bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:05 pm

peck420 peck420:
Then they should do what the Provincial School Boards do...oh forget it, never going to happen.

It could happen if we closed the reserves, treat these people like all Canadians,
and have their kids in the same schools learning the same things as
other kids.. inside the Provincial system.

problem solved.

CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Edmonton Oilers
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:24 pm

peck420 peck420:
Unsound Unsound:
I'm guessing you don't have much construction experience. When you get further from the city you pay more for materials, because they have to be shipped further. And you pay more for labour because guys ghave to be put up in hotels, fed, and generally they'll want more pay to make up for being away from their homes and families.

Not necessarily.

It really depends on a lot more factors than just proximity.

We did a school in Ponoka that cost far less than an very similar school in Edmonton.

Transportation was slightly cheaper (most materials come from Calgary or further south), labour was more expensive, and land was significantly cheaper.

However, if you had gone the same distance (100km) north of Edmonton as opposed to south, it would have cost substantially more.

I probably should've clafified that my experiences are mainl;y with northern Alberta. Another factor that should probably be considered when talking about construcion on reserves is that a lot of times the contractors are required to give a certain number of jobs to local people. Sadly, most of the locals tend to be kind of... useless. What with being inexoperienced, and running on "Indian time". When they bother to show up at all. This means the contracters have to bring in even more people from outside to make up for the locals. And of course it generally takes longer to to complete the job.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:30 pm

Macguyver Macguyver:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:

For public schools, maybe. For Native schools, teachers aren't paid on par with their public, union backed counterparts.

And you know that for sure? I give you a chance to verify your facts (guesses).

Ok, let me spell it our real simple like, apparently you don't have quite the brain power I've given you credit for, and that was not much to begin with.

1) You made the above blanket statement "teachers aren't paid on par with their public, union backed counterparts."
2) The link clearly states that their teachers are paid on the same grid as the provincial grid on Waterhen, as they are on many, many First Nations- "the same" means "par".

Apparently the extra they spent on your education was a waste.

Now get back under the porch boy or I'll whip you again!

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:06 pm

They are paid almost the same...when they get their pay. Teaching in a provincial school, you were guaranteed your pay was in full and on time. Many times those teaching in band schools had to race to the Northern Store to cash their cheques before the money disappeared.

My wife and I both worked for Frontier School Division. and there were several times we had to loan money to friends who worked at the band run school. There was one seminar we were at in Winnipeg and the teachers attending from Gods Lake band school couldn't cash their pay cheques(not the first time it happened and sadly, not the last). God's Lake Narrows which is the Metis community on the island (Crown land), had a provincial school, also a FSD school. They all had their pay. The pay is just one of the many problems teachers can face working in band schools. There were plenty of tales from northern teachers who often felt like they were living in bunkers. It's not hard to understand why reserves have a hard time securing quality teachers. Two years is about the maximum most teachers will stay in the north(fly in and band schools).

$1:

It seems the only beating you'll be engaged in is the self flagellation of your genitalia.

Last edited by ShepherdsDog on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Macguyver Macguyver:
Macguyver Macguyver:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:

For public schools, maybe. For Native schools, teachers aren't paid on par with their public, union backed counterparts.

Ok, let me spell it our real simple like, apparently you don't have quite the brain power I've given you credit for, and that was not much to begin with.

1) You made the above blanket statement "teachers aren't paid on par with their public, union backed counterparts."
2) The link clearly states that their teachers are paid on the same grid as the provincial grid on Waterhen, as they are on many, many First Nations- "the same" means "par".

Please show me actual facts that all teachers at all 500+ native schools are paid on par with their Provincial counterparts.

Anything? Anything? Bueller? Bueller?

From your own article:

$1:
Even though the doors freeze shut and the windows leak, repairs to the teacherages aren’t the top priority for Waterhen Lake. More than anything, Mr. Walter wants to see his staff offered the same pay and job security as their peers in provincially run schools.

Why would he be asking for something they already get?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:29 pm

Macguyver Macguyver:
Macguyver Macguyver:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:

Funny, my old Headmaster back in the UK was Canadian. He worked in a lumber camp for two summers somewhere up north. He told the very same stories about FN 'workers' not turning up, being useless etc.

That was in the 1950's. Time stands still in the FN world.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:55 pm

$1:
Time stands still in the FN world.

'Indian Time' is cultural. They hunted when they needed to eat, traded when they needed/wanted something they couldn't produce themselves and repaired things when they needed them. Clocks and calendars, outside of seasons(and cheque days), really have no meaning to them.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:06 pm

ShepherdsDog ShepherdsDog:
$1:
Time stands still in the FN world.

'Indian Time' is cultural. They hunted when they needed to eat, traded when they needed/wanted something they couldn't produce themselves and repaired things when they needed them. Clocks and calendars, outside of seasons(and cheque days), really have no meaning to them.

Yeah, I hear that a lot. I might buy that for the remote northern villages, but the urban bands and semi-urban bands... not so much.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:14 pm

hard to find any 'Indians' on those reserves too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:07 am

OnTheIce OnTheIce:

Please show me actual facts that all teachers at all 500+ native schools are paid on par with their Provincial counterparts.

From your own article:

$1:
Even though the doors freeze shut and the windows leak, repairs to the teacherages aren’t the top priority for Waterhen Lake. More than anything, Mr. Walter wants to see his staff offered the same pay and job security as their peers in provincially run schools.

Ok, one more time and I'll try to make it as simple as I can for you.

1) You made the blanket statement: "For Native schools, teachers aren't paid on par with their public, union backed counterparts."
2) Clearly the article states that at this moment the teachers on Waterhen are paid on the same grid as their provincial counterparts.

End of argument. I never said they all were, because I know that that all are not. But I do know that many are paid on par with the provincial grid.

If you would have said "many of the native school teachers are not paid the same as their provincial counterparts" then you would have been more correct, I don't have actual figures but there are many other bands that pay on the grid.

And the problem is, they seem to be having some successes and they cannot continue to pay their teachers on par with the province because there is not enough funding to match those salaries. And therefore the children will suffer. Which you seem to be OK with even though you'll be footing the bill for the large chunk of those kids who will not be able to compete in the real world because we have short changed their education funding.

Wow, like how many posts do you have and why don't you just admit that your statement was incorrect?? Are you that stupid?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:09 am

Macguyver Macguyver:
OnTheIce OnTheIce:

From your own article:

$1:

Ok, one more time and I'll try to make it as simple as I can for you.

1) You made the blanket statement: "For Native schools, teachers aren't paid on par with their public, union backed counterparts."
2) Clearly the article states that at this moment the teachers on Waterhen are paid on the same grid as their provincial counterparts.

End of argument. I never said they all were, because I know that that all are not. But I do know that many are paid on par with the provincial grid.

If you would have said "many of the native school teachers are not paid the same as their provincial counterparts" then you would have been more correct, I don't have actual figures but there are many other bands that pay on the grid.

And the problem is, they seem to be having some successes and they cannot continue to pay their teachers on par with the province because there is not enough funding to match those salaries. And therefore the children will suffer. Which you seem to be OK with even though you'll be footing the bill for the large chunk of those kids who will not be able to compete in the real world because we have short changed their education funding.

Wow, like how many posts do you have and why don't you just admit that your statement was incorrect?? Are you that stupid?

Sorry, the vast majority of the teachers aren't paid on par with their Provincial counterparts.

Happy?

I don't expect you to have actual figures. You rarely come to the table with anything of substance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:09 am

Fair enough. [B-o]