Category: Showbiz
Posted By: DrCaleb
Date: 2018-06-08 05:18:57
Canadian

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:22 am

R=EM

If I could have any other life, I'd want his. :( Why he'd take his own life I'll never understand.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:57 am

Great writer, chef and journalist with many demons.

Fair winds and following seas Anthony, you made the world a better place.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:21 am

Wretched news to wake up to. He was a really entertaining guy and a hell of a chef to boot.

But just like Kate Spade a few days ago, it shows that whatever his reasons that he took his own life, they can afflict anyone from the rich and successful to everyone else.

RIP

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:40 am

Ohh! Apparently his body was discovered by his long time friend and fellow Chef, Eric Ripert. :(

That has to suck. Both Bourdain and Chef Ripert passed my fathers' measuring stick of 'would you sit and have a beer with them?'.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:58 am

I just heard this on the way into the office. :(

His book "Kitchen Confidential" is a must-read for any young person starting out in life and if anyone here hasn't read it then I highly recommend it.

He fought his way back from drug addiction and made something of his life. I'm so sorry that he succumbed to whatever it was he thought he couldn't overcome and I will say that I will deeply miss hearing his savoire-faire take on life and vicariously enjoying his travels around the world.

RIP Tony.

CKA Moderator
CKA Moderator
 Vancouver Canucks

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:03 am

From the Washington Examiner:

$1:
President Trump said Friday he was shocked to hear CNN host and celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain took his own life while in France.

Bourdain, 61, was found dead in his hotel room after apparently hanging himself, CNN reported. He was in the process of filming an upcoming episode for “Parts Unknown.”

Trump said he was a fan of Bourdain’s show and extended condolences to Bourdain’s family.

“I want to extend to his family my heartfelt condolences,” Trump told reporters Friday. “That was very shocking. When I woke up this morning, Anthony Bourdain is dead. I enjoyed his show.”

“He was quite a character,” Trump continued.

Bourdain, who was critical of Trump, joked in 2017 that he would poison the president if he had to cook for him.

Bourdain is the second high-profile figure to die of suicide this week. Fashion designer Kate Spade was found dead in her home earlier this week after taking her own life.

Trump also sent his condolences to Spade’s family.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:06 am

I never enjoyed a TV show about food or travel nearly as much before - such gusto, humour and insight. A big loss.

Last edited by Sunnyways on Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:26 am

It's so sad to see such a great writer, chef and all-round interesting person take their lives. :(

RIP Anthony Bourdain

CKA Uber
CKA Uber

GROUP_AVATAR
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:07 am

RIP [B-o]

Gone to soon Mr. Bourdain, which is sad because he's one of the few celebrities I could actually stomach. He was genuine in his zest for life and authenticity showed through in his program.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:19 pm

Saw a good quote from him a while back...

Attachments:
127D973B-BB12-488C-A927-836BA4A87275.jpeg
127D973B-BB12-488C-A927-836BA4A87275.jpeg [ 170.47 KiB | Viewed 539 times ]
CKA Super Elite
CKA Super Elite
 Vancouver Canucks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:17 pm

BartSimpson BartSimpson:
From the Washington Examiner:

$1:
President Trump said Friday he was shocked to hear CNN host and celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain took his own life while in France.

Bourdain, 61, was found dead in his hotel room after apparently hanging himself, CNN reported. He was in the process of filming an upcoming episode for “Parts Unknown.”

Trump said he was a fan of Bourdain’s show and extended condolences to Bourdain’s family.

“I want to extend to his family my heartfelt condolences,” Trump told reporters Friday. “That was very shocking. When I woke up this morning, Anthony Bourdain is dead. I enjoyed his show.”

“He was quite a character,” Trump continued.

Bourdain, who was critical of Trump, joked in 2017 that he would poison the president if he had to cook for him.

Bourdain is the second high-profile figure to die of suicide this week. Fashion designer Kate Spade was found dead in her home earlier this week after taking her own life.

Trump also sent his condolences to Spade’s family.

Parts Unknown was the only good thing about CNN.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:41 pm

Here's a New Yorker piece:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017 ... able-feast

Some info on the recent Newfoundland episode:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl ... -1.4698377

And a typically funny - and sad - vignette about music and meat on Day 6 with Brent Bambury (for fellow techno-
morons, click on the link and it appears at the bottom):

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/in-2010-an ... -1.4696371

Bourdain never shied away from the reality of food - several episodes contain slaughter scenes which are a salutary wake-up call for urban viewers who may have never visited a working farm or an abbatoir. He could embrace that difficulty and encourage us to do so as well.

Like any brilliant performer he made it all look so easy. I remember watching him dine at dusk beside the sea in Marseille and thinking what a life. He and famed chef Eric Ripert looked like brothers out on the town in their shades:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/mars ... index.html

Which helped with the buddy pic theme. Their spell in the pizza truck struggling to serve customers is typical of the wonderful series.

Last edited by Sunnyways on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKA Uber
CKA Uber
 Montreal Canadiens
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:57 pm

Sunnyways Sunnyways:
Like any brilliant performer he made it all look so easy. I remember watching him dine at dusk beside the sea in Marseille and thinking what a life. He and famed chef Eric Ripert looked like brothers out on the town in their shades:

I've had lunch on the beach in Marseille. Meh.
You don't go out for dinner at dusk unless you are in a group or have security around.
That's how it all looks so easy.
You really think Bourdain walked around all those 'interesting' places without
the security you never see ?

If you want to visit the CWGC cemetery in Marseille, you have to call the gardener in advance,
and have him unlock the gates for you. The cemetery is completely enclosed with a 3m high wall.
It used to be a quiet place in the countryside, now it is smack in the middle of one the
many 'no go' zones.
It was so bad when the wife and I went to visit, one of us stayed outside to guard the bikes,
while the other went inside.

Only cemetery in Europe that is like this that I know of, although it seems
they may need some walls for the D-Day cemeteries soon enough.

Here, feast on the Lieberals tears.

Marseille is a cesspit. And it is not France.

Forum Super Elite
Forum Super Elite
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:00 am

martin14 martin14:
Sunnyways Sunnyways:

I've had lunch on the beach in Marseille. Meh.
You don't go out for dinner at dusk unless you are in a group or have security around.
That's how it all looks so easy.
You really think Bourdain walked around all those 'interesting' places without
the security you never see ?

If you want to visit the CWGC cemetery in Marseille, you have to call the gardener in advance,
and have him unlock the gates for you. The cemetery is completely enclosed with a 3m high wall.
It used to be a quiet place in the countryside, now it is smack in the middle of one the
many 'no go' zones.
It was so bad when the wife and I went to visit, one of us stayed outside to guard the bikes,
while the other went inside.

Only cemetery in Europe that is like this that I know of, although it seems
they may need some walls for the D-Day cemeteries soon enough.

Here, feast on the Lieberals tears.

Marseille is a cesspit. And it is not France.

. I picked it just as an example of a beautifully shot episode. He made many locations LOOK fun to visit.

Last edited by Sunnyways on Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.