GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:23 am

Huh.

Well I wonder why?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:48 am

I've been saying it for years. Manufacturing and business has been offloading their costs on to the population for years as a cost saving measure. If they had to return the air and water in the same condition they borrowed it in, their business models crumble.

It only makes sense they they don't want us to know how much it's costing us.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:26 am

I'm all in favor of such disclosures so long as the Chinese et al do it too.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:42 am

From the article, it seems to imply that the businesses are already required to disclose the gross amount of gases that they release into the atmosphere, and are objecting to having to release internal data regarding their processes. Is that correct?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:43 am

So China is the new moral beacon that world should to look to and aspire to be like ?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:48 am

desertdude desertdude:
So China is the new moral beacon that world should to look to and aspire to be like ?

No. The point is that when China is now the world's #1 emitter of CO2 any reductions made at a sizable economic cost by the USA and Canada can be rapidly erased by increases in Chinese industry.

I don't subscribe to the idea that man is causing global warming anyway. We may be influencing it, but if so, then any such influence is done at a global level and must be resolved at a global level.

Destroying industry in the West while China, Russia, India, Brazil, and etc. continue to pollute is no less than an assault on Western economies.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:02 am

After a long time there is a lot ( not all )of which I can agree with in there.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:04 am

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
I've been saying it for years. Manufacturing and business has been offloading their costs on to the population for years as a cost saving measure. If they had to return the air and water in the same condition they borrowed it in, their business models crumble.

In fact the whole capitalist system would crumble. But then you and I also don't return the environment to the condition we found it in. Can't really be done. What can be done is a cost assigned to the environmental damage any activity charges - that's the best way to protect the environment. Wouldn't even need any laws, the market would act as regulator.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:20 am

andyt andyt:
DrCaleb DrCaleb:

In fact the whole capitalist system would crumble. But then you and I also don't return the environment to the condition we found it in. Can't really be done. What can be done is a cost assigned to the environmental damage any activity charges - that's the best way to protect the environment. Wouldn't even need any laws, the market would act as regulator.

Perhaps Dr. Caleb should be required to put his last night's dinner in the same condition he received it before he puts it back in the environment. :idea:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:31 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Perhaps Dr. Caleb should be required to put his last night's dinner in the same condition he received it before he puts it back in the environment. :idea:

Well millions of animals don't, and the world has developed ways of creating more dinners from those digested ones. If we would only shit in harmony with the environment, it wouldn't be a problem. Driving a car tho, for example, is a different story.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:04 am

How about they disclose what they have, so we know what we're talking about and then we can see if we should try to engage in a homosexual orgy of environmental awareness with China?

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:07 am

As if China would care.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:11 am

Well if you think developing nations are going to do anything then your wrong. Its now their chance to develop and grow and no tree hugger is going to tell them that you can't have your indutries and factories.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:18 am

A lot of environmental regulations that developed nations can handle end up harming less well-off peoples. What's that? We got rid of malaria? Time to ban DDT and screw everyone else.