Tricks Tricks:
Under what authority?

Arrest who?

Arrest you ?

Under what authority?

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:13 pm

I would say that there is a case to be made for his arrest on charges of violation of the Geneva Convention. That warrant is good anywhere and being a citizen of another country is not a protection.

I merely point out that, also, it is a violation of America's own laws relating to War Crimes.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:15 pm

Yup...... the world court is chomping at the bit to have him arrested and prosecuted.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:19 pm

The only thing anyone even wants to remember about Cheney is never to go hunting with him....

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:47 am

sandorski sandorski:
Proculation Proculation:
We should arrest Obama next time he comes in Canada. He called the shot to kill Bin Laden. What about the human rights of Oussama??? R.I.P. OBL.

Obama hasn't broken nor admitted to breaking any International Laws.

Except for, you know, this stuff.

But Cheney is so far down on the court's docket he's not worth talking about. You have Jackson for defying a direct Supreme Court ruling and putting the Cherokee on a death march, Lincoln for putting the Navajo on a death march, FDR with his internment camps and the fire-bombing of Dresden, Truman and using the atomic bomb on civilian areas, etc.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:33 am

sandorski sandorski:
I wouldn't complain if someone Arrested him.

And don't complain when the USA comes looking for him.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:41 am

eureka eureka:
I would say that there is a case to be made for his arrest on charges of violation of the Geneva Convention. That warrant is good anywhere and being a citizen of another country is not a protection.

I merely point out that, also, it is a violation of America's own laws relating to War Crimes.

In 2002 this came up with regards to Bill Clinton's illegal actions against Yugoslavia and some clever Euro lawyers threatened to have him arrested while he was in Italy on a trip. The US State Department informed The Hague that arresting former President Clinton would be viewed as a 'grave act against the interests of the United States of America.'

For those of you who do not speak diplospeak, this is how nations tell other nations that if you do this thing you say you want to do then we won't be on speaking terms anymore.

Arresting Cheney would result in bloodshed and Obama himself would be powerless to stop it because there are mechanisms in place in the USA to prevent this kind of thing from occuring. Also, Obama would not allow the precedent of a former administration official to be arrested because then once he's out of office his successor could easily arrange a similar fate for Mr. Obama.

Summary: It won't happen. Not to any former US President or VP. Period.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:03 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
eureka eureka:

In 2002 this came up with regards to Bill Clinton's illegal actions against Yugoslavia and some clever Euro lawyers threatened to have him arrested while he was in Italy on a trip. The US State Department informed The Hague that arresting former President Clinton would be viewed as a 'grave act against the interests of the United States of America.'

For those of you who do not speak diplospeak, this is how nations tell other nations that if you do this thing you say you want to do then we won't be on speaking terms anymore.

Arresting Cheney would result in bloodshed and Obama himself would be powerless to stop it because there are mechanisms in place in the USA to prevent this kind of thing from occuring. Also, Obama would not allow the precedent of a former administration official to be arrested because then once he's out of office his successor could easily arrange a similar fate for Mr. Obama.

Summary: It won't happen. Not to any former US President or VP. Period.

You're right, it probably won't, but it should.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:03 am

DanSC DanSC:
sandorski sandorski:
Proculation Proculation:
We should arrest Obama next time he comes in Canada. He called the shot to kill Bin Laden. What about the human rights of Oussama??? R.I.P. OBL.

Obama hasn't broken nor admitted to breaking any International Laws.

Except for, you know, this stuff.

But Cheney is so far down on the court's docket he's not worth talking about. You have Jackson for defying a direct Supreme Court ruling and putting the Cherokee on a death march, Lincoln for putting the Navajo on a death march, FDR with his internment camps and the fire-bombing of Dresden, Truman and using the atomic bomb on civilian areas, etc.

What stuff?

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:05 am

sandorski sandorski:
What stuff?

Oh nothing, just bombing civilians in Pakistan.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:31 am

DanSC DanSC:
sandorski sandorski:
What stuff?

Got a Precedent where that has been an arrestable offense in International Law?

What Cheney has admitted to has Precedent.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:42 am

sandorski sandorski:
DanSC DanSC:
sandorski sandorski:
What stuff?

Got a Precedent where that has been an arrestable offense in International Law?

I'm pretty sure attacking civilians has been a war crime for a while now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:07 am

DanSC DanSC:

Israel would be in big trouble then.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:15 am

Tricks Tricks:
And charge him with what? Something that happened in another country? DERP

$1:
An American human rights group wants Canada to bring criminal charges against former U.S. vice-president Dick Cheney for his alleged role in the torture of Canadians Maher Arar and Omar Khadr.

$1:
• Marc Emery is a Canadian citizen who never went to the USA as a seed seller.

• Marc Emery operated his seed business in Canada at all times, with no American branches or employees.

• Marc Emery declared his income from marijuana seed sales on his income tax, and paid over $580,000 to the Federal and Provincial governments from 1999 to 2005.

Too bad Cheney didn't sell seeds, he only tortured people.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
 Los Angeles Kings
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:20 am

Curtman Curtman:
DanSC DanSC:

Israel would be in big trouble then.

You're assuming war crimes are prosecuted evenly on everyone.