canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Oh hey I do agree with you in some part Zip. But just because there isn't another available explanation outside of science doesn't mean this one is the right one. How many people have been wrongly sent to prison because there didn't seem to be another available explanation for what happened?

So would you classify yourself as an Evolutionary Theist? One that believes God or another outside source made the basics and then let things happen naturally?
If you don't wanna label yerself that's cool. Just curious as to what you actually believe.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:02 pm

I'll ask again, what do you mean life start twice? :?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:10 pm

I mean what life type spontaneously happened first? Plant or animal life?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:17 pm

Neither, they both came from the same place, micro organisms.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:18 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
I mean what life type spontaneously happened first? Plant or animal life?

Not to butt in, but the correct answer is "neither". Plant and animal life have a common ancestor that was neither plant nor animal but molecular.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:21 pm

Ummm micro organisms are still living things, some are plant and some are animal. Which came first?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:26 pm

Ummm micro organisms are still living things, some are plant and some are animal. Which came first?

It doesn't matter which came first, chronologically. It matters that they BOTH came from a common ancestor that was alive, but neither plant nor animal. Animals and plants are each evoloved from a common ancestor. That's "Evolution Happens Scientific Proof #1".

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:28 pm

Yes you have one very primitive micro organism, which evolves; some go the rout of simple organism phytoplankton while others go the route of algae.

Now I dont mean specificly algae and phytoplankton, just similar primitive organisms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eukaryote

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:42 pm

Oh hey I do agree with you in some part Zip. But just because there isn't another available explanation outside of science doesn't mean this one is the right one. How many people have been wrongly sent to prison because there didn't seem to be another available explanation for what happened?

So would you classify yourself as an Evolutionary Theist? One that believes God or another outside source made the basics and then let things happen naturally?
If you don't wanna label yerself that's cool. Just curious as to what you actually believe.

My beliefs are difficult to articulate. If you've ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, then you'd understand. I believe the universe is self-aware because I am self-aware. I believe the path to enlightenment is the dissolution of the ego. I have an advanced degree in science, however I believe science is a very limited tool and that rationality is highly overrated. I haven't actually taken it much further than that. Maybe one day I will.

Last edited by Zipperfish on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:43 pm

wow, so a single common ancestor produced both plant AND animal life? And you actually see this as making sense? So two entirely independent set of genomes formed at the same time to create the two branches of life. Why, one could almost call that, a MIRACLE :lol:

And Lemmy, what you stated is an assumption, NOT proof :roll: And it certainly DOES matter which came first, chronologically

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:45 pm

Wada Wada:
I'd love for someone to prove that humans have evolved at all. :roll:
I thought it had already been proven, humans evolved from conservatives.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:45 pm

It makes perfect sense, you just have to see how small the changes were. It wasnt like one day you have prokaryote life and next you have ferns and fish. Check out the wiki link.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:00 pm

Zipperfish Zipperfish:
My beliefs are difficult to articulate. If you've ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, then you'd understand. I believe the universe is self-aware because I am self-aware. I believe the path to enlightenment is the dissolution of the ego. I have an advanced degree in science, however I believe science is a very limited tool and that rationality is highly overrated. I haven't actually taken it much further than that. Maybe one day I will.

Ahh ok I do understand actually. The irony of all this is, both sides in effect are trying to rationalize why we are here. We are all looking for the answer to the same question. The only thing we truly know is, we are here. How we got here isn't something that has been proven, no matter HOW hard some people want to believe it has been. Those that do are putting their faith in science in much the same way Creationists put their faith in a God that did it.
The only thing that is similar between the two is that science hasn't been able to prove either theory.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:10 pm

No, they are either Prokaryots or Protists. Life is not divided into "Plants" and "Animals!" The two kingdom classification system went out the window with the development of the microscope.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:24 pm

wow, so a single common ancestor produced both plant AND animal life? And you actually see this as making sense? So two entirely independent set of genomes formed at the same time to create the two branches of life. Why, one could almost call that, a MIRACLE :lol:

Actually that's "Proof of Evolution #2", the very fact that the two evolved organisms were different. By being different, it means that something external drove the change, say to the first plant. Then, later, some other external effect on the "mother" caused the first animal. Or maybe it was the other way around. Either way, 2 offspring survived, one the first animal, one the first plant. Perhaps there 3 or 4 or 300B different sorts of life from that orignal one. Plant and Animal are the only 2 we've discovered still existing today.

And Lemmy, what you stated is an assumption, NOT proof :roll: And it certainly DOES matter which came first, chronologically

No, the fact that they DIDN'T happen at the same time is supportive of evolution. It indicates that life can change in different ways in response to environment.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Previous  1 ... 6  7  8  9  10  Next