Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:07 pm

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Residential schools were not alone in abusive treatment:

Over 100,000 British orphans and kids left by their parents were shipped off to Canada to be nothing more than slaves.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/ ... cle/897593

The Australians treated these poor kids no better.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2 ... rudd_.html

You could be forgiven for only thinking the Natives were hard done to. That wheel squeaks very loudly. But hundreds of thousands of white, anglo-saxon kids faced the same or worse than Native kids and a good portion of this happened in Canada. Was that an attempt to 'eradicate a culture' too?
Seems like both native and white kids got treated pretty much the same in those days. Badly.

My dad was one of those orphans only he was lucky enough to be beaten, treated like shit and used as slave labour on farms in his own country.

It's funny that this stuff that happened to 'white' kids hasn't been even discussed until very recently but we have all heard about Native residential schools for years now.

It seems that some victims are more important than others?

Last edited by EyeBrock on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:08 pm

Dayseed Dayseed:
I'm waiting for the "campaign of eradication" to get horribly morphed into "just a conference of top administrators"...
[popcorn]

Actually, i don't think this one could even hit those heights...we got a live one here!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:26 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
EyeBrock EyeBrock:
Residential schools were not alone in abusive treatment:

Over 100,000 British orphans and kids left by their parents were shipped off to Canada to be nothing more than slaves.

http://telegraphjournal.canadaeast.com/ ... cle/897593

The Australians treated these poor kids no better.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2 ... rudd_.html

You could be forgiven for only thinking the Natives were hard done to. That wheel squeaks very loudly. But hundreds of thousands of white, anglo-saxon kids faced the same or worse than Native kids and a good portion of this happened in Canada. Was that an attempt to 'eradicate a culture' too?
Seems like both native and white kids got treated pretty much the same in those days. Badly.

My dad was one of those orphans only he was lucky enough to be beaten, treated like shit and used as slave labour on farms in his own country.

It's funny that this stuff that happened to 'white' kids hasn't been even discussed until very recently but we have all heard about Native residential schools for years now.

It seems that some victims are more important than others?

Seems that some victims are also able to get over it and get on with their lives.
Hell my dad wasn't even allowed to go beyond elementary school cuz it was a "waste of time and resources" educating a lowly farm boy re: slave.
When he came to Canada, he had to get his high school diploma through a correspondance course, adult high schools weren't around yet, all while supporting a family of five.
I guess it just pisses me off when I see the Natives pissing and moaning about the same shit that has happened to everyone else, and at the same time, are given WAY more opportunities to improve their lot than my father EVER had.
But let's face it, it's MUCH easier to continue playing the victim than it is to actually DO something to improve your life.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:11 pm

I rather liked that point that it wasnt' easy for the British children, the even better point was it just wasn't easy for the working class not that long ago.