face of the similar challenges. Constitution or not if the will of the majority wants senate change then it will happen.

Well, since a “hudle” is out of the question, what do you propose? Revolution?

And keep in mind that the constitution serves us not the other way around. “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”

Sure does, and there’s a prescribed way to make changes, and your wishing it were true or your mighty force of will is not going to matter. I guess we’re back to your other plan.

Now, what was that plan again?

Now go bite a pillow or what ever you do when your upset as this issue clearly seems to be bothering you.

I’m not upset. I don’t live in your delusional partisan world. Like I said before, I realized the Reform senate promise was a crock when it was originally made. That doesn’t make it a bad idea, but I’m not about to get my knickers in a knot waiting for something I never expected to happen in the first place. How ‘bout you?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:36 pm

poquas poquas:

It's not so much as your political position but your credability, and you blew that away with you're Conservative charade.

In this matter, you are right but evntually even Quebec won't be able to stop this from being changed.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:23 pm

Another one suffering from the same delusion.

...and your solution is?

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:47 pm

ridenrain ridenrain:
It's not so much as your political position but your credability, and you blew that away with you're Conservative charade.

Oh, and for the record chuckles, I really don’t give a shit what credibility (not “credability”) you think I have. I’ve clearly stated my position so I really don’t give a damn if you think I’m (…gasp!)a Liberal with NDP leanings.

It’s clear to me that your (not “you’re”) involvement in MY Conservative party demonstrates very clearly where the problem lies and that until your (not “you’re”) ilk is removed, the support will continue to drop.

… and for Christ’s sake try writing in English. :roll: