Login 
canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:18 am

I propose that getting tough on crime means that we need to take the determiniation of manditory sentencing out of the hands of politically motivated people.

I propose that we titrate the manditory sentencing with an automated formula that is designed to seek a minimum rate of reoffending.

With such a system, any factors like Failed rehabilitation would have an impact on the sentencing of future criminals.

What do you guys think? Is this a good start?

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:45 am

ASLplease ASLplease:
I propose that getting tough on crime means that we need to take the determiniation of manditory sentencing out of the hands of politically motivated people.

I propose that we titrate the manditory sentencing with an automated formula that is designed to seek a minimum rate of reoffending.

With such a system, any factors like Failed rehabilitation would have an impact on the sentencing of future criminals.

What do you guys think? Is this a good start?

It depends on the crime and the goals of sentencing. Most of the research I've read concludes that nothing good comes from over-incarcerting. I'm all for mandatory sentencing, on the grounds of 'segregation', for many violent crimes. For rehabilitation reasons, however, I think sentencing restraint is often a better course of action. I like the fact that judges have some leeway. Each case is different and minimum sentences create round holes for square pegs.

That said, there are some crimes that I think should come with automatic life-sentences on conviction. No parole. Ever. Murder, child-sex crimes and crimes committed with a firearm would fall in that category.

I also believe in minimum sentences for repeat offenders. There are lots of armed robbers, for example, who were dumb kids that made a mistake. Even though this is a very violent crime, many can be re-habilitated and become productive citizens. But if a guy repeats the crime, thereby proving that his first time in prison didn't result in rehabilitation, then fuck him. Life sentence, no parole. I like "Two strikes and you're out" as a rule for just about any violent crime, the exceptions being the ones where the "One strike and you're out" rule applies.

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:23 am

research and opinions have great value in this matter, but what is wrong with titrating the minimum sentences until we have achieved the best outcome that we can?

If you are not sure what I mean by titrating, please look it up.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:25 am

ASLplease ASLplease:
research and opinions have great value in this matter, but what is wrong with titrating the minimum sentences until we have achieved the best outcome that we can?

If you are not sure what I mean by titrating, please look it up.

I was interested in your thread, but that was rude. :roll:

CKA Elite
CKA Elite
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:28 am

sorry, it wasn't meant to be rude.

It;s just that the titrating thing was my primary point. I guess I could have wrote things in a way that highlighted it more than I did.