canadian forums
bottom

Canadian Forums

Author Topic Options
CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:25 am

Title: Buzz Lightyear the first man on the moon?
Category: World
Posted By: WDHIII
Date: 2010-03-15 10:15:44

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:25 am

It's fantastic that American children will have some one to relate to.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:43 am

Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:

Reading comprehension just isn't your thing, is it? :wink:

The article is about British kids, not American kids.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
Mr_Canada Mr_Canada:

Reading comprehension just isn't your thing, is it? :wink:

The article is about British kids, not American kids.

I think he was referring to the US educational system not being all that shit hot right now either. But then again, Canada isn't all that far behind either.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Ottawa Senators

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:51 am

This is so sad. On so many levels...

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:52 am

PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:
I think he was referring to the US educational system not being all that shit hot right now either. But then again, Canada isn't all that far behind either.

The only problem with the US educational system is a lack of funding.

Or so the teacher's union keeps telling me. :roll:

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:57 am

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
PublicAnimalNo9 PublicAnimalNo9:

The only problem with the US educational system is a lack of funding.

Or so the teacher's union keeps telling me. :roll:

I can certainly see that being the case in some areas. However I think it really has more to do with not wanting to fail little Johnny cuz he might develop a complex over it. This is certainly true in Ontario anyway.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:46 pm

$1:
"While some of these findings will raise a smile, it suggests that school children aren't tuned into our scientific heroes in the same way that they might be to sporting or music legends," said Dr. Pam Waddell of Birmingham Science City.

Um, that's because music and sports have a more personal impact to us than some egghead who created or discovered something that many use but few understand. Music and sports stars usually reveal they are flawed and are only human. Scientists rarely do.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:58 pm

QBall QBall:
$1:
"While some of these findings will raise a smile, it suggests that school children aren't tuned into our scientific heroes in the same way that they might be to sporting or music legends," said Dr. Pam Waddell of Birmingham Science City.

Um, that's because music and sports have a more personal impact to us than some egghead who created or discovered something that many use but few understand. Music and sports stars usually reveal they are flawed and are only human. Scientists rarely do.

It's also because the educational establishment has spent the past 40-50 years deconstructing heroes instead of holding them up as role models. Consequently, we now have the advent of a generation who holds no one in high esteem.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:41 pm

Meh. Nine and ten year olds. Halrf of them were just writingt down joke answers anyways. I totally would have put down Buzz Lightyear when I was ten. Probably still would actually.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Toronto Maple Leafs
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:58 pm

Yeah really, I mean c'mon, everybody knows the moon landings were hoaxes anyway right?
I'll leave it to you guys to decide if I'm serious or not :P :lol:

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:13 pm

Considering the contestants I see on various shows and the reality TV that comes out of the states lately, I’ll bet the American children wouldn’t fare any better in the same kind of quiz. :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:36 pm

QBall QBall:
$1:

Really? A basketball or baseball player who get paid millions has less impact on your life, compared to say, a microwave oven? Or velcro? How about airbags or antilock brakes? Can a 3 pointer save your life? Why does society revere people who entertain us over people who make out lives better?

Like Bart says, our priorities are ass-backwards. Dean Kamen, Ed Witten, Marc Tilden - these are a few of the people I hold in high regard. I can't actually name any sports people (outside of F1) off the top of my head.

If you think scientists can't have personal scandals, just read a climate change thread around here once in a while.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:03 pm

DrCaleb DrCaleb:
Can a 3 pointer save your life?

No, but an O/T goal by your team in the Olympic Gold Medal Hockey Game can really, really enrich it for a time. :lol:

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:10 pm

lol quite so!