Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:23 am

This country is fucked.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:44 am

$1:
They can either take measures to ensure their child is born in Canada, or sponsor their children born abroad under the Family Class category so they may obtain permanent residence. Parents must provide evidence they will live in Canada once their child becomes a permanent resident.

Once permanent residence is obtained, Kenney has said parents can apply for a regular grant of citizenship on their child's behalf, without being subject to the regular three-year residency requirement if the children are under 18.

A bit fucked maybe, but its an easy solution.

We need to stop giving away citizenship like its a supermarket coupon.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:53 am

Jason Kenney Jason Kenney:
we expect citizens to have an ongoing commitment, connection and loyalty to Canada

So does that mean if a Canadian moves out of Canada and pays taxes to another country and never intends to return, he or she has to forfeit their citizenship? You can certainly contest their loyalty and connection to Canada.

What about people who routinely fail to vote? You can question their commitment.

What about people who simply fail to pay their taxes? You can question their commitment and loyalty.

What this is is probably nothing more than this government getting pissed off about evacuating the so-called "Canadians of convenience" from Lebanon and making a typically spiteful, short-sighted move in retaliation.

Canada is a country of INCLUSION not EXCLUSION. For shame.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:56 am

I'll have to take note of this, as I born in Germany while my dad was stationed there.

hurley_108 hurley_108:
Jason Kenney Jason Kenney:
we expect citizens to have an ongoing commitment, connection and loyalty to Canada

So does that mean if a Canadian moves out of Canada and pays taxes to another country and never intends to return, he or she has to forfeit their citizenship? You can certainly contest their loyalty and connection to Canada.

What about people who routinely fail to vote? You can question their commitment.

What about people who simply fail to pay their taxes? You can question their commitment and loyalty.

What this is is probably nothing more than this government getting pissed off about evacuating the so-called "Canadians of convenience" from Lebanon and making a typically spiteful, short-sighted move in retaliation.

Canada is a country of INCLUSION not EXCLUSION. For shame.

R=UP

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:03 am

bootlegga bootlegga:
I'll have to take note of this, as I born in Germany while my dad was stationed there.

Seems as long as your kids are born here, there's no problem.

But even then, the article intonated that either this doesn't apply to children of soldiers stationed abroad, or at least that they're working on a special exemption for that area. And besides, as long as every other generation is born in Canada, it's all good.

Of course, that will just lead to people flying to Canada just to give birth, placing a strain on our medical system, only to jet right back out again with their natural-born Canadian kid. Because that's better than just giving the kid a passport. [huh]

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:08 am

I don't have a problem with this. When dad returns he can bring his son with him and make him a citizen then. If they never return they never have to worry.

I agree with this legislation - who wants generations of "Canadians" that never set foot in Canada but want to use us as a safety country. (If the country other than Canada you're living in is so great, why worry about being Canadian.) Likely that's what's happening in Lebanon for instance.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:54 am

I think it's pretty fair really.

How can you be an instant Canadian when you are born somewhere else? He can apply to have his kids become citizens like everybody else who is born outside the country. The act covers CF members and diplomats who have children while in their service to Canada overseas.

It shouldn't cover people who just want to go and work somewhere of their own choosing and then expect the kids they have in Peru to be Canadians.

Some people take this citizenship thing like its an addition to their passport collection. I take my citizenship very seriously.

I'm an immigrant, I only hold a Canadian passport, I vote in every election and I pay my taxes (way too much tax in Ontario!).

It pains me to see plastic Canadians whining about what Canada isn't doing for them.

JFK said it best.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:35 am

Well like I said, there are plenty of multi-generation, born-and-raised Canadians who don't take their citizenship very seriously. What makes them more worthy of being able to pass on their citizenship?

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:52 pm

I can appreciate what they're trying to do here. If you were born abroad, then have kids abroad, chances are you've moved back to where you were born and are raising your family there. I think the guy in the story is a bit of a special case. I don't think he'd have any trouble sponsoring his kids when he returns to Canada.

On the other hand, if people want to work abroad I don't think we should make it too difficult for them to return. I don't agree with the all Canadian or nothing aditude in some earlier posts, but then I'm married to an American, we pay taxes in both countries. She votes there, I vote here. We have a daughter that holds two passports, when she grows up she'll have a choice.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:55 pm

It's not difficult for dad to return at all - he's a Canadian citizen and can't be denied. And as long as his son is a dependent he can bring him with and the son can become a Canadian citizen if he stays here long enough to qualify. To have generations of Canadians living abroad because somebody's great grandfather was a Canadian citizen doesn't seem right to me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:17 pm

so ... let me get this strait? a guy
who wasnt born in Canada
Doesnt live in Canada
Wants his son
Who ALSO was not born in Canada
To be considered CANADIAN?
I don't care if hes ticked off. the policy seems reasonable

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:13 pm

The policy is obviously aimed at so-called canadians of convienience, and as such I fully support it. While I do sympathize with this guy's situation it seems like it's likely to be a very rare sort of case.

Probably the main thing to take from it would be that people should do a better job of educating themselves. I would presume that this guy had atleast 9 months to figure out what his son's citizenship situation was likely to be. That said, I would've thought that the gov't would do a better job of informing citizens who live abroad about changes in immigration and citizenship laws.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:23 pm

Unsound Unsound:
The policy is obviously aimed at so-called canadians of convienience, and as such I fully support it. While I do sympathize with this guy's situation it seems like it's likely to be a very rare sort of case.

Probably the main thing to take from it would be that people should do a better job of educating themselves. I would presume that this guy had atleast 9 months to figure out what his son's citizenship situation was likely to be. That said, I would've thought that the gov't would do a better job of informing citizens who live abroad about changes in immigration and citizenship laws.

I think it rests with the individual to suss out the laws of Peru vs Canada. Nobody gave me anything on a plate when I emigrated to Canada.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:48 pm

EyeBrock EyeBrock:
I think it rests with the individual to suss out the laws of Peru vs Canada. Nobody gave me anything on a plate when I emigrated to Canada.

What tripped him up is the law changed sometime between his first and second child. I imagine that would suprise most people.