canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:14 pm

I am working on one on defence spending that I will try to send in by the weekend. I am also willing to send them as often as I possibly can. The only deterrent will be a suitable subject and writer's block.

Last edited by bootlegga on Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Toronto Maple Leafs

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:09 pm

Phew, for I second I thought this idea would out and be unpopular. :roll:

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:10 am

great to see some interest!

dimoreien that topic sounds fine, as long as it has some tie to Canada. Doens't have to be a "news" story or current event.

Wullu, crystalsm you can certainly submit stuff like that.
But if it is more of an article like history facts, that kinda thing it would probably fit better in the content section www.canadaka.net/content
it will have more of a perminent place there.

But if its an article that has a lot of opionion would be better as a editorial.

People that submit an article will certainly get points, will make it a high amount too, 30 points

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:16 am

I am still trying to get this section going, I have removed all the old news from view. So the section has a clean slate to start from.

To get things rolling I will give away a free t-shirt to the first approved Editorial news article that reaches 100 reads.

www.canadaka.net/modules.php?name=submit_news

Editorials are not 2 sentance posts, they are full articles well written and should be fairly professional, no spelling and gramatical mistakes.

If anyone has any ideas how I can get the ball rolling, speak up.
If someone is a very keen and good writer and wants to write regularly I can certainly try and work out some sort of compensation based on how well the articles do.

Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:23 am

Canadaka Canadaka:
im a bit disapointed, not a single submission yet. Going to be hard to get people to write news articles.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to attract people let me know.

------------------------------------------

To hopefully start off the new editorials I will give a free t-shirt to the article that gets the most reads/rating in the next 2 weeks.

So hopefully this might motivate some to write and submit some articles, so in the case there is a number of articles posted in the next week, the one that gets the most views and ratings will get the free shirt.

Also if someone wants to be a regular writer/contributor I will give them free gold membership.

----------------------------------------

note a column or editorial that is just say a paragraph long will not be accepted, I am looking for proper newspaper or large news site type material. You certainly don't have to be a profesional, but should look somewhat professional.

I will be happy to make submissions How many words per article? (question of length and structure.)

Forum Elite
Forum Elite
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:55 am

I'll see what I can do. But someone will have to spell check my work because I know my english suck :wink:

Forum Elite
Forum Elite

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:05 am

Firecat Firecat:
Canadaka Canadaka:
im a bit disapointed, not a single submission yet. Going to be hard to get people to write news articles.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to attract people let me know.

------------------------------------------

To hopefully start off the new editorials I will give a free t-shirt to the article that gets the most reads/rating in the next 2 weeks.

So hopefully this might motivate some to write and submit some articles, so in the case there is a number of articles posted in the next week, the one that gets the most views and ratings will get the free shirt.

Also if someone wants to be a regular writer/contributor I will give them free gold membership.

----------------------------------------

note a column or editorial that is just say a paragraph long will not be accepted, I am looking for proper newspaper or large news site type material. You certainly don't have to be a profesional, but should look somewhat professional.

I will be happy to make submissions How many words per article? (question of length and structure.)

As an idea of typical newspaper article lengths, if I recall correctly an op-ed page opinion piece is 500-750 words. 1000 - 1500 with a photo fills a page. 1000 words without a photo fills the half-page (above or below the fold)

Site Admin
Site Admin
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:02 am

yes something between 500-1000 words fits the bill.

UPDATE

I made some significant changes to the editorial submission page, to make the process easier.

I was getting a lot of submissions are were not meeting the requirments I am looking for, so I added some more guidlines and more instructions on the submission page.

I also change the system to include a field to upload a picture, this picture is a small thumbnail that is used to draw attention to the article. It is displayed on the front-page and the editorials page.

Its pretty nifty, you don't need to spend time making a thumbnail in photoshop, you can upload any size JPG and the site will allow you to crop the image, by drawing a square box over the image, where you want the image to be cropped. This way the images are always the same size, and no extra photo editing work is required by the submitter.

I updated some of the past articles with this new feature, to see it in action look here: http://www.canadaka.net/news
the images are also repeated on the article page itself.

I look forward to recieving more editorial submissions, any suggestions are welcome.