Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:33 am

A helmet doesn't help that one! :lol:

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:54 am

I wear one, but on really hot days it's a pain.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:56 am

Bacardi4206 Bacardi4206:
I never wore them because I thought they were gay, maybe if they designed ones that actually looked good perhaps kids would start wearing them. Unless I was attempting to do stop stupid trick, there was this park near my house where kids built these dirt mounds. Do some jumps and other things. That's the only case I'd have wore my helmet.

You'll really look gay when you're lying in bed with drool coming out of your mouth.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:58 am

Brenda Brenda:
I grew up without them, no one wears them there still, it's not like they help that much because of the material, and going 10 kms/hr...
Methinks next thing will be we are going to have to wear patted clothing and helmets to only walk on the sidewalk, let alone when we go hiking. :roll:

Take a watermelon and throw it at 10 kph at a wall, see what happens. And who only goes 10 kph on their bike?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:00 am

fifeboy fifeboy:
I wear one, but on really hot days it's a pain.

Get a good one with lots of ventilation. I see lots of people now with these weird helmets that look like kyaking helmets or something - solid plastic with a couple of air holes drilled in them. Don't see how they can wear those. But a good Giro with more open space than material won't make you too hot.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:13 am

andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:
I grew up without them, no one wears them there still, it's not like they help that much because of the material, and going 10 kms/hr...
Methinks next thing will be we are going to have to wear patted clothing and helmets to only walk on the sidewalk, let alone when we go hiking. :roll:

Take a watermelon and throw it at 10 kph at a wall, see what happens. And who only goes 10 kph on their bike?

Recreational? Where I come from, every body does. On bikes like this, with kids:
You don't want to know how many times I went on my bike, doing groceries, one kid in front, other on the back

Why would you run into a wall anyway? Don't you have breaks that work?

BTW, in the 34 years I spent on my bicycle, I never had an accident after I passed the training stage. I biked to school (15 kms one way) every single day for 6 years. Like we ALL did. I don't know anybody who has suffered head injury from doing that every day. A helmet does not save your brain when you are hit by a car anyway.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:18 am

You're getting as good as bart at weaseling. OK, throw that watermelon at the ground or at a car at 10kph and see what happens. Or have a car knock you off your bike and hit your head at at 10 kph and tell me if you'd rather be wearing a helmet.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:23 am

andyt andyt:
You're getting as good as bart at weaseling. OK, throw that watermelon at the ground or at a car at 10kph and see what happens. Or have a car knock you off your bike and hit your head at at 10 kph and tell me if you'd rather be wearing a helmet.

Weaseling?? Because I despise a helmet law for people who use their bikes like I do?
Please. Those helmets don't do anything.

I could understand you would WANT TO wear a helmet when you go downhill mountain biking.

If you are afraid your head might not make it when you get hit by a car, you might want to start wearing one just walking down the street, where a car can run you over too. I take it you don't want that, right?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:27 am

You can reducto ad adsurdum all you want, it doesn't help your argument. Helmets aren't the perfect solution, but there is no perfect solution. They prevent some head injuries and that's good enough. They are so light you forget you're wearing one, so I don't see why people make such a fuss.

I don't know where you're finding all those bike paths where you live.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:30 am

I live in a small town, we don't need bike paths.
What we need is making biking on the highway illegal. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. The difference in speed is WAY too big, and a helmet won't prevent you from getting killed if you get hit by a car that goes 80 while you go 15.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:32 am

Brenda Brenda:
What we need is making biking on the highway illegal. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. The difference in speed is WAY too big, and a helmet won't prevent you from getting killed if you get hit by a car that goes 80 while you go 15.

Jeez, guess I'll have to avoid your town next time I do a tour thru BC.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:35 am

andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:

You should. Unless you have no problem peddling up the Montrose Hill going 3 km/hr, swerving, while cars pass you by at 80+.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:36 am

Brenda Brenda:
andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:

You should. Unless you have no problem peddling up the Montrose Hill going 3 km/hr, swerving, while cars pass you by at 80+.

Think about the hills that lead to your little burg that I would have already done that on. Hills are part of the fun. Cars are OK as long as they have enough sense to give you room, and mostly they do.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:42 am

So what is your argument then? You keep going on "what if a car hits you", now you say, "mostly they give you room", and I say "helmets won't prevent you from getting killed if you get hit by a car".

I just do not see the use of using helmets while on a bike, unless they are mandatory for pedestrians too.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:43 am

andyt andyt:
Brenda Brenda:

Put a bike helmet on that watermelon, throw it at 10 kph at the wall, see what happens.