canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Title: Saudi religious police kick off no-red-goods campaign to enforce Valentine's Day ban
Category: Religion
Posted By: Hyack
Date: 2010-02-11 15:38:47
Canadian

News Moderator
News Moderator
 Edmonton Oilers

Warnings: (-20%)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Have to plan ahead to dig yourself outta the dog house over there. :lol:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:05 pm

The Saudis are so ridiculous sometimes that not even The Onion could do better. They make Puritans look like swingers by comparison.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Montreal Canadiens

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:17 pm

*Patiently waits for the moral equivalence peddlers*

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:26 pm

Don't hold your breath. There is no equivalence for this kind of lunacy.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:28 am

commanderkai commanderkai:
*Patiently waits for the moral equivalence peddlers*

Okay, I'm game. Is this really a moral outrage? Should we be sending troops to liberate the Saudis to be free to buy crap for this cheesy holiday? Who cares what they do?

Until we stop propping them up and buying their oil (and don't tell me Canada doesn't - the country we rely on and love to sell our raw materials certainly does) any moral outrage of ours directed at SA is just hypocritical. We send them the money so they can fund the terrorists so we can send our people over there to die for it. 'Course that may be the whole plan - certainly a good way to keep us quiet and docile.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:56 am

wildrosegirl wildrosegirl:
Have to plan ahead to dig yourself outta the dog house over there. :lol:

Naw, makes it easier.

'Baby baby I couldn't buy anything, the mutts have taken it all away.'

;)

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:56 am

Are they outraged against the holiday because it promotes romance, or that Valentine was a Christian martyr? or perhaps the pricks like to find any excuse to make others miserable.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Calgary Flames
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:56 am

Why do Saudi muslims even want to celebrate Valentines anyway, the land of arranged marriages and legal marriage to children can't really have any concept of love can it? Hell, I'm pretty sure they don't even love Allah.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:16 am

Arranged marriages were actually pretty commonplace within our own culture until fairly recently. Loving God doesn't seem to be big in Islamic culture, but fearing Him is a big thing...very Old Testament. I don't think the Koran even has anything analogous to Psalms, which were essentially love songs to God written by David.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:11 am

Choban Choban:
Why do Saudi muslims even want to celebrate Valentines anyway, the land of arranged marriages and legal marriage to children can't really have any concept of love can it? Hell, I'm pretty sure they don't even love Allah.

Some studies have found that love does as well under arrange marriages as in our way - in the long run. Ie they come to love each other. I'm certainly not promoting the idea, but it's not as if your system is working all that well either, with the divorce rate and all.

The jihadis must love Allah - he's going to give them those 72 virgins and all.

Also, Shepherd's Dog, if you look at the poetry of Rumi, bhakti (love of God) is the main feature. He talks about being drunk in his adoration of God. He probably wasn't the only one to experience this, but maybe you have to be a Sufi to get into it, the other sects don't provide the expressive channel to contemplate the idea. (This is just conjecture on my part, what do I know about Islam.)